Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Engagement Ring
gettysburgfreak 07:51 PM 10-25-2012
Starting to look around for an engagement ring and have considered several options ie. mall chain stores, a local jeweler, online retailer. I dont like the prices at the mall, the local jeweler seemed like an ok option but wasnt completely sold on him yet. A friend of mine mentioned beverlydiamond.com but the prices seem too good to be true. Has anyone heard of this place or know of another online retailer? Im leery of ordering online without seeing it first.

I want 1.5-2c round solitare
18k white gold band with diamonds halfway down each side of the band
Trying to stay near 12k

Any info would be appreciated, thanks
[Reply]
BigCat 08:19 PM 10-25-2012
I had a family friend in the jewelry business, so I can't help you much about the site. I will tell you that you need to pay attention to the color and clarity of the diamond. Color is judged on a scale of A-Z with D being colorless and considered the best. It is obviously more expensive than a G color with the same clarity at any given size. Color is what makes it sparkle when the light hits it. Clarity refers to inclusions in the stone itself. Depending on where they are located, they can cause the diamond to look cloudy. At today's prices, I do not think you will get a quality 2 karat diamond for 12,000. I'm skeptical you can get a 1.5 karat. If you can, it is going to be lower color and clarity. Low color and low grade clarity mean you have a big cloudy ring that doesn't sparkle. I went with a 1 karat with excellent color and good clarity and am really pleased with how it came out. But I did it about 7 years ago, when diamond prices were much lower. Good luck and congratulations on your impending engagement.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 08:22 PM 10-25-2012
have you taken the lucky lady to look at rings? i did that about 1 year before i popped the question. helped me out a bunch
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 08:22 PM 10-25-2012
BTW, congrats.
[Reply]
Kevin(n)tn 08:32 PM 10-25-2012
My girlfriend and I have been looking. She liked Shane Co. They are online and have stores.
[Reply]
omowasu 08:38 PM 10-25-2012
Best place nationwide to get jewelry - Costco. Seriously, all of their jewelry is stunning and priced right. If you want to spend 12k, there is a lot to choose from:
http://www.costco.com/jewelry.html

Chicago also has an area called Jewelers Row on Wabash where you can negotiate a really good deal on a ring if you are in the Chicago area. I had my wifes custom made there.

Some suggestions - dont buy odd cuts like heart shape or pear shape as they dont hold as much value as regular cuts. Princess (square) cuts are in right now and sell for a premium. Bring a magnifying loupe with you to inspect the diamond carefully, and never trust a jewelers appraisal.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 08:50 PM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
have you taken the lucky lady to look at rings? i did that about 1 year before i popped the question. helped me out a bunch

Everytime we go to the mall she likes to browse so I have a good idea what she is looking for
[Reply]
Eleven 08:53 PM 10-25-2012
Congrats!

I think I'm going to look up my last response to a post like this, cause I don't feel like repeating myself. I have so much advice on this subject that my head wants to explode :-)

(EDIT)

Just a quick one I looked up. 1.50ct round, H color, SI1 GIA certified, wg eng ring with 1/3ct tw: $14,482.00

It's going to be tough to stay at or below 12K with those specs.
[Reply]
mjdx88 09:39 PM 10-25-2012
my 2 cents, find a local guy who will set the stone/cast the ring. By the stones from bluenile.com I just went through this whole thing....do your research. GIA is pretty standard but there is a legal tolerance to go up or down one grade so a color G can really be an H and vice versa a G can really be an F although unlikely in this case, this is true for all aspects of the stone. Its a lot more work but you will save a ton and get the ring you really want.

I would recommend to go for the smaller stone 1ct. but higher quality, it will show and you, your soon to be fiancée and others will notice

One last thing, Congrats! Its a roller coaster, enjoy it!
[Reply]
mjdx88 09:44 PM 10-25-2012
BTW dont order the ring/band from bluenile.....i have not seen or heard a single good thing about them in that department but they do awesome with price/customer service in the diamond section, also if you do order a stone/ring from online get it shipped to work if you can....UPS/FEDEX has been known to leave these packages on door steps.....
[Reply]
Eleven 10:16 PM 10-25-2012
My :-) from a previous post:

Originally Posted by Eleven:
I have been in the business for over 25 years and here are a couple things that I tell my friends:

Get a certified diamond, preferably GIA certified, they are the gold standard for diamond certification.

14k or platinum solitaire settings never go out of style.

Stick with a standard shape diamond (this one is my preference but it has not failed), you cannot go wrong with a Round Brilliant Cut.

If had to choose between attributes, I always say to NEVER skimp on color. You'll find 1 million diamonds out there with the standard "G-H-I" color range, but once you place a D or E color diamond next to any of those, you'll never question this recommendation again.

Also, be aware of any place that uses ranges when specifying color or clarity. If they say G-H-I or I quality without being specific such as G color, SI2, then you can be sure it's at the low end of that range, and I can guarantee whatever cert they may produce will not be GIA.

Good Luck and Congrats!

[Reply]
icehog3 11:56 PM 10-25-2012
Originally Posted by omowasu:
Chicago also has an area called Jewelers Row on Wabash where you can negotiate a really good deal on a ring if you are in the Chicago area. I had my wifes custom made there.
Dozens of quality jewelers there where you can pick the stone and setting, and basically pay wholesale. :-)
[Reply]
big pete 04:51 PM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Eleven:
My :-) from a previous post:
+1. I would sacrifice a little size for color and clarity. Your girls (and other girls) will notice the difference. I bought a engagement ring last year and got the stone through Bluenile and the ring at Shaneco.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 10:29 PM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
I bet the suspense during that year KILLED her.
"I know this bastard is gonna propose...."
Congrats!
[Reply]
shark 09:14 AM 10-27-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Dozens of quality jewelers there where you can pick the stone and setting, and basically pay wholesale. :-)

This. A little bit of education on the quality of the stones can go a long way. Why give her a substandard diamond, when this ring has so much importance? On the same note, why spend five grand on the diamond alone, when you can get an equal diamond for significantly less money? It can be done.

Congrats!
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 11:12 PM 11-21-2012
Thanks for everyones input. Went to a local jeweler and picked out the stone and had the band custom made and set. She said yes and loves it.
Attached: image.jpg (94.3 KB) 
[Reply]
omowasu 12:32 AM 11-22-2012
That is one great looking center stone! Congratulations!
[Reply]
mjdx88 06:50 PM 11-22-2012
Nice, Congrats!
[Reply]
never_enough 07:39 PM 11-22-2012
Good looking ring. Congrats man!!!
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 07:57 PM 11-22-2012
Congrats!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >