Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar locker...why?
badbriar 10:44 PM 05-26-2013
What's the reason to have a cigar locker at the local cigar shop? Unless they allow you to keep a favorite bottle of adult drink, what purpose is there to renting a locker?
RR
[Reply]
TJarv 10:47 PM 05-26-2013
I know my B&M gives a 10% discount to locker members
[Reply]
Milvel 10:54 PM 05-26-2013
We get 10% off singles up to 20 sticks and 30% off 20sticks-a box. And we can keep liquor there as well.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 11:00 PM 05-26-2013
My local just built lockers in their walk in. For $200 per year you get $100 back in store credit and you can store your cigars as well as alcohol in these lockers. I used to think it would be a waste of money. Then I started realizing how much I spend when I go just to smoke a cigar in the lounge.

I feel obligated to buy at least one cigar even when I bring my own from home, just because I feel like it's the correct etiquette. And here in MN that generally means 10-15 dollars per cigar due to state taxes. I figure if I bought a locker and store a small amount of cigars there I wouldn't feel obligated to purchase when I just want to have a cigar and enjoy the lounge. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:12 PM 05-26-2013
Convenience.

You can stock it with a selection of your favorite cigars, and then whenever you are there, you know that you'll be able to have one of these to smoke, even though the shop might be out of them at the time, might be much younger cigars than your stock, or, might not even be something that they carry. And all without having to plan ahead and pack a traveldor.

Some shops also give special privelages or discounts to members with lockers. Things like purchase discounts, pre-ordering of new cigars before the shop makes them available to the public, free or discounted lounge access if the shop operates a pay-to-use lounge, VIP signup for special events, etc...
[Reply]
Zane 05:13 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Convenience.

You can stock it with a selection of your favorite cigars, and then whenever you are there, you know that you'll be able to have one of these to smoke, even though the shop might be out of them at the time, might be much younger cigars than your stock, or, might not even be something that they carry. And all without having to plan ahead and pack a traveldor.

Some shops also give special privelages or discounts to members with lockers. Things like purchase discounts, pre-ordering of new cigars before the shop makes them available to the public, free or discounted lounge access if the shop operates a pay-to-use lounge, VIP signup for special events, etc...
:-)

Totally agree. I love my locker for this reason. I rarely have to pack my travel humidor.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:38 AM 05-27-2013
I know a place that every locker member gets a free cigar in their locker on the 1st of every month.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 06:49 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I know a place that every locker member gets a free cigar in their locker on the 1st of every month.
When i was researching B&Ms i remember seeing a locker that you would pay i think it was $300 per month, you would get 10 cigars per month and free access to the lounge. There was no discount on cigars or anything else. When i first herd of this i thought it was just a scam. Now that i have been smoking cigars for longer and see how much i spend. Having a locker at my B&M would be awesome.
[Reply]
cmitch 07:29 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
When i was researching B&Ms i remember seeing a locker that you would pay i think it was $300 per month, you would get 10 cigars per month and free access to the lounge. There was no discount on cigars or anything else. When i first herd of this i thought it was just a scam. Now that i have been smoking cigars for longer and see how much i spend. Having a locker at my B&M would be awesome.
$300 a month is outrageous, period.
The Local B&M I used to frequent started at $150 a year, 20% discount, then some high rollers showed up. Soon, all the regulars who spent $2000 a year were forced out when the owner decided to increase the lockers to $300, $600, and $1200 to pick the high roller's pockets. NO benefits at all for the $300 locker, the $600 and $1200 got you 10% when we used to get 20% at the $150 level. They also promised the locker members a free meal once a month. I think I was told November was the last time they got a meal. They also went around crowing that you got an 'opportunity' to go on he Esteli Perdomo tour (that YOU had to pay for, of course), like it was some kind of benefit. Of course, anyone can go on the Perdomo tour.

This shop is not even the caliber of any kind of place that can charge those kinds of prices but some idiots pay it. I obviously don't go there since I was told I didn't spend enough. Really. They said that. To a $2000+ a year customer.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 07:48 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by cmitch:
$300 a month is outrageous, period.
I didn't say I would pay $300. For a locker just it would be nice to have one. At $300 per month i could make a car payment, or buy a box, or take the wife one the town. I think $200 i would be okay with if there where more benifits to hAving the locker.

And I totally agree that any business is lucky to get my money. If YOU think you know how to spend my money better than me. Your right becouse you just showed me that you are not worthy of my business
[Reply]
Zane 07:53 AM 05-27-2013
I didn't say I would pay $300. For a locker just it would be nice to have one. At $300 per month i could make a car payment, or buy a box, or take the wife one the town. I think $200 i would be okay with if there where more benifits to hAving the locker.

And I totally agree that any business is lucky to get my money. If YOU think you know how to spend my money better than me. Your right becouse you just showed me that you are not worthy of my business
Only reason I grabbed a locker is because it was only $100 a year.
[Reply]
badbriar 07:55 AM 05-27-2013
The only benefit of having a locker I can see is, if you can rent monthly, to be able to buy boxes at cigar events and store them until there's room in the wineador. As one who enjoys about 4-5 sticks a week, just can't see having a yearly locker. Now, it would be a good idea to go in with a friend or two. I'm basing this on rates seen here in Orlando of $30/month, for an annual rental. Rather put that into some favorite sticks!
RR
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:50 AM 05-27-2013
Ditto what everyone else said. Plus my B&M offers factory tours for great prices to members. Another cool thing is when they get limited release stuff in, I can just give them my cc and they'll put them in my locker for me.
[Reply]
cmitch 08:58 AM 05-27-2013

Of course I wasn't implying that you would. I think some owners of cigar shops miss the point of the business. Cigars for most, including myself, is more of a hobby, not a habit. If at any time a hobby becomes a liability, then it's no longer a hobby. The local shop's owner wants to control his customers. He constantly does things that keeps drama going. Not a relaxing environment at all. I'm like you, I take my money elsewhere.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:17 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by cmitch:
The Local B&M I used to frequent started at $150 a year, 20% discount, then some high rollers showed up. Soon, all the regulars who spent $2000 a year were forced out when the owner decided to increase the lockers to $300, $600, and $1200 to pick the high roller's pockets. NO benefits at all for the $300 locker, the $600 and $1200 got you 10% when we used to get 20% at the $150 level. They also promised the locker members a free meal once a month. I think I was told November was the last time they got a meal. They also went around crowing that you got an 'opportunity' to go on he Esteli Perdomo tour (that YOU had to pay for, of course), like it was some kind of benefit. Of course, anyone can go on the Perdomo tour.

This shop is not even the caliber of any kind of place that can charge those kinds of prices but some idiots pay it. I obviously don't go there since I was told I didn't spend enough. Really. They said that. To a $2000+ a year customer.
That's because the owner is nutty as a loon, Clayton. We all know that from personal experiences.

I thought the purpose of a locker at the local B&M was so you had a place to hide some sticks and booze so the wife didn't know how much you had or smoked/drank!!!!:-):-):-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:24 AM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by badbriar:
The only benefit of having a locker I can see is, if you can rent monthly, to be able to buy boxes at cigar events and store them until there's room in the wineador. As one who enjoys about 4-5 sticks a week, just can't see having a yearly locker. Now, it would be a good idea to go in with a friend or two. I'm basing this on rates seen here in Orlando of $30/month, for an annual rental. Rather put that into some favorite sticks!
RR
It's all a personal judgement. That might be the only benefit to you, but to someone else, it might be that they are at the shop more often and it's more of a benefit to them. Maybe they don't like smoking at home, or can't, maybe they need to kill time after work every day to avoid traffic on the way home, or maybe they simply just enjoy the lounge, company and atmosphere that the shop provides.
[Reply]
equetefue 09:29 AM 05-27-2013
I used to get discounts, free cigars and private invitations on one of my local B&Ms. That's how I got to meet Mr. Avo in person and receive one of his personal stash cigars directly from him.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 03:49 PM 05-27-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
It's all a personal judgement. That might be the only benefit to you, but to someone else, it might be that they are at the shop more often and it's more of a benefit to them. Maybe they don't like smoking at home, or can't, maybe they need to kill time after work every day to avoid traffic on the way home, or maybe they simply just enjoy the lounge, company and atmosphere that the shop provides.
This is where my thoughts are. Can I smoke at home? Outside, yes, if weather permits. However if it's just me smoking I would much rather sit in the local lounge with people I've gotten to know over the last couple years and come to enjoy. Hence the reasoning for the locker. And I don't feel as obligated to buy a stick or two every time I go in.....
[Reply]
montecristo#2 06:24 PM 05-27-2013
If I smoked a couple of times a week at a lounge after work I could see getting a locker. That way I would not have to pack a travel humidor every day.

From my experience, it is usually regulars who have lockers. Maybe they don't even have humidors at home. Also, I do not think the majority of cigar smokers have coolers or cabinets at home and a traditional humidor does not fit boxes.
[Reply]
dave 06:54 AM 05-28-2013
I'm looking forward to Cigar Locker Storage Wars....there has to be a number of 'abandoned' lockers around the world.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up