Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>For those cell customers of Verizon
Eleven 03:55 PM 12-08-2010
This is still good as of today (12-08-10). The wife upgraded our account today. We have 4 lines. It would have raised our monthly bill around 20 bucks, but because my wife gets a discount with Verizon through the hospital she works out, it all evened out. Virtually no change in our bill.

The beauty is now she can get a smart phone and my kid can get my old blackberry storm, soon as I get a new battery for it, and we are paying the same amount.

Thanks for this heads up!
[Reply]
Eleven 04:33 PM 12-08-2010
P.S.

The wife just asked me if I received this via my business' email :-)

I didn't bother telling her all the details, and she was asked by the customer service rep where we heard of this offer. The rep said 'We only send this to certain people' and my wife just naturally answered 'My husband probably received this on his business email account, he just told me to call and make it happen'

Nice!
[Reply]
Goldie 06:50 PM 12-08-2010
That's funny. Call and make it happen.

Glad to hear it worked out for ya.
[Reply]
Eleven 10:40 AM 12-14-2010
FYI. I tried to activate a Blackberry with this new plan and found out that it DOES NOT work.

You still need to sign up for, and pay for a data plan to use Blackberries and Droids with this new plan. I am still unsure exactly what DATA means on this plan, all I know is you cannot use it for smart phones as is.

Here is the relevant portion of the email I received when I inquired about this discrepancy:

"I am sorry to learn of the confusion surrounding an Unlimited Data plan and an add on Data plan." "Since you are activating a Motorola Droid2 and Blackberry Storm, you will need to choose a data feature in addition to your calling plan in order to perform data-related functions such as checking e-mail, surfing the Internet or transferring files. You may choose from the following data plans:

• 150-Megabyte (MB) Personal E-mail and Web Feature: This feature is $15.00 monthly access. Please note that this feature will provide only 150 MB to for web browsing, application usage and access personal e-mail accounts. Each time you exceed 150 MB, you will be billed an additional $15.00 and receive another 150 MB of data to use. Since Smartphones are data intensive, this plan is not recommended.

• Unlimited Personal E-mail and Web Feature: $29.99 monthly access. E-mail and Web for Smartphone is an easy-to-use e-mail solution that provides unlimited access to the Internet, apps, and personal e-mail services such as Yahoo!, Windows Live, AOL, AIM and Verizon.net (plus other POP3/IMAP providers such as Google Gmail, Comcast, or RoadRunner for select devices). E-mail and Web for Smartphone is not for Enterprise E-mail - i.e. Exchange Active Sync, Wireless Sync, BlackBerry or Good Mobile Messaging."

So...I have no friggin clue what this new plan was supposed to accomplish, it sure didn't do what it sounded like it was going to do.

Caveat Emptor.
[Reply]
J0eybb 05:15 PM 12-14-2010
The lady made sure I understood that I needed to sign up for their unlimited data plan.

3 phones
My bill is now 162 after taxes as opposed to 190 with only one phone with unlimited data, and one phone 150MBs.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:18 PM 12-14-2010
Ours worked with three Blackberry phones on our plan. I am confused why they told you otherwise. :-)

We aren't saving a ton, but it should be between $10-$20 a month and my wife didn't have a smartphone before the change. :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 06:05 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Ours worked with three Blackberry phones on our plan. I am confused why they told you otherwise. :-)

We aren't saving a ton, but it should be between $10-$20 a month and my wife didn't have a smartphone before the change. :-)
Some clarification:

They didn't tell me otherwise, I had tried to activate the phone online, and was redirected to a step that required me to choose a data plan. I stopped there and sent the email.

The email I quoted earlier was more cryptic than the website, so we called them tonight. We were told that to do it online, we HAVE to go through that step, but it will not affect our bill. The plan has a built in discount to adjust for the plan you choose.

So, gonna try again tonight or tomorrow, waiting on a friend to cough up his used Storm 2!

What the rep said on the phone made sense, the website is not setup to accommodate this new plan. You have to go through the step of choosing a plan and you automatically get a $20 discount on your monthly bill.

We'll see when the bill comes!

Has anyone else added a new smartphone to this plan and come across the confusion I have?
[Reply]
J0eybb 07:07 PM 12-14-2010
I activated a new Droid2, and had no problems. I activated the plan before getting the phone.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up