Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Room Setup.....
Winnie 12:05 PM 12-06-2008
I'm calling for help from all BOTL....

My wife has green lighted me to convert our spare bedroom/office to a cigar room/office for me!!

the room is approx 12x10, with two windows. Can anyone suggest a good exhaust fan setup I could put into the windows, and perhaps a good ionizer? I'm going to try a couple of suggestions I have read about here, but I think an ionizer may be needed also.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have!

Thank You!
[Reply]
DrDubzz 12:06 PM 12-06-2008
I have no good advice for you, but CONGRATS!

that is awesome. and just in time for winter! :-) :-)

enjoy
[Reply]
Winnie 12:10 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by RX2010:
I have no good advice for you, but CONGRATS!

that is awesome. and just in time for winter! :-) :-)

enjoy
You have no idea....

high of -20C today, I have the heater cranked in the garage right now just to go out to smoke an Oliva O, but it's gonna be cool out there.

Thanks for the congrats!
[Reply]
ucla695 12:43 PM 12-06-2008
Congrats!!! I'm still working on a Jedi mind trick for my wife. :-)
[Reply]
Vitis 12:49 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Winnie:
high of -20C today,
:-)
Holy crap bro, where do you live?

Umm, sorry for the threadjack. Congrats and props to your wife. A very cool lady obviously.

~Vitis
[Reply]
SmokinApe 12:51 PM 12-06-2008
Check with Mark at Cigarmony.com... Last time I saw him he was talking about products for this type of thing...
[Reply]
Winnie 12:52 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Vitis:
:-)
Holy crap bro, where do you live?

Umm, sorry for the threadjack. Congrats and props to your wife. A very cool lady obviously.

~Vitis
Winnipeg, its a cold one today.

And yes, my wife is very cool, and feels bad about me having to smoke out here in our crappy, cold garage.
[Reply]
GrumpyOleTroll 12:55 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Congrats!!! I'm still working on a Jedi mind trick for my wife. :-)

Ther is no Jedi Mind Trick that works on them..I learned Diamonds work really well...LOL

As for the fans...there is a fan system you can place in the window-http://www.target.com/Honeywell-Twin-Window-Fan-HW-628/dp/B000FIIXLA/sr=1-11/qid=1228592798/ref=sr_1_11/179-1605302-8485811?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Afan&page=1

I had one in my basement window for a while..and then I have an Hunter Ion Generator that runs when I smoke and it does a really good job on removing the smoke from the air.

Good Luck and there are some GREAT ceiling fans that filter the air-http://www.purifan.com/

a lil more evpensive but well worth it..the local B&M has one and its GREAT!!

Shawn
[Reply]
DrDubzz 01:03 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Winnie:
Winnipeg, its a cold one today.

And yes, my wife is very cool, and feels bad about me having to smoke out here in our crappy, cold garage.
two winters ago, my friend and I, both new residents to Amarillo, were sitting in class while it was around 0F outside. We searched the ENTIRE planet, and Winnipeg was the only place one earth (with a weather.com listing anyway) that was colder at that moment, and it was colder by around 40 degrees.

My dad lived in winnie for 3 years when he was in his 20's, and has told tales of the weather there, unforgiving place in the winter from my understanding.

so double congrats on the room
[Reply]
bobarian 01:08 PM 12-06-2008
Forget the window fan. Maybe Da Klugs will post up his 400/1500cfm setup!:-)
[Reply]
Mark C 01:21 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Forget the window fan. Maybe Da Klugs will post up his 400/1500cfm setup!:-)
Then ya need an HVAC system that can keep up with that!

Do they still sell the 24"x24" box fans? I'd bet you get more airflow out of those than the rectangular window fans, but I can't find 'em anywhere.
[Reply]
goalie204 01:45 PM 12-06-2008
Congrats Winnie! That is awesome! :-)
[Reply]
beamish 02:02 PM 12-06-2008
here you go these get mounted in the attic or above the ceiling and all you see is the diffuser in the ceiling they work excellent,just make sure you oversize the fan if usibg for smoking...link...http://www.fantechfans.net/?gclid=CL...FQECGgodincCig
[Reply]
Winnie 02:35 PM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by beamish:
here you go these get mounted in the attic or above the ceiling and all you see is the diffuser in the ceiling they work excellent,just make sure you oversize the fan if usibg for smoking...link...http://www.fantechfans.net/?gclid=CL...FQECGgodincCig
I like these, but it would have to wait until the spring, I'm hoping a good ionizer will get me through the winter.

I have an email into cigarmony.com regarding their air purifiers, I may go that route for now. I also have an email into purifan, those look pretty sweet also!
[Reply]
Winnie 12:14 PM 12-07-2008
OK, I think the short term plan is one of those dual window fans for now, with some sort of ionizer/air purifier. I'm going to look around locally, the exchange to U.S. is brutal right now.

I love the purifan idea, but my landed cost will probably be around $600.00, plus the fan, so that's just out of my price range. I think in the spring I'll install a good exhaust fan, along with the air purifier should work well.

I'll post some pics when I get it going.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 12:25 PM 12-07-2008
If you don't do it right, your house will smell like cigars... Not trying to be a party pooper but this type of thing isn't cheap...
[Reply]
BengalMan 01:01 PM 12-07-2008
SmokinApe is right. The door to that room needs to be air tight or else you will have cigar smoke going out into the house. Along with the air tight door, you will need a good exhaust fan sucking the smoke out of room. The fans and ionizers are good, but they won't eliminate smoke, just help eliminate the smell.
[Reply]
alley00p 02:00 PM 12-07-2008
One of my good friends is Glenn Haege, America's Master Handyman. He and I discussed what I should do for my mini-mancave for the winter months as far as keeping the air breathable for the rest of my family, who also use the area for cigarette smoking and don't care to be inundated with cigar smoke.

He has been instrumental in helping designing the air exchange systems for a few of our local B&M smoking lounges. The main thing, he says, is the number of "air changes per hour" (ACH) in a smoking room. He suggested a couple of products to me:

The Panasonic Whisper Air Exhaust System which can be sized to your paticular space. They make these for ceiling or wall mount. The link above shows the various models, but you should talk to someone locally to find out exactly what size you need.

For an air cleaner he suggests the Amaircare Corporation. This company is based in Canada, and will ship to the US if there are no local dealers (there are none here in Michigan). I'm even considering buying the smallest one that hangs on the back of the front seat of your car and cleans most of the smoke up instantly.

If you want to check Glenn's website, it's MasterHandyMan.com.

You'll also want to make sure the door has a good seal and that there is NO cold air return in the room, as either of those will have cigar smoke all over the house.

Good luck in your project!!

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Winnie 05:23 PM 12-07-2008
Awesome info....

I will install an exhaust system of some sort in the spring, it's just too cold now for a job like that. I'm hoping the fan in the window will provide sufficient exhaust for now. I will be weatherstripping the door (I do door and weatherstripping installs as part of my job), and also will block off the cold air intake.

I appreciate all the info!
[Reply]
goalie204 05:26 PM 12-07-2008
AWesome Winnie, hope it works out well and is easy for ya!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up