Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Are just OK cigars worth it?
badbriar 08:53 PM 05-20-2013
Like most everyone else, I'm still a sucker for a really good description on a cigar. Even after enjoying cigars for the past 6-7 years, The sizzle sells me every time. With the humidors half full of ok/ kind of good cigars and the other half being my regular favorites, I've come to the conclusion that is just isn't worth buying so-so cigars. It's disappointing to start a yard cigar after having a killer stick earlier that day or even the day before. Probably the best way to try is to get one at the cigar shop and have a sit & chill out and see what develops. If it sucks, at least you're only out one lousy stick. Better than buying a five pack and getting stuck with mediocre sticks.
RR
[Reply]
Robulous78 09:18 PM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by badbriar:
Like most everyone else, I'm still a sucker for a really good description on a cigar. Even after enjoying cigars for the past 6-7 years, The sizzle sells me every time. With the humidors half full of ok/ kind of good cigars and the other half being my regular favorites, I've come to the conclusion that is just isn't worth buying so-so cigars. It's disappointing to start a yard cigar after having a killer stick earlier that day or even the day before. Probably the best way to try is to get one at the cigar shop and have a sit & chill out and see what develops. If it sucks, at least you're only out one lousy stick. Better than buying a five pack and getting stuck with mediocre sticks.
RR
It depends... while I love all the AMAZING cigars out there, OK sticks have their place also IMHO, for instance... If I am going to be working on the truck and want a smoke an OK stick is perfect for this... Or if I am going to be on a boat where water or spray might kill the stick.... or if I am working hard out in the yard working up a sweat...

OK- cigars are good for time fillers, when something else might pop up and you have to put the stick out prematurely...

I think that great cigars are good for times that I am sitting down to smoke and can pay attention to the cigar and its quality... if I am going to passively smoke a cigar, not reason it should be an expensive one... IMHO...
[Reply]
icehog3 09:28 PM 05-20-2013
Life is too short to smoke a crappy cigar. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:29 PM 05-20-2013
Smoke less. Smoke better.
:-)
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 09:44 PM 05-20-2013
I think you can find good cigars at all price points so there is no reason to settle for a just ok or bad cigar.
[Reply]
cobra03 09:58 PM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I couldnt agree more Peter. Ive been adopting the less quantity and more quality lately.
[Reply]
T.G 10:00 PM 05-20-2013
I smoke cigars for enjoyment, a cigar that I feel is "just OK" is not enjoyable to me and therefore not worth my time.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:03 PM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Originally Posted by T.G:
I smoke cigars for enjoyment, a cigar that I feel is "just OK" is not enjoyable to me and therefore not worth my time.
Could not have said it better!
[Reply]
pnoon 10:07 PM 05-20-2013
I also think it depends on how much and how often you smoke.

I only smoke 2 sometimes 3 days a week. So for me, OK cigars aren't worth it. If you are one of those who smokes multiple sticks daily, then the "ok" cigars have their place. (They can't all be extraordinary)
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 10:08 PM 05-20-2013
I have started many "OK" cigars. Can't remember finishing them though.
[Reply]
Weelok 11:22 PM 05-20-2013
I keep a lot of ok cigars around. When I am grilling or driving in my car I want a simple cigar that burns well and in the car I want it mild because you get a lot of second hand smoke and a Tempus almost made me dizzy and have to pull over. After that I drive with good burning mild to medium cigars. For business travel I don't want top shelf because Most hotels have wierd smoking areas and I just want to chill and can't enjoy a great cigar enough. Also I gift lower end milder low cost cigars to newbie friends of mine.

My two cents. This way I can pick up samplers and find a use for the cigars I don't enjoy so much.
[Reply]
Robulous78 11:43 PM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX:
I think you can find good cigars at all price points so there is no reason to settle for a just ok or bad cigar.
Ok... Sweet_leaf_PDX has a good point, often times (as the noob I still am) I get confused, when people say GREAT cigar, I often assume an EXPENSIVE cigar... When I smoke O.K. cigars, I am more so referring to their price, I have only really had 4 cigars that were so bad I didn't feel like finishing them...

I also think it depends on how much and how often you smoke.

I only smoke 2 sometimes 3 days a week. So for me, OK cigars aren't worth it. If you are one of those who smokes multiple sticks daily, then the "ok" cigars have their place. (They can't all be extraordinary)
I smoke at least a cigar a day now, if not 2 or 3, (thanks CA :-)) So all my sticks can't be Primo or I'd be living in a cardboard box... I find 2nd's to be reasonably good/decent/O.K. cigars that allow me to smoke multiple times a day without breaking the bank... If you find a 2nd you particularly like (ie Nic Ligero Laced 2nd's) I am more apt to enjoy them while doing other things around the house, Sometimes you can stop everything and enjoy your smoke, other times that thing called life gets in the way...

Originally Posted by CamoFlogged:
I have started many "OK" cigars. Can't remember finishing them though.
And there is the real beauty of OK/decent/ cigars, if they are good, smoke em down, if they are mediocre, atleast you didn't break the bank buying them only to find out they aren't your cup of tea... and you can always put them out without thinking, damn that cost me 10 dollars... :-)
[Reply]
danreeve 07:28 AM 05-21-2013
+ a million.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 07:30 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX:
Exactly!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:29 AM 05-21-2013

By the way, better does not = more expensive.

I have found myself doing some of my chores while smoking a pipe instead of a cigar, it is even less expensive per smoke.
[Reply]
czerbe 09:37 AM 05-21-2013
Don't ask Mac about a Budget Stick that's a quality smoke... before you know it you will find yourself buying bundles of Nic 3000... thanks again MAC!:-):-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 09:51 AM 05-21-2013
I think this is more about price than anything. I've had expensive cigars that should only have cost $1 for their flavor/burn. But I also have $2 sticks that taste amazing and burn even better.

Depends on the research you do.
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 11:00 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:

Depends on the research you do.
Preach it!
[Reply]
Dave128 11:26 AM 05-21-2013
Someone may think that a dog rocket to you is a good cigar to them. To each their own. Smoke what you like.
[Reply]
pektel 12:01 PM 05-21-2013
/thread.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up