Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Sigh, A-10 warthog going away
markem 09:03 AM 12-12-2013
http://news.yahoo.com/end-looms-us-a...115956604.html

Heavy sigh. Worked on the combat simulator for this and other combat systems back in the 80s as part of the original DARPA SimNet program. Used to love flying these around on Friday evenings with a beer in one hand carving a hole through legions of tanks, APCs and Bradleys with the simulator set to unlimited ammo and no ground (that is, we could fly below the ground and pop up for shots). We used to have so many simulators running on beer and pizza night... but it was purely for quality control purposes, I assure you.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:10 AM 12-12-2013
I want to try the simulator.
The warthog is arguably one of the most diehard, useful, and iconic planes of the US mil.
BUFF, Fast Movers, Warthogs. What couldn't you do with an air force solely made up of those three?
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:11 AM 12-12-2013
Pretty sure the "no ground" thing doesn't work IRL, cheater.
[Reply]
equetefue 09:13 AM 12-12-2013
With the role it played on our arsenal, im sure they are planning on a replacement.
[Reply]
markem 09:14 AM 12-12-2013
"fast movers"? I do not think that this means what you think it means. It's a very slow close combat support plane, which is why the Army loves it and the Air Force hates it. Close combat is a primary Army need but multi-role is the primary Air Force one. Gonna be hard to replace no matter what.

SimNet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMNET
[Reply]
markem 09:15 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Pretty sure the "no ground" thing doesn't work IRL, cheater.
Neither does "unlimited ammo" but not one said that war was fair :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:15 AM 12-12-2013
Edwin they aren't replacing it with a new specialized plane, just one of the new fighters. It's too bad, saw many many many of them do their thing in Desert Storm, quite the sight!
[Reply]
The Poet 09:18 AM 12-12-2013
One tough and nasty little platform for its task, but a fleet in excess of 300 aircraft does seem a bit much for the threats we face at present.

Yet with the Army telling Congress it wants no more Abrams tanks, as it is fully equipped PLUS has thousands mothballed, yet still the contractor is making them over these objections, I can't see the harm in keeping maybe as much as a third of the A-10s in service, even if with some other branch if the Air Force jet jockeys dislike it so much.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget the Navy's Littoral ships, which even they admit is flawed.

Edit 2: Or the massive cost overruns and delays in the F-35 program.
[Reply]
Lear31MX 09:20 AM 12-12-2013
That's to bad. The A-10 was one of my favorite aircraft. Any time you have to move the nose gear to make room for a bigger gun! That's a winner in my book.

Those AF pilots just don't like to fly slow.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:22 AM 12-12-2013
A fine aeroplane!

[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:24 AM 12-12-2013
Another thing about A-10s, women pilots in combat the percentage of female combat pilots is small I think there are around 50, but many of them are / were A-10 pilots.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:25 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by markem:
"fast movers"? I do not think that this means what you think it means. It's a very slow close combat support plane, which is why the Army loves it and the Air Force hates it. Close combat is a primary Army need but multi-role is the primary Air Force one. Gonna be hard to replace no matter what.

SimNet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMNET
Fast Movers. F-4 Phantom. BUFF. Big Ugly Fat Fellow. B-52. 3 iconic aircraft. The F-4 would be outclassed by a number of very small countries air forces today, but for 30+ years, useful in its varied platforms in a variety of tasks.
[Reply]
markem 09:30 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Fast Movers. F-4 Phantom. BUFF. Big Ugly Fat Fellow. B-52. 3 iconic aircraft. The F-4 would be outclassed by a number of very small countries air forces today, but for 30+ years, useful in its varied platforms in a variety of tasks.
Ah! My bad. Thanks for the clarification. If I didn't work on it, I probably don't know the nicknames. My personal tie to the movie The Hunt for Red October is in having written the hardware simulator for the torpedo side of the P3 Orion ASW/SOW.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:32 AM 12-12-2013
Some guys are flying BUFFs that were flying before THEY were born! And, the BUFF seems to be hanging on and on and on.
[Reply]
Remo 09:32 AM 12-12-2013
I wanna buy one!!
[Reply]
hotreds 09:33 AM 12-12-2013
[Reply]
Lear31MX 09:41 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Remo:
I wanna buy one!!
Group buy :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:44 AM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Some guys are flying BUFFs that were flying before THEY were born! And, the BUFF seems to be hanging on and on and on.
Three generations of B-52 pilots
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...w-Vietnam.html
[Reply]
shilala 09:46 AM 12-12-2013
Adam can buy the fuel!!! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:35 PM 12-12-2013
Oh, thank goodness, I read the title and thought Mr. Mark was sending me to a gulag.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up