Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Lancero Vitola
pattersong 08:51 AM 09-01-2014
Hi friends,

I notice many cigar smokers rave about the lancero size. I've never smoked one, and I'm wondering why that size seems to be so highly acclaimed...?

Cheers!
[Reply]
icehog3 10:04 AM 09-01-2014
While everything is a matter of personal taste and palate, some speculate that the higher wrapper to filler/binder ratio gives them a flavor they enjoy.
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:15 AM 09-01-2014
As for myself, I think that they're a "more comfortable" smoke, as far as dimensions go, as well as the wrapper/filler ratio aspect.
[Reply]
pattersong 03:42 PM 09-01-2014
Interesting. I'll have to give one of those a go at some point. Thanks guys!
[Reply]
The Poet 04:01 PM 09-01-2014
On the other hand, I have found some of the smaller ring gauges like lanceros or londsdales to have a tighter draw, even bordering on fully plugged at times. So though they may be "elegante", one doesn't appear so with one's cheeks sucked in like a guppy.

Just sayin'.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:22 PM 09-01-2014
Maybe if you stopped buying those Gurkha lanceros, Thomas.

Just sayin'.

:-) :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:36 PM 09-01-2014
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Maybe if you stopped buying those Gurkha lanceros, Thomas.

Just sayin'.

:-) :-)
Who can afford Gurkhas?

Who'd want to? :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:45 PM 09-01-2014
Ah....a mystery wrapped in a riddle! I'll bite.....who?
[Reply]
The Poet 04:55 PM 09-01-2014
I got nuttin'.
[Reply]
pattersong 06:04 PM 09-01-2014
Nothing scares me off a cigar like stories of tight draws...I've experienced a few that were a shame after spending $20+ for the cigar.
[Reply]
The Poet 07:27 PM 09-01-2014
It wasn't my intent to panic you, Greg. If you are curious about lanceros, you should try a few.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:47 PM 09-01-2014
Why Lanceros?
... Highlights the wrapper over the filler.
... Simply elegant from an aesthetic perspective.
... Does not require 2 hours to smoke.
... Teaches fast smokers to slow down.
... I just like them.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
stevef2005 07:49 PM 09-01-2014
I have yet to have a plugged lancero. Generally, in my experience, the sticks i have issues with being plugged are usually budget sticks. Usually those are robusto and toros. Nothing a paperclip and a few minutes wont fix. Give the lancero a shot.

Edit: Not saying it cannot happen though.
[Reply]
8zeros 09:30 PM 09-01-2014
A good question, there. I was trying to think of an answer but couldn't nail it down. A lot of my favorites are thin ring gauge, but some definitely aren't.
I think that there are some very, very good cigars in the lancero format that give the whole vitola a good name. It must take more skill for the rollers to not make them too tight or too loose. I've been on a lucky streak lately. I just smoked a perfect Cohiba Lancero yesterday.
[Reply]
Dude Here 04:17 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Why Lanceros?
... I just like them.

I'll second everything Todd wrote here but add that lanceros are becoming a harder size to find with today's trend towards large ring gauge smokes. I'd smoked a bunch of Oliva V's prior to trying it in the lancero size and it was a completely different smoke in that vitola. If they were more common, I'd grab all my favorite lines in lancero just to see if there's a difference.
[Reply]
pattersong 08:11 AM 09-02-2014
Thanks for all the great thoughts guys! I'm definitely going to find a nice lancero to try. I've got a few in mind.
Cheers!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:17 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Why Lanceros?
... I just like them.

+1
[Reply]
jjirons69 10:33 AM 09-02-2014
I'm with Todd, also. Lanceros are a treat to smoke.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:35 AM 09-02-2014
Originally Posted by Dude Here:
I'd smoked a bunch of Oliva V's prior to trying it in the lancero size and it was a completely different smoke in that vitola.
I do not know if there is a study out there (probably is), but I have tried to discern differences in the same line, but different sizes.

For example, the Oliva Vs are probably my favorite line as I like all the different shapes and sizes. A Double Toro and a Double Robusto are very similar in tastes. But those two have a much different flavor profile than the Lancero and the #4. There are similarities, but also some differences.

I enjoy a DPG Black Perla (petite corona) and their short lancero, but I am not much of a fan of the larger cigars in the same line. It is to bad that neither of them is still in production.

The blend of tobacco in bunch/filler can be identical - same tobaccos in the same ratios - but the ratio of that blend to the wrapper changes with the ring gauge, and so then does the overall flavor. You notice it more when you take extremes, 50RG to a 38RG in the same line can make a big difference. There will be similarities, of course, but there also may be huge differences.

You'd expect an Oliva V Lancero to be different than an Oliva G Double Robusto. But there can be different flavor profiles in the same line of cigars.

Try the experiment yourself of tasting different size cigars from the line - smoking side by side, or one after another. Make sure that the only differing variable is the cigar so that you can narrow down the flavor profiles. I'd even suggest no alcohol, for that can also change your perspective.

Hmmm, as I think about this, maybe I should do a taste test of different cigars from the same line. Of course, it would be best to have cigars from the same line that have been aged the same amount of time. When they were rolled might make a slight difference in constituent tobaccos used to make them.

Sorry, rambling now, meds will do that to a guy.

Have fun with this.

Todd
[Reply]
Remo 11:42 AM 09-02-2014
Love me some Lancero's…remember to smoke them slowly, smoking too fast causes a tar buildup at the head and can be unpleasant.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up