Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>First timers
cjhalbrooks 04:31 PM 06-18-2012
Well I took my son and daughter fishing for the first time this weekend. The are xeke 4 and aris 3. Let me tell you these two have wanted to go fishing for about a month now. Well I finnally on leave so I jumped on it. I took the kids to a little lake that was kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a nice relaxing day fishing with my kids and smoking a cigar. Well if you have taken a 3 and 4 year old fishing you will understand me when I say relaxing is the last thing that could happen. There was no smoking no monster fish cought and a lot of my pants getting snagged. This was one of the best days of my life. A photo will come
[Reply]
Ogre 04:32 PM 06-18-2012
Sounds like an awesome time!!!!!
[Reply]
smitty81 05:46 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
Well I took my son and daughter fishing for the first time this weekend. The are xeke 4 and aris 3. Let me tell you these two have wanted to go fishing for about a month now. Well I finnally on leave so I jumped on it. I took the kids to a little lake that was kind of disappointing. I was hoping for a nice relaxing day fishing with my kids and smoking a cigar. Well if you have taken a 3 and 4 year old fishing you will understand me when I say relaxing is the last thing that could happen. There was no smoking no monster fish cought and a lot of my pants getting snagged. This was one of the best days of my life. A photo will come
I know exactly what you mean. I have a 5 year old that likes to fish but he doesn't have enough patients yet. It's usually a 30 minute trip if the fish aren't biting.

I cant wait until hes about 7-8.
[Reply]
FriendlyMan 06:06 PM 06-18-2012
If it ain't the fish that's biting then its time to go home. I made that mistake my self when my son was 4 . One thing is for sure, I won't take my 4 year old son fishing again because he's 11 now. Not a trip for small kids.
[Reply]
smitty81 06:13 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by FriendlyMan:
If it ain't the fish that's biting then its time to go home. I made that mistake my self when my son was 4 . One thing is for sure, I won't take my 4 year old son fishing again because he's 11 now. Not a trip for small kids.
I have to disagree to an extent.

It is a hassle but they will remember the father son time for years to come.
It's also great to take your kids out and experience what nature has to offer.
[Reply]
area51 07:03 PM 06-18-2012
I still remember my father taking me fishing. The only thing I would catch sometimes would be the trees, other fishers, and the ground. It was fun though and he was a trooper, but like Smitty said it is something they will remember for life.
[Reply]
Steve 07:14 PM 06-18-2012
I have been taking my daughter fishing for the better part of her 13 years. Some of my best memories are of fishing with her.

A couple of things to remember though when fishing with kids; kids have short attention spans. I didn't go stalking tarpon, permit or redfish when she was young. Instead, I concentrated on bream, sunfish. catfish, and when we were in the salt I would hit the bridges and docks for snapper. If thefish aren't bitting, look around for insects and small critters in the grass and/or tadpoles, frogs and minnows at the waters edge. You can't believe how much fun a kid can have searching, finding, and watching these things. And remember, it's a time for them. When I wanted to have a quiet rexaxing time, possible enjoy a cigar, it was not when I took my daughter with me. There are plenty of other times for that.

Kudos for taking kids fishing! They will remember the fun long after we forget the headaches!

Surprise!

Flycasting practice

Relaxing
[Reply]
smitty81 07:17 PM 06-18-2012
That a boy Steve. A true fellow outdoors man that knows what it's all about!
[Reply]
Steve 07:18 PM 06-18-2012
One more because it is one of my favorites! She WAS going to get THAT snapper!

[Reply]
area51 07:24 PM 06-18-2012
Wow Steve that is an awesome picture sequence.
[Reply]
Steve 07:30 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by steve:
One more because it is one of my favorites! She WAS going to get THAT snapper!

BTW...she got it!
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 08:34 PM 06-18-2012
Man I cannot wait for my kids to get old enough for more "profitable" fish trips. As in more fish less daddy blood
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:40 PM 06-18-2012
Hey douche, Do you know how to upload a picture to here? I can do it for you if you want.
[Reply]
sevans105 09:27 PM 06-18-2012
My favorite place to go fishing with my kids is a park with a dock. If the panfish are biting, the kids are excited. If it slows down, they go play on the swings.

There are fishing trips and kid raising trips. Sometimes they overlap....most of the time they don't. I always remind myself why I am REALLY there. Catching fish is fun, spending time with my kids outdoors is AWESOME.
[Reply]
area51 09:31 PM 06-18-2012
I'd love to take my step-daughter sometime she'd have a blast.
[Reply]
Hem 06:01 AM 06-19-2012
That's awesome guys, great pictures. One day when I have kids I will def be taking them fishing :-)
[Reply]
Jasonw560 06:48 AM 06-19-2012
Yeah, what Steve said!

If you're excited about the trip, and talk about it, then your kids will be excited as well. My FIL and I talked up fishing since my boys were 3. Got them the SpongeBob sets back then, and we'd go out they'd throw out their lines (no hooks then) and we'd just spend time with them. Now, they love to fish. No matter if anything's biting or not.
[Reply]
FriendlyMan 08:13 AM 06-19-2012
I agree it with you all, any time you spend with your children is so valuable. They remember so many details you don't even think about. It's amazing.
[Reply]
Ciro 10:10 AM 06-19-2012
I love going wishing with my son; I've tried with my daughter, but she doesn't want to hear it. This was last summer with my dad, my son, and myself.

[Reply]
bvilchez 10:17 AM 06-19-2012
I have never gone fishing in my life!!! It's something I've always wondered about but I have no idea where to start or what to. I do think about taking my son fishing one day and doing something together that's a first for both of us. My plan is simple: do things with my son that my dad never had the opportunity to do with me. Fishing is currently holding strong at #1.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up