Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>New lighter ideas needed
OHMatt 07:53 AM 03-18-2010
I don't care for multi-jet torches. If you typically smoke jaw buster ring gauge cigars, I can see how they might be appealing.

My advice would be get a PB-207 or St. Dupont X-Tend if you are looking for an improvement to $3.00 Ronson lighters. Ronson lighters are tough and reliable. In my opinion, most $20 - $50 lighters are much more problematic.. The mid-priced lighters (between the cheapest and the top of the line) are the ones I suggest you avoid. They typically have the internals/mechanisms of the cheapies but have a fancy enclosure.

There is a lot of merit to sub >$5 lighters from DealExtreme and Ronson. You can put extra lighters in your briefcase, car door, glove box, cigar caddy, etc, etc, just in case you forget the other or run out of fuel. I bought a bunch of these from DX, and all of them have performed well for 3 years now. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1456
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:56 AM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
What do you use to refill them? I like the look of these.
Butane. Send me your addy and I'll send you one. I have several.
[Reply]
TripleF 07:58 AM 03-18-2010
Zippo case with a Z-Plus Insert!! :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:05 AM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by perogee:
you are lucky, the one that I bought has given me nothing but troubles, and I have received zero help from "customer service", personally I cannot recommend these.
Robert and I have discussed this via pm and I would guess that it is a fuel quality or purge issue, and have asked him about this. While I have had very good performance with good fuels, it is possible that it has a purge problem or some poor fuel. He has not responded since my 2/5 inquiry of what type of fuel he has used and if he went through a purge process link I sent him.
http://www.articlesbase.com/hobbies-...r-1321334.html
Robert also has a issue with being in Canada and the shipping with the mfr. I think. This is something I can't change, and really didn't foresee as far as warranty coverage, but have offered a suggestion to Robert to have a US based BOTL help him out.
The warranty on the Ever Torches has been reduced to 2 years rather than lifetime, unfortunately, but that is still a hell of a lot better than 90 days or none. I still sell them, and think they are a quality product, and have had very good reports of the companies customer service from the few BOTLs that have had an issue.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 08:59 AM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by OHMatt:
I don't care for multi-jet torches. If you typically smoke jaw buster ring gauge cigars, I can see how they might be appealing.
I can see that...I have a Colibri tripple torch that I use for my large ring gage cigars and a Blazer for my smaller gage cigars. I also tend to use either my Ronson or my Blazer for touch ups because I've destroyed a cigar before by attempting to touch it up with the tripple.

Just my :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:13 AM 03-18-2010
Robert has let me know he found out what was up with his torch. "I took it apart and fixed it myself (one of the parts was not shaped right, so it did not operate the valve correctly)."
and
"it was sliding around a little, so it would engage the valve differently everytime it was operated"
Glad to know you solved the issue. Thanks to (tx)Ohiomatt and his posts on lighters, they are fairly simple devices to tweak when you are somewhat mechanically inclined.
[Reply]
jmsremax 09:31 AM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by OHMatt:

My advice would be get a PB-207 or St. Dupont X-Tend if you are looking for an improvement to $3.00 Ronson lighters. Ronson lighters are tough and reliable. In my opinion, most $20 - $50 lighters are much more problematic.. The mid-priced lighters (between the cheapest and the top of the line) are the ones I suggest you avoid. They typically have the internals/mechanisms of the cheapies but have a fancy enclosure.

There is a lot of merit to sub >$5 lighters from DealExtreme and Ronson. You can put extra lighters in your briefcase, car door, glove box, cigar caddy, etc, etc, just in case you forget the other or run out of fuel. I bought a bunch of these from DX, and all of them have performed well for 3 years now. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1456
Thanks for the advice and I will look at the ones you mentioned. I typically go for robustos so it can take a while to light one up (the correct way).
[Reply]
Katmancross 07:19 PM 01-18-2011
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
Hey Guys/Gals,

I have been using Ronson jetlites for months now, but it takes awhile to adequately light the foot and my lighters seem to run out of butane quite fast. Don't get me wrong for $2.97 I can't complain, but I would like a better lighter. I was wondering if anyone uses double or triple torch. I've seen some videos of cigar reviews with people using triple torches and it takes a few seconds to get the cigar lit. Any recommendations and thoughts appreciated. :-)
I've had a Blazer for 3 months. I'm a sworn fan. The fuel tank is so huge or the mechanism that uses the fuel is so efficient that I have yet had the need to put more fuel in it. This week, I attempted to fill it thinking it had to be low, and it only allowed 3 seconds before it was done.
It lights every time, first time.
This is a winner and worth the $50.
[Reply]
Bayou Tiger 09:49 PM 01-18-2011
I have some kind of Xixar double flame that a buddy gave me. I really like this lighter, especially for lighting smokes outside. I just have to be careful to not scorch the wrapper when I use it :-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:02 AM 01-19-2011
For some reason every pricey lighter I've ever owned won't light consistently, gets lost, or is too bulky. I've stuck with Ronsons for some time now as I can't seem to lose them, they always light, and they're the perfect size to carry around.
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:24 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
For some reason every pricey lighter I've ever owned won't light consistently, gets lost, or is too bulky. I've stuck with Ronsons for some time now as I can't seem to lose them, they always light, and they're the perfect size to carry around.
:-)

It's crazy that a $4 lighter is more dependable than it's $35-40 counterpart.
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:37 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
:-)

It's crazy that a $4 lighter is more dependable than it's $35-40 counterpart.
And I use $2.98 Ronson fuel in all of them.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up