Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>The Official Asylum Freshwater Tank Thread
shaggy 09:35 AM 02-01-2009
if the salty guys can have a thread then so can we.

Just gettin back into the fish thing after many years away. Used to have an Oscar and a Red Bellied Pirranaha but i wanted something a bit more sedate this time around.

this is my 25g tank i just got ready and it is just finishing up cycling. currently there is only 3 silver mollies and one neon tetra in there but i want to fill it with about 12-15 fish eventually.

this is a 10g i picked up for the grandkids to fill with guppies and stuff.

nothing specatular but still kinda nice.

eventually i will end up with a salt tank i think but just small stuff. price is pretty prohibitive up here on the equipment.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 04:37 PM 02-01-2009
After I finish my move I'll post pictures. I haven't been scrubbing the algae off the glass for a while, and I don't want to take a picture of that.
[Reply]
shaggy 05:22 PM 02-05-2009
another addition to the tank tonite.....3 more neon tetras and 3 shimp...they are way cool...i never knew about having shimp before in fresh water tanks
[Reply]
Old Sailor 05:32 PM 02-05-2009
Gail says for me to cleanup my tank that has been sitting for a year, guess it's as good a time as any to restart her.
[Reply]
shaggy 05:41 PM 02-05-2009
it prolly was home to prehistoric fish at one point.....lol
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 07:29 PM 02-05-2009
What type of shrimp did you get?
[Reply]
shaggy 07:41 PM 02-05-2009
japonica or they have another more common name that escapes me atm...starts with an 'a' tho
[Reply]
LookAtBigErn82 08:05 PM 02-05-2009
Originally Posted by shaggy:
japonica or they have another more common name that escapes me atm...starts with an 'a' tho
Amano?
[Reply]
shaggy 05:07 PM 02-06-2009
Originally Posted by LookAtBigErn82:
Amano?
that would be them.
they were pretty active when i first put them in now they just hang out chillin

finally got the grandkids tank ready....they currently have 3 guppies...1 male, 1 female and a baby....but the female is already pregnant
[Reply]
Old Sailor 05:26 PM 02-06-2009
it prolly was home to prehistoric fish at one point.....lol
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
shaggy 08:41 PM 02-06-2009
lookin to change my tanks to LED lighting....anyone got any comments?
should i just get a kit of ebay for like 30-40 bucks?
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 06:48 AM 02-07-2009
What type of LED lighting? The only one I've seen is for salt water and costs well over $500.
[Reply]
shaggy 01:51 PM 02-07-2009
something along these lines...
http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

i think it would look pretty cool
[Reply]
omowasu 07:13 PM 02-07-2009
Cool thread, lets see some more pics!

I used to have several saltwater tanks many years ago, but the maintenance and upkeep was sucking up a LOT of my time. Eventually I got out of the hobby - gave away the fish, sold the tanks, etc.

Been getting the fishkeeping itch lately, especially since the kids have been asking for a tank. I am thinking of a 55 gal freshwater setup, maybe brackish, but either way I would like to cut my maintenance time to 1/3 that of a saltwater tank.

Some of the newer hood systems will definitely help - I used one of the first generation Eclipse systems a few years ago. It worked well but the biofilter gunked up quickly and needed to be rinsed weekly. Any ideas here are welcome.
[Reply]
foomanto 04:11 PM 02-08-2009
had a tank for years pretty maintenance free my big mistake my gravel was to small larger gravel would have stayed cleaner filtered better. the smaller gravel had to be cleaned about once every 2 months other than that i just checked the water levels every other week. the key was to get fish that did most of the work for you.
[Reply]
shaggy 07:43 PM 02-08-2009
Originally Posted by omowasu:
Cool thread, lets see some more pics!

I used to have several saltwater tanks many years ago, but the maintenance and upkeep was sucking up a LOT of my time. Eventually I got out of the hobby - gave away the fish, sold the tanks, etc.

Been getting the fishkeeping itch lately, especially since the kids have been asking for a tank. I am thinking of a 55 gal freshwater setup, maybe brackish, but either way I would like to cut my maintenance time to 1/3 that of a saltwater tank.

Some of the newer hood systems will definitely help - I used one of the first generation Eclipse systems a few years ago. It worked well but the biofilter gunked up quickly and needed to be rinsed weekly. Any ideas here are welcome.
the hood on my 25 gal is an eclipse but the previous owner gutted all the filter stuff out of it. i have a fluval2 submersable filter working in it now....soooo quiet. i find the area where the filter was a great storage space for nets and the like that drip when you put them away
[Reply]
shaggy 12:36 PM 02-13-2009
added some ghost shrimp the other day.....they are way more visiable than the amanos and just as fun to watch
[Reply]
LookAtBigErn82 02:15 PM 02-13-2009
Here are some pics of my tank. Started it back in August. I love the live plants that are growing in there. I constantly have to trim those down.

Just a couple Tiger Barbs in there right now.

[Reply]
shaggy 07:57 PM 02-13-2009
nice setup
i am gonna go planted on the next tank i get
[Reply]
LookAtBigErn82 09:20 PM 02-14-2009
nice setup
i am gonna go planted on the next tank i get
Thanks, the plants actually started out as roots that you can buy from a pet store. I paid a couple bucks for like six of them. Only two started growing but they're huge.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
Up