Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Box Pressed or Regular?
mahtofire14 02:54 AM 11-21-2013
I've been recently drawn to box pressed cigars lately. I'm curious as to what you guys prefer (if you even have a preference). But let's say every cigar was made in both regular and box pressed versions. Which would you chose?
[Reply]
pektel 03:32 AM 11-21-2013
If I can swing it, cabinet selection every time.

Pretty sure you are referring to NC's, but my answer stays the same for all tobacco origins.

Well, Except cigarettes. Blech. They could get tobacco straight from heaven (then slice it and dice it and treat it and whatever-else), roll it on the arse of a crying unicorn, and I still wouldn't try them again. But I digress.

I wonder how long it will be before the NC producers start a ribbon dent option.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 04:32 AM 11-21-2013
I enjoy both equally.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:16 AM 11-21-2013
I like dress box better than the cabinet. They take up less room and I see no difference in taste. Age them the 20-30 years....maybe there's a difference? It makes little difference to me if they are pressed or not. Pressed don't roll, which is nice, but can feel not as natural in the hand. I don't like them too pressed like Padron does. Don't want a square cigar.
[Reply]
Zane 05:51 AM 11-21-2013
I don't mind a slight box press like in dress box CC's. I do not enjoy a square cigar.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:00 AM 11-21-2013
I really enjoy a box pressed stick.
[Reply]
MUNKY 06:22 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I really enjoy a box pressed stick.
this
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:11 AM 11-21-2013
I prefer regular but box-pressed does not bother me in the least.
[Reply]
Dude Here 07:58 AM 11-21-2013
I don't mind a slight box press. It's when they take it overboard, and make the corners so sharp you can cut yourself on them, that I pass.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:14 AM 11-21-2013
Some cigars, like Padron, are excellent box pressed cigars. The shape (square or round) does not bother me. I am after the flavors.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:22 AM 11-21-2013
I don't mind a box press, slight or otherwise, as long as it isn't a jaw-breaker rg.
[Reply]
jledou 09:51 AM 11-21-2013
I do not prefer a box press and would avoid them if they came in both but it also does not make me avoid good cigars that are only box pressed.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 10:05 AM 11-21-2013
I don't dislike box pressed, it's about the tobacco more than the shape IMO
[Reply]
DaBear 11:03 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
I wonder how long it will be before the NC producers start a ribbon dent option.
They're way ahead of you, Peter. Those typically go under the "damaged" sticks category at work and get smoked by one of us employees. Granted, if you counted Culebras in this category, CCs were first.

On topic: The bigger the RG, the more I like a box-pressed stick. I normally don't smoke anything over a 54 anymore, but when I do its gotta be box-pressed. Makes it feel smaller in my hand so I don't feel like a tool smoking a big RG stick.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:50 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
If I can swing it, cabinet selection every time.

Pretty sure you are referring to NC's, but my answer stays the same for all tobacco origins.

Well, Except cigarettes. Blech. They could get tobacco straight from heaven (then slice it and dice it and treat it and whatever-else), roll it on the arse of a crying unicorn, and I still wouldn't try them again. But I digress.

Bummer when sending out your lot I pulled a stick out of a cab with a few years on it and it was a dented stick but i noticed a tiny tiny tear at the foot and wanted to send you a primo cigar so kept the dented one in the cab. :-)

Most sticks I buy are in cabs, some of the more vintage stuff tends to be smaller sticks that are box pressed.
[Reply]
Sadden 12:30 PM 11-21-2013
Eh , if i have a choicr of box pressed vs regulat in a similiar size then i will choose the natural. Box press can pead to construction issues in some cases. But a box press is no reason to avoid a good cigar.
[Reply]
the jiggler 12:40 PM 11-21-2013
I'm a fan of the box press.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:30 PM 11-21-2013
I like 'em round like they were rolled by hand. Take a cab/SLB over a dress box every time if given that option. And Mac doesn't like Cubans.

There, I think I covered it all.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 01:52 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Some cigars, like Padron, are excellent box pressed cigars. The shape (square or round) does not bother me. I am after the flavors.
I agree. If the ingredients interest me I can care less about square v. Round. I am more likely to pass up a cigar based on excessive (more than 48) rg than shape.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 04:42 PM 11-21-2013
I like box pressed cigars... I think I was attracted to this thread because I'm currently hunting down some RoMa Craft Cromagnon Blockheads :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up