Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>New lighter ideas needed
jmsremax 02:16 PM 03-17-2010
Hey Guys/Gals,

I have been using Ronson jetlites for months now, but it takes awhile to adequately light the foot and my lighters seem to run out of butane quite fast. Don't get me wrong for $2.97 I can't complain, but I would like a better lighter. I was wondering if anyone uses double or triple torch. I've seen some videos of cigar reviews with people using triple torches and it takes a few seconds to get the cigar lit. Any recommendations and thoughts appreciated. :-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 02:23 PM 03-17-2010
I used to have a really nice prometheus (>$100) that my wife got for me when I graduated. It worked well but I lost it after a night of :-)

I replaced it with a cheapo torch ($5-10) and it sucked. Used it for too long. I didn't want to spend too much on a new one. My father-in-law used a Rocky Patel lighter and it worked well. I bought myself one for $30 bucks at a local B&M.

This is the lighter
http://www.rockyscigars.com/catalog.asp?prodid=523054
[Reply]
aich75013 02:35 PM 03-17-2010
I use this one most of the time. Prometheus.

I picked it up on sale at the local B&M for $35.

I also have a Nibo Tri-Flame

and a Ronson Jetlite, but I prefer the Prometheus.
Attached:
[Reply]
wayner123 02:38 PM 03-17-2010
Are you wanting to stay with a Torch type lighter? And what's the price range?
[Reply]
Bax 02:46 PM 03-17-2010
If you're looking for a cheap double or triple torch www.Taboocigars.com has jetlines for about 7 bucks each and they have very large tanks. So far mine light like champs! :-)
[Reply]
AD720 02:50 PM 03-17-2010
I've grabbed a couple of Vector lighters lately which seem pretty good. All under $20.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 02:51 PM 03-17-2010
I have a JetLine triple torch that I got from Taboo as part of a sampler pack that I occassionally use if I'm lighting a monster RG. I works really well but I find that a triple is just too much overkill, it heats the foot too quickly and chars it instead of toasting. On windy days I tend to use my Colibri Vortex 2 double torch but my daily go to lighter is an EverTorch. By far the best built and engineered lighter I own.

the Evertorch is only a single torch so it make not be want you're after and does take longer to toast the foot than with my Colibri or triple flame, but I love the classic feel of the lighter and the fact that it's got both torch and soft flames (I prefer soft flame for the final lighting). The fuel lasts much longer than any other lighter I own, probably because it's a single torch as opposed to a double or triple, but I've never used a Ronson so I can't compare it to the lighter the OP is moving on from. On one complaint against the Evertorch is that the torch burner is not recessed into the lighter body so it's wind resistence is a bit poor, but that's really a minor problem.
[Reply]
wayner123 02:53 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Bax:
If you're looking for a cheap double or triple torch www.Taboocigars.com has jetlines for about 7 bucks each and they have very large tanks. So far mine light like champs! :-)
dealextreme has those same jetline lighters for $2-$3 w/ free shipping. However they don't come with a 1 year warranty. Just sayin...

Btw, I have a jetline that has fallen on the ground, been accidentally stepped on and it still works like a champ.
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:10 PM 03-17-2010
I have these Lotus lighters: Newest is the Saber:
and I have had a T3:
for a number of years. Both are good triple fame torches and I love them. The T3 is a little to big for a pocket, but it's nice for a herf. I also have this Vector table lighter:

The one catch with the bigger lighters is that when the butane gets cold they can be a little harder to light. Once they warm up it's fine. The larger lighters with the larger capacity butane tanks seem to get colder easier.
[Reply]
ripper 04:37 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by Bax:
A box of bux to Bax!
He is dead-on -- the Jetline double-torch and triple-torch cigars from Rob at Taboocigars.com are the best value. Made in Japan. I buy 'em by the dozen.

[Reply]
perogee 04:40 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
but my daily go to lighter is an EverTorch.

the Evertorch is only a single torch so it make not be want you're after and does take longer to toast the foot than with my Colibri or triple flame, but I love the classic feel of the lighter and the fact that it's got both torch and soft flames (I prefer soft flame for the final lighting). The fuel lasts much longer than any other lighter I own, probably because it's a single torch as opposed to a double or triple, but I've never used a Ronson so I can't compare it to the lighter the OP is moving on from. On one complaint against the Evertorch is that the torch burner is not recessed into the lighter body so it's wind resistence is a bit poor, but that's really a minor problem.
you are lucky, the one that I bought has given me nothing but troubles, and I have received zero help from "customer service", personally I cannot recommend these.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:40 PM 03-17-2010
Are you sure you are filling the tank completely? Every Ronson I have had seems to last forever on a tank. I counted one time and I lit almost 18 cigars on one tank.
[Reply]
forgop 04:42 PM 03-17-2010
I got a nice lighter from a secret santa a couple of years and after having a really nice Colibri break down on me, I think the $5 gas station special is the way to go. You'll get enough use out of it that if it breaks down or you lose it, so what?
[Reply]
bigswol2 06:04 PM 03-17-2010
Xikar Element is a really nice double torch for not a lot of coin!
[Reply]
jmsremax 06:27 PM 03-17-2010
I am a big fan of the torch lights now that I have used the ronson. I would like to keep it $40 if possible for something decent.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:29 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by bigswol2:
:-) I love mine too. :-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 07:01 PM 03-17-2010
I understand your pain . I recently bought a couple of Ronsons and also notice it takes a while to light a cigar with them . I have a Blazer PB-207 and a Blazer Z-Plus insert for my Zippo and both light cigars quickly . There is a member here that has a site called www.cigarmony.com that he sells these and several other lighters . Mark is his name . Check his site out . Ships fast and has quality stuff .
[Reply]
mithrilG60 08:18 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by perogee:
you are lucky, the one that I bought has given me nothing but troubles, and I have received zero help from "customer service", personally I cannot recommend these.
What troubles have you been having with it? I bought two, one for myself and one for a buddy, via Pete's original sale thread and both have worked flawlessly from day one. Maybe send him a PM (assuming you bought from Pete) and see what he can do? That's been my only dealing with him but he's always come across as a stand up guy from his reputation here.
[Reply]
issues 09:24 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by bigswol2:

Originally Posted by kelmac07:
:-) I love mine too. :-)

I've got one as well and love it! :-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 07:37 AM 03-18-2010
Originally Posted by ripper:
A box of bux to Bax!
He is dead-on -- the Jetline double-torch and triple-torch cigars from Rob at Taboocigars.com are the best value. Made in Japan. I buy 'em by the dozen.

What do you use to refill them? I like the look of these.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up