Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Went to the Post Office...
Jasonw560 01:13 PM 06-14-2012
...to mail out jjirons69's winnings, and was told that shipping cigars was illegal.

So, I shipped them UPS.

Came home, checked it out, and found out the PACT act excludes cigars.

Next time I send some, I'm going to have the whole PACT act with me, the USPS.com site queued up, and I might even bet him that cigars are legal to ship. Free shipping if I'm right, pay for me and the person behind me if I'm wrong.

You'd think that these people would be told about exclusions like this, but it IS the "gubmint".

Anyone else have this problem, and how did you handle it?
[Reply]
Remo 01:14 PM 06-14-2012
How would they know they are cigars? Never had a problem, always asked liquid, fragile or perishable, never been asked what I was sending and if they ask I would tell them none of their ****ing business.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:15 PM 06-14-2012
Nope I've actually told the USPS workers I was shipping cigars before. They know me there and never cared.
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:16 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Nope I've actually told the USPS workers I was shipping cigars before. They know me there and never cared.
Same here.
[Reply]
Jasonw560 01:17 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
How would they know they are cigars? Never had a problem, always asked liquid, fragile or perishable, never been asked what I was sending and if they ask I would tell them none of their ****ing business.
My faux pas. I told them what the package was. Da** honest streak in me...
[Reply]
Ogre 01:19 PM 06-14-2012
You can ship cigars anywhere except the Republik formally known as New York City.
[Reply]
OLS 01:21 PM 06-14-2012
In Memphis at the Post Office where I visit, the employees are SO JADED and lazy and arrogant that
they regularly lie to customers. Yesterday there was a mexican guy that did not speak english, and
luckily there was another Mexican in there that helped out. Turns out he wanted a change of address card.
The fat bloated bastard behind the counter told him they were "out of change of address cards". I guess it was
to save him the hassle of speaking to a person that did not speak english. I just knew it was a lie. You
expect me to believe the USPS is out of COA cards?

I had the same experience with cigar shipping to Afghan. ...Guy argued with me for ten minutes and I told him
that cigars were exempted, and he eventually told me that if they got seized, I would lose them entirely.
I told him "You let me worry about that".
[Reply]
Jasonw560 01:21 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Ogre:
You can ship cigars anywhere except the Republik formally known as New York City.
Even the People's Republic of California?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:31 PM 06-14-2012
I never tell the USPS what I'm shipping
[Reply]
RevSmoke 01:47 PM 06-14-2012
I sent some coffee and cigars once. The gal asked me, "what smell are you trying to hind from the sniffing dogs?"

Standing there in a suit with my clerical collar on, I said, "hand rolled flammable objects."

He smiled, chuckled, looked at me a second time and said, "You really shipping cigars with the coffee?" I nodded. "Funny response though, love it."

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Ogre 01:56 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Jasonw560:
Even the People's Republic of California?
You can ship to CA. New York blocked all tobacco from being shipped instate because they couldnt collect taxes on it.
[Reply]
Jasonw560 02:07 PM 06-14-2012
Hmmm....I guess it's only the postal workers down here with the cranial-rectal impactions.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 02:29 PM 06-14-2012
I am convinced that the Post Office is the most frustrating, ridiculous, alternate universe, ever. It's the closest thing anyone will ever get to being in a Douglas Adams story. The normal laws of time and space have no relevance inside the walls of the Post Office, and things that would seam asinine any other place, seam to be not only accepted but the norm.
[Reply]
irratebass 02:57 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I never tell the USPS what I'm shipping
Ditto

I made the mistake when I sent some beer to my Secret Santa person (oops, cat's out of the bag now) and I made the mistake of telling them it was beer it was my 1st time shipping liquid :-) so he gave me the package back and said I couldn't send it.

So I went down the street to the next post office was asked the same thing and kept my mouth shut.....SS received his package :-)
[Reply]
area51 03:00 PM 06-14-2012
I tried to ship with UPS once and got told I couldn't. Weird.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 03:05 PM 06-14-2012
I read a lot of gripes about USPS on here. I mailed out three packages to Canada and one to Singapore yesterday. While I was filling out those annoying little customs declarations I thanked the guy behind the counter and told him that even though the process is annoying, I'm still grateful the service exists at all. How else would I get three boxes off to Canada and one to Singapore from the US for less than $40? It can be a pain in the arse at times, but the convenience of being able to shoot a fiver of sticks cross country in a day or two for $5 is a blessing in my eyes.

Except for Brad. The guys at your PO sounds like jerks.
[Reply]
jjirons69 03:39 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by Jasonw560:
...to mail out jjirons69's winnings...
Not a better sound in nature...:-)

I don't talk to postal workers. I print my labels at home and shove the packages in the mail box. None of their business anyway.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 05:14 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
I don't talk to postal workers. I print my labels at home and shove the packages in the mail box. None of their business anyway.
+1, Although the folks at my small town post office are very nice and usually quite helpful. The few times I have shipped things from there I have never been asked a single question about what was in the box.
[Reply]
Jasonw560 05:49 PM 06-14-2012
I've learned. Keep my mouth shut, and use another PO.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:22 PM 06-14-2012
Even tho it is LEGAL, I never mention cigars in any boxes I ship, incl. those to the troops. One reason is that I'd just as soon not have any handlers know there are cigars in the box- apparently APO boxes are in the hands of locals for a brief period.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up