Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Authenticity!
kwondon1 08:39 PM 05-27-2013
Hello all.

I am currently residing in Toronto, Canada, and have at my liberty 2 boxes of Cubans.

To start off, I am a complete newbie with anything regarding cigars. The purpose of my joining this forum is to get to know them a little better and thus confirm the authenticity of the 2 boxes currently at my disposal.

I am firmly aware of people joining forums and attempting to sell cigars right away: I would like to point out that I am only here to find out whether my cigars are real or not. I have no cigar experts by my side; the best solution was to join a well-known forum for this purpose. After, hopefully, being helped by experts here, will I be able to sell them in my area or smoke them casually.

With that being said, my father was presented these boxes (each at a different time), by a trusted person as a gift. My father passed them on to me to do with them as I wish.

Both sets are Cohiba Habanos - I'm not even quite certain the difference between them; one box are Esplendidos.

I have pictures upon request for validation - my email is md2.kwon@gmail.com

From some research, my assumption are that they are fake:

- The "Habanos s.a. (etc)" printed on the bottom of both boxes
- The seal: the crest goes through the bottom edge of the box

This is from a bit of light research; however, I think I will need a real expert to verify if they are fakes or not.. possibly through viewing, touching, smelling, etc, the boxes themselves.

In the case that they are fake - I would possibly like to donate them to military; however, I am not sure of the procedure for this: undoubtedly they would not like fake cigars... in that case, what should I do with them if I do not want them?

Thank you for your help. I am not here to question any rules, judgments, etc, but am just here to ask for some guidance.

Michael
[Reply]
rennD 08:49 PM 05-27-2013
Welcome to CA. Post pics? Perhaps this wouldve been better suited for the Habanos forum on this site.
[Reply]
bobarian 08:59 PM 05-27-2013
Welcome to the Asylum. It is ok to post pictures here, you can upload them to photobucket or image shack and then copy/paste the link for forums.
It's best to post a few closeups of the labels, box bottom and outer box(if any).

You can also do some research at cubancigarwebsite.com which has extensive photos of both legitimate and fake Cohiba cigars.
[Reply]
kwondon1 09:39 PM 05-27-2013
Hello!

Thank you for your replies.

I have done as requested and uploaded via photobucket.

I hope this is the right link:

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/kw...hiba%20Habanos

I have also looked at the website, and have found many similarities.

Thank you.
[Reply]
kwondon1 09:40 PM 05-27-2013
I apologize in advanced if they are not of good quality.
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:53 PM 05-27-2013
Hmmm...hard to tell. Are the letters "COHIBA" embossed and raised up? Are there triple caps on them?
[Reply]
RobR1205 09:55 PM 05-27-2013
There's also a way to check the serial numbers for authenticity
[Reply]
cmitch 10:16 PM 05-27-2013
I'm calling fake and I'll tell you why. The explendidos has the worst quality clasp I've seen. The real Cohiba clasp is sharply done and it isn't nailed in but pressed in with clips. On the inside of the clasp, you would see Schmele Germany on it. It is of such poor quality, I'll bet it doesn't. The warranty seals are atrocious. They should look like the quality of printed money. Also, the label is on the clasp. Never seen that before. Hard to tell from the pics but it appears the yellow is off color. Of course, my opinion is worth what you paid for it. Less than :-)
[Reply]
cmitch 10:35 PM 05-27-2013
I'm adding this link to guide you along on the clasp issues. Real clasps have no nails: http://havanajournal.com/cigars/cohibas-box
After looking at your pics, I cannot determine if they're pressed in or nailed. But either way, the quality looks poor.
[Reply]
pektel 10:39 PM 05-27-2013
I wouldn't donate them to the troops if they are fake.

And I find it insulting you'd send second rate smokes to first rate human beings.

Budget sticks is one thing. But I've never sent anyone something I would not smoke myself.
[Reply]
RobR1205 10:49 PM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by cmitch:
I'm calling fake and I'll tell you why. The explendidos has the worst quality clasp I've seen. The real Cohiba clasp is sharply done and it isn't nailed in but pressed in with clips. On the inside of the clasp, you would see Schmele Germany on it. It is of such poor quality, I'll bet it doesn't. The warranty seals are atrocious. They should look like the quality of printed money. Also, the label is on the clasp. Never seen that before. Hard to tell from the pics but it appears the yellow is off color. Of course, my opinion is worth what you paid for it. Less than :-)
Well played...would've never noticed. Attention to detail!
[Reply]
bobarian 10:51 PM 05-27-2013
Additional information can be found here, http://havanajournal.com/cigars/

Judging authenticity from pictures is very difficult, but from what you have posted the placement of the warranty labels is of concern.

Ask where these were purchased. Provenance is more important than anything else. There is a La Casa del Habanos in Toronto, if you live near there I would have them examine the boxes. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:14 PM 05-27-2013
You can check your serial number here:

http://www.habanos.com/Sellos/Info/VerificaSelloCajon

Tho guessing since it doesn't have the bar code, i think it's probably not gonna work.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:17 PM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by dwoodward:

Tho guessing since it doesn't have the bar code, i think it's probably not gonna work.
[Reply]
cmitch 11:22 PM 05-27-2013
These are all authentic labels. The first from a box of 98 Punch Coronas, second from 2007 RYJ #2 tubos and the third from 2001 La Flor de Cano Predilectos Tubulares:
Attached: image.jpg (111.3 KB) 
[Reply]
cmitch 11:26 PM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
He's my hero!:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:50 PM 05-27-2013
Last year I had a fake Esplendidos that was very good. The cigars pictured appear to be very well constructed with very nice wrappers. If you have already purchased them I would burn one to see how it tastes. If you notice off flavors, then I would carefully cut it open and perform an analysis of the filler and binder. Bad fakes such as those that come in glass top boxes will be filled with all sorts of trash. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:27 AM 05-28-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
I wouldn't donate them to the troops if they are fake.

And I find it insulting you'd send second rate smokes to first rate human beings.

Budget sticks is one thing. But I've never sent anyone something I would not smoke myself.
+1.

OP, if they're fake you don't know what's in them. Why would you send something like that to someone else to smoke?
[Reply]
kwondon1 04:51 PM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
+1.

OP, if they're fake you don't know what's in them. Why would you send something like that to someone else to smoke?
I wouldn't sent it to the military with bad intentions. I figured since they smoke victory cigars or others of such sort that they would be a lot more experienced and have more knowledge of the cigars than I do. In that case, they can judge for themselves and send them away, throw them out, or send them back telling me that they are harmful. In any case, I've heard that even some fake cigars are decent to smoke, and I'm sure after getting them appraised somewhere nearby and find nothing bad in them, these "first rate human beings" would appreciate receiving them.

Anyway, thank you all for the help. I've sent them into a shop to have them looked at. I will post here when I get a reply.

Thanks!
[Reply]
kwondon1 04:56 PM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by dwoodward:

I heard that when shipping, the barcodes allow the boxes to be traced, and so most merchances remove the new warranty seals' barcodes.

Thanks for your help! I will keep that site in mind for the future.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up