Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>How to cut a Drew Estate Java Mint.
Thellamattina 05:17 PM 05-04-2013
Well as the title says, I just picked up a Drew Estate Java Mint from my local cigar shop and it is a square shaped cigar obviously. I have a guillotine cutter and cigar scissors but what is the proper way to cut a square cigar? Will my guillotine or scissors just crush cut the end and ruin it?

Attached:
[Reply]
Brlesq 05:20 PM 05-04-2013
As long as the guillotine is sharp, it should be just fine.
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:22 PM 05-04-2013
You can cut (or punch) it the same as any other cigar.
[Reply]
Thellamattina 05:22 PM 05-04-2013
Originally Posted by Brlesq:
As long as the guillotine is sharp, it should be just fine.
It is pretty sharp, it's an Xikar. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
You can cut (or punch) it the same as any other cigar.
Yeah I for sure need to pick up a punch, I see how it would come in handy in a situation like this.
[Reply]
bobarian 05:51 PM 05-04-2013
Best cut will come from a machete or cane knife, with luck you will cut in half! :-)

Like most box pressed cigars you can either use a guillotine or punch. :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 06:05 PM 05-04-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Best cut will come from a machete or cane knife, with luck you will cut in half! :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Thellamattina 06:38 PM 05-04-2013
Yeah, I don't know about that haha the scissors worked pretty well actually. My cutter wasn't big enough to cut the ring of the cigar. It was pretty tasty, almost like a menthol cigar with hints of chocolate. Burn was pretty good too.

Attached:
[Reply]
Newge 06:55 PM 05-04-2013
I've used a guillotine, punch, and V cut on box pressed sticks. All work fine as long as they're sharp. But sharpness is very important with any smoke regardless of shape!

My favorite cut is a V on anything that it will work on. I recently discovered the V cut and love it! In fact im smoking a box pressed Murcielago that i used a v cut on right now.

I use a Xikar VX Metal V-Cut and it works great!http://www.xikar.com/products/cutters/vx-v-cut/#
[Reply]
Thellamattina 07:05 PM 05-04-2013
How do you achieve a "V" cut? Is there a certain type of cutter? How is it superior?
[Reply]
DaBear 07:07 PM 05-04-2013
I tend to use our V-Cutter at work for anything box pressed, and anything else I go with my trusty Xikar guillotine. Really doesn't make a difference smoking wise, I just like the feel of a V on a box pressed stick.

Originally Posted by Thellamattina:
How do you achieve a "V" cut? Is there a certain type of cutter? How is it superior?
Its a different type of cutter. They have a semi-spherical base, with a single blade bent at ~90 degrees to cut through it. Takes out a small notch of the stick that looks like a V when you stand it on its foot.
[Reply]
Thellamattina 07:12 PM 05-04-2013
Ahh, gotcha. I'm assuming they are used mostly with box pressed? Or can you use with a normal cigar as well?
[Reply]
DaBear 07:45 PM 05-04-2013
Ahh, gotcha. I'm assuming they are used mostly with box pressed? Or can you use with a normal cigar as well?
You can use them with whatever(hence the semi-spherical shape, matches the cap of a cigar), its all personal preference. I have a friend who cuts everything with one, even torpedoes, which is the oddest damn thing to me.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:00 AM 05-06-2013
I use an antique v-cutter every now and then but I seem to always revert back to my Palio. I personally would use The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to light that Java :-)

Enjoy.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 05:22 AM 05-06-2013
Here is the V cutter I use. Amazing cutter.

Xikar V Cutter
[Reply]
Tredegar 05:45 AM 05-06-2013
Since it's a Drew Estate I would suggest cutting it lengthwise.....
[Reply]
hazydat620 09:10 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
Here is the V cutter I use. Amazing cutter.

Xikar V Cutter
I love mine, I don't use a guillotine any more, just the v cut and a punch. If the draw still isn't right, which is rare, turn 90' and cut again for a cross. With a lifetime warranty, I can't be happier with it.
[Reply]
Thellamattina 10:32 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by Tredegar:
Since it's a Drew Estate I would suggest cutting it lengthwise.....
Haha - I know there's a lot of guys on here who hate Drew Estate, or infused cigars for that matter. But I enjoy them on occasion. To each their own!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:41 AM 05-06-2013
Haha - I know there's a lot of guys on here who hate Drew Estate, or infused cigars for that matter. But I enjoy them on occasion. To each their own!
Absolutley, don't stop smoking something you enjoy because somebody else doesn't like it. Smoke what you like and we will all be happy! Cheers.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 11:18 AM 05-06-2013
It was pretty tasty, almost like a menthol cigar
Glad you like it bro. Thinking about that makes me feel sick though. :-)
I've seen a couple posts in this thread that made me scratch my head. The same Drew Estate that makes the Liga Privada? :-)
[Reply]
T.G 11:26 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
Glad you like it bro. Thinking about that makes me feel sick though. :-)

I've seen a couple posts in this thread that made me scratch my head. The same Drew Estate that makes the Liga Privada? :-)
Yes, same Drew Estate.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up