Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>Windows 7 anyone?
tchariya 11:58 PM 01-18-2009
i know there are boys and girls out there who are into their computer toys or want to be on the cutting edge of things (even though it might be crappy ol' Microsoft), so anyone put 7 to the test yet?

I've got the iso downloaded...and I'm thinking of taking my rarely used laptops and converting.

So...lets talk about it?! Problems? Ideas? Questions?? Troubleshooting help??

I don't have my MacPro, but if I did, i'd install it on Bootcamp to play.

Pics? maybe of you surfing CA with it?
[Reply]
bvilchez 12:09 AM 01-19-2009
I have the ISO as well aand was going to put it on my wife's laptop.

It's just something about Microsoft products Beta version that always bites my ass so I'ld rather not chance it really. I was thinking when I get home to try it on my MBP but still unsure.

Let me know what you think of it.
[Reply]
Mark 12:17 AM 01-19-2009
[Reply]
tchariya 12:24 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by bvilchez:
I have the ISO as well and was going to put it on my wife's laptop.

It's just something about Microsoft products Beta version that always bites my ass so I'ld rather not chance it really. I was thinking when I get home to try it on my MBP but still unsure.

Let me know what you think of it.

HAHAHA put it on the wife's laptop....some famous last words!

Bootcamp r0x! Go and try it...it won't kill your MBP, just creates another boot partition that you can later re-absorb if you are fed up with Windows *. :-)
[Reply]
bvilchez 03:45 AM 01-19-2009
Why not put it on the wife's laptop!?!?!? I'll just tell her it's one of the updates Windows always sends and if it jacks something up then its jacked up.

DAMN MICROSOFT AND THEIR UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
dunng 06:40 AM 01-19-2009
I got the ISO too... might burn it and use it for a coaster... :-)
[Reply]
tchariya 08:59 AM 01-19-2009
So...I woke up this morning forgetting that it was a bank holiday and that means a day off in the trading world!

I decided to give the windows 7 install a whirl on my Lenovo T61 laptop. The DVD installed in about 30 minutes, finding all my drivers except 2 bios looking ones. I'll worry about those later.

Its pretty. It is still Aero-ish, but it NAGS THE CRAP out of you. Updates went through fine. Then it started to ***** about not having anti-virus software on there. You can't install a current one, you have a choice (from Windows 7 website) to install beta AVG, Kapersky, or Norton. I'm not a big fan of the bloated Norton software, so I installed Kapersky.

Big mistake....if you hate nagging like me, do not install the anti-hacker crap. After about 5 minutes of allow this port and allow that port and allow windows to write to this and that...I had to get rid of the anti-hacker portion.

I'm not a big fan of Windows Media...so I downloaded my favorite GOM Player and it seems to install and work well.

I'll do Firefox now.

Boot times are fast (I'm running crippled with 1GB of ram). More impressions as I play with this.

Install is very friendly...so I imagine Bootcamp will be easy with a MBP, just hope that Apple is doing testing with their Driver install on Windows side.

i'll take a few screen shots and post shortly.
[Reply]
AD720 09:03 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by tchariya:

Its pretty. It is still Aero-ish, but it NAGS THE CRAP out of you .
Wow, this really sounds like the huge improvement over Vista that was promised. :-)

For what it's worth I have vista on my work laptop and after disabling all the nag-ware I think it is fine.

The problem with the "Vista wants to this, do you want to allow it" is that to the regular end user the "Yes" button becomes the "let me get back to work button" and those warnings become completely meaningless.
[Reply]
tchariya 09:21 AM 01-19-2009
purdy picture!

[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:22 AM 01-19-2009
I downloaded the .ISO and gave it a try, but I ran it in virtualization so I didn't have to erase a hard drive. Its pretty slick, but its in beta so I don't know how its going to end up. I just installed Ubuntu on my desktop and laptop because I'm so fed up with windows. I can't wait to see 7 when it comes out though. I've been wanting to get a new desktop pc, but I'm going to wait till 7 is bundled with them.

With all the articles I've read about it so far it looks promising.
[Reply]
tchariya 09:39 AM 01-19-2009
FYI...I never switched to vista. I thought it was very hokey and unstable at the time. I just didn't think it was made for an IT driven environment like XP was.

Ubuntu is a great start for non-Windows users.
So is Mac OSX Tiger....but there is a nice price tag that comes with that.
[Reply]
AD720 09:46 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by tchariya:
FYI...I never switched to vista. I thought it was very hokey and unstable at the time. I just didn't think it was made for an IT driven environment like XP was.

Ubuntu is a great start for non-Windows users.
So is Mac OSX Tiger....but there is a nice price tag that comes with that.
Agreed. It seems pretty clear to me that Vista was a stab at grabbing some of the OSX hype/money.

Ubuntu is great if you can get the drivers you need. The whole driver/wrapper thing is over some people's heads though.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:58 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Agreed. It seems pretty clear to me that Vista was a stab at grabbing some of the OSX hype/money.

Ubuntu is great if you can get the drivers you need. The whole driver/wrapper thing is over some people's heads though.

Agreed, Right out of the box the new Ubuntu got everything running right and the drivers for my printer.WTF!!! Can't get any better than that.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:01 AM 01-19-2009
although early is 7 looking promising?
[Reply]
King James 10:03 AM 01-19-2009
meh, I'll stil with snow leopard when it comes out :-)

May put 7 on my imac just to play around with it though
[Reply]
tchariya 10:04 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
although early is 7 looking promising?
I'm really impressed with the boot times and the quickness it loads applications.
I'm running a Centrino Pro, which is a dual-core 2.0GHZ processor and only 1GB of ram (my other laptop needed more ram so instead of buying more....).
[Reply]
The Professor 10:07 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by BostonMark:
OMG. ROFLMAO. :-):-):-)

Seriously. I laughed so hard at that.

Yes ... I am a nerd.

OS X 4 EVAH!!!!!

:-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 10:09 AM 01-19-2009
played with 7 on a friends comp.

It's riddled with fail stolen ideas from linux and osx plus good old crashing for no good reason. So many drivers don't work on a lot of programs either.

It's like the down sides of all 3
nothing works
pain in the butt
and crashes for no reason
slick.

After I was done I was asked my thoughts. I did a James T. Kirk Impression and yelled "GAAAAAAAAAAAAATEEEESSSS"

F- 7 and Vista. XP was pretty crappy but windows has gone down hill since that XP can be run well but sweet lord stepping backwards for sure.

A lot of the gimmicks will amuse untrained end users, but I promise it's all been around and better done for 5+ years ground breaking my butt.

Do your self a favor, don't bother.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:12 AM 01-19-2009
I work for local gov't, and we've had Vista and now Windows 7 installed on a few test machines, but all of our production workstations are still running XP. Those extensions that Microsoft keeps pushing out for "upgrades" to XP? You can blame that on us. :-)
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 10:13 AM 01-19-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I work for local gov't, and we've had Vista and now Windows 7 installed on a few test machines, but all of our production workstations are still running XP. Those extensions that Microsoft keeps pushing out for "upgrades" to XP? You can blame that on us. :-)
That reminds me like all gov comps are XP and going to vista.

The idea of a nuke being watched over by vista is scary.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 23 > Last »
Up