Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Cable knower abouters..
rizzle 08:01 AM 02-05-2009
Can you split a signal after the cable box? If so, what happens to the scrambled channels?
[Reply]
darb85 08:10 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
Can you split a signal after the cable box? If so, what happens to the scrambled channels?
you can, but both TVs will be controled by the one box, there fore both tvs must be watching the same channel
[Reply]
poker 08:18 AM 02-05-2009
:-)

100% correct
[Reply]
14holestogie 08:21 AM 02-05-2009
That was going to be my guess too.
[Reply]
Footbag 08:21 AM 02-05-2009
If I know what you are asking, you do have to watch the same thing on the two TV's but, you can get an infared eye that will allow you to use a remote with either TV. Without the eye, you'll have to point the remote at the original box.

If you have Comcast or a similar service, you can use a switcher to have the low channels come in over basic cable and you will only need the seperate service for the high channels.
[Reply]
rizzle 09:16 AM 02-05-2009
That's about what I figured. And I don't think that is the solution I'm looking for.
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:19 AM 02-05-2009
well what are you trying to do?
[Reply]
rizzle 09:25 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
well what are you trying to do?
I thought you'd never ask..:-)

Seriously though, I put a new TV in my home office and I don't have a cable box for it because, well because it's in the office and it's more for back ground noise, etc... and I don't want to have to pay for another cable box. So obviously I only get the basic cable channels on it and I would like to have more channels without paying for another box.

I'm just like the next guy, looking for something for free.:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:27 AM 02-05-2009

Seriously though, I put a new TV in my home office and I don't have a cable box for it because, well because it's in the office and it's more for back ground noise, etc... and I don't want to have to pay for another cable box. So obviously I only get the basic cable channels on it and I would like to have more channels without paying for another box.

Is it a HDtv?
What channels are you looking for that you don't want to buy an extra box for?
If it's background noise does the channels matter?
[Reply]
poker 09:29 AM 02-05-2009
Is it a HDtv?
I think he's looking for premium background noise :-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 09:42 AM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
po-rn? :-)

Not gonna happen. The closest you'll come is splitting the cable from the box output and using a IR repeater to control the box from the other room. But as stated you'll have to watch the same thing on both TV's.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:31 AM 02-05-2009
Is it a HDtv?
Yep, it's HD. Would like network hi-def channels and ESPN hi-def.

Originally Posted by poker:
Aren't we all? :-)

Originally Posted by MikeyC:
po-rn? :-)

Not gonna happen. The closest you'll come is splitting the cable from the box output and using a IR repeater to control the box from the other room. But as stated you'll have to watch the same thing on both TV's.
Yep, not gonna happen.
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:41 AM 02-05-2009
You're prob not gonna like this I'd say you're SOL unless you buy another box...Otherwise you can just split the cable wire before it reaches the box and plug it into your HDtv..then scan for digital channels and be happy with free broadcasted HD and the occasional pro.n channel that your neighbor ordered on PPV.
[Reply]
AD720 11:16 AM 02-05-2009
Dish Network receivers are capable of doing exactly that. You can either mirror the output of your mail tuner to any other tv or split your dual-tuner DVR into 2 single tuners and have separate control.

AFAIK Comcast receivers can't do that but I have heard that FIOS can...
[Reply]
Cigary 02:38 PM 02-05-2009
If your TV has a built in tuner you can always let your TV "tune in" channels in your area like I did with my Mitsubishi 52 inch. I don't have a cable box but rather just the one cable going into the TV and I tune my TV and I get 100 channels plus 15 HD channels. Try manually tuning your TV this way and see what you are able to get.
[Reply]
rizzle 04:29 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
If your TV has a built in tuner you can always let your TV "tune in" channels in your area like I did with my Mitsubishi 52 inch. I don't have a cable box but rather just the one cable going into the TV and I tune my TV and I get 100 channels plus 15 HD channels. Try manually tuning your TV this way and see what you are able to get.
That's what I'm talking about!
[Reply]
mikeyj23 05:06 AM 02-06-2009
When I first got my HDTV and didn't have an HD box I used just the tuner and got about 30 HD channels. No ESPN and about 10 spanish channels, but 30 HD channels is better than a lot of cable providers, which still puzzles me a bit.
[Reply]
rizzle 07:17 AM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by mikeyj23:
When I first got my HDTV and didn't have an HD box I used just the tuner and got about 30 HD channels. No ESPN and about 10 spanish channels, but 30 HD channels is better than a lot of cable providers, which still puzzles me a bit.
See, this is what is puzzling me mikey. When I set the unit up and had it "find" the channels or whatever you call it, it didn't pick up any of the HD channels. I don't know why the tuner isn't grabbing those channels.
[Reply]
dunng 07:20 AM 02-06-2009
See, this is what is puzzling me mikey. When I set the unit up and had it "find" the channels or whatever you call it, it didn't pick up any of the HD channels. I don't know why the tuner isn't grabbing those channels.
Make sure it is searching the Digital Tuner too... some do it automatically, some do not... :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:55 AM 02-06-2009
You're prob not gonna like this I'd say you're SOL unless you buy another box...Otherwise you can just split the cable wire before it reaches the box and plug it into your HDtv..then scan for digital channels and be happy with free broadcasted HD and the occasional pro.n channel that your neighbor ordered on PPV.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up