Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>DeBeers diamond company, thank you for the cigars
FUEL 04:49 PM 06-12-2013
So I get to the mail yesterday and there is some sort of check I got mailed to me. Opened it and it stated it was a check for settling a class action lawsuit and it was my piece of the pie. I thought is this a con? One of those deals where if you deposit the check you are on the hook for the money plus interest.

As it turns out it was legit. I spent a pretty penny on the ex-wife's engagement ring, wedding ring, my wedding ring as well as other jewelry gifts for her over our 8 years. Apparently I filled out the online form over 2 years ago and DeBeers coughed up about a $500 million I believe and they just started distributing the checks last week.

I have not bought cigars since long before the flying humidor incident and yes, could the money have been used elsewhere, yes, but after the year I have had I thought you know, treat yourself to something already and fact of the matter is its not your money. So popped over the border today to pick up a few things in Hudson, WI.

You only live once right?

Now off to a Viaje event tonight and tomorrow the mack daddy of the summer, the largest Liga Privada / Drew Estate / Joya de Nicaragua event in the upper Midwest sans Chicago.

Can't wait!

:-)

J.

PS - "Lone Star Mafia," they may not be quite as big as the bombs you sent me as they are spread over 3 people but payback is coming...
[Reply]
equetefue 04:56 PM 06-12-2013
Wow. How cool. Congrats! Very nice selection to boot
[Reply]
big_jaygee 05:02 PM 06-12-2013
Those are some great looking cigars James :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:03 PM 06-12-2013
nice.

Now those 2 cigars on the bottom row, with the black & silver labels, what are those? I don't recognize them
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 05:06 PM 06-12-2013
Ferdinand,

They look like Gurhka Ghosts.
[Reply]
bstarrs 05:15 PM 06-12-2013
That's quite the haul you got there
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:19 PM 06-12-2013
Unexpected cigar bounty, one of life's great pleasures! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:22 PM 06-12-2013
Some dark & yummy goodies for sure. :-) :-)
[Reply]
mahtofire14 05:24 PM 06-12-2013
Damn James. Is it worth driving over there to grab cigars? I'd much rather give my money to my local, but with taxes so much lower over there I've been thinking about it for a little while now.
[Reply]
FUEL 05:42 PM 06-12-2013
Pete if I posted what I actually paid no one here would believe me. Send me a PM with your eMail addy and I'll explain or pdt447 Gmail. Its a BS "ghost shadow" account but forwards automatically to my private email. I am very good friends with the owner of the two MN stores (U of MN & Oakdale) and the one in Hudson, WI as well as personal friends of the GM in Hudson. I work there when I want to just for fun. No pay, like Tim Tebow with the Patriots, sticks as a "thank you."

One box of the UF -13's is for a friend who will be at the Viaje event at Fuegos tonight and the box of Undercrown Corona Viva!'s was a gift from Hattem the owner.

I support local everytime I go into a B&M. I might not smoke what I bought that day (can't get Ligas here) but however many sticks I herf not from there I buy the equivalent from them. Not to mention when going good to events or like Fuegos it's worth the drive to buy in bulk there due to his deeply discounted prices due to volume, low WI tax (MN is 70% and going up in August) and a personal discount hence why I requested your email. Admittedly he is the bane of every Twin Cities B&M but welcome to capitalism.
[Reply]
TJarv 08:22 PM 06-12-2013
Glad to see you stocking back up James
[Reply]
big_jaygee 08:25 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by TJarv:
Glad to see you stocking back up James
if what he says is true Tony....he might be sending some of that to us.....

James just an FYI....thats a big mistake brother

[Reply]
Remo 09:36 PM 06-12-2013
Wow, very cool, you deserve it after the spell you have had :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 09:39 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by big_jaygee:
if what he says is true Tony....he might be sending some of that to us.....

James just an FYI....thats a big mistake brother

Pfft my turn baby!
[Reply]
cmitch 10:07 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by FUEL:
Pfft my turn baby!
:-):-):-) whoop up on Jason, good! He deserves a good smacking!
[Reply]
big_jaygee 10:12 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by cmitch:
:-):-):-) whoop up on Jason, good! He deserves a good smacking!
hush your mouth sissy :-)
[Reply]
FUEL 10:45 PM 06-12-2013
Just got home from the Viaje event in Minneapolis. What a blast. Great sticks, great people and the catered dinner was friggin amazing.

The two sticks to the left were freebies for those attending the event, they had 3 packs of Viaje Super Shots for $20 so figured why the hell not and smoked my first Ashton ESG tonight that was gifted to me by the friend I picked up the box of UF-13s for above. Review coming this weekend on the ESG. Very tasty.

Ahh time for bed, up bright and early back to the surgeons office and then at 1400 off to the Liga Privada event. Damn nice few days boys. Thank God for everyone you get!

J.
[Reply]
FUEL 10:52 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by JenksAnejo:
Ferdinand,

They look like Gurhka Ghosts.
Correct. Not a Gurkah fan by any means but I love the Ghost and at $4.49 a pop I'll smoke em all week long.

I know Gurkahs aren't the most popular stick around but if you have not given it a dance try the Ghost. They are very well and consistently constructed, have a very very nice balanced strength and flavor profile and much like Liga Privada's the smoke output is off the charts. To be frank, I don't even like smoking them inside at the club or B&M as the smoke output of one is equal to about 3 Ligas and 6 of any other cigar lol.

Try em, I think you will be happy you did.
[Reply]
FUEL 10:58 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by mahtofire14:
Damn James. Is it worth driving over there to grab cigars? I'd much rather give my money to my local, but with taxes so much lower over there I've been thinking about it for a little while now.
Got the low down as well about the new MN taxes. Its going from 70% to 95% in August. However its a good thing as there is now a $3.75 cent cap per cigar that retails for $12 or over meaning that pricing on higher end sticks such as the Ligas, Padron, Opus, God of Fire et al will actually come down due to the cap. Biggest impact will be to cig smokers and chewers.

I was told the goal was to separate cigs, flavored cigars & chew from premium hand rolled cigars which was accomplished this legislative session.

Now the goal is to show the state over the next two years that cigars need to broken out into their own tax bracket or to lower the cap by 25% to 50% as the upcoming new cap will actually bring in less tax revenue for the state vs their current methodology.

What a pain in the ass but that's the latest scoop directly from a MN State Senator that was at the Viaje event tonight.

J.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 11:07 PM 06-12-2013
Yeah that's what I heard as well. I'm just so sick of paying almost more money on taxes than the cigar itself. Not to mention the shop owners don't see any of that money.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up