Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Anyone Ever Smoke...
BUC WHITE 04:07 PM 06-02-2012
The Rocky Patel Cuban Blend Maduro? I searched but nothing found.
[Reply]
lenguamor 04:13 PM 06-02-2012
I have a serious problem with a brand that sells itself as premium, yet still dyes some of its cigars.
[Reply]
Dunkel 04:41 PM 06-02-2012
I smoked one about 2 years ago. I remember liking it quite a bit.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:19 PM 06-02-2012
This is the one of two Rocky Patel sticks that I actually enjoy. These are a winner in my book. :-)
[Reply]
Jbailey 06:36 PM 06-02-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
I have a serious problem with a brand that sells itself as premium, yet still dyes some of its cigars.
Bingo.

Remember years ago smoking a RP decade and halfway into it a friend noticed my lips have turned black. Was my last RP.
[Reply]
BUC WHITE 07:40 PM 06-02-2012
Thanks. Its a fairly inexpensive stick also. Ill try a few
[Reply]
dave 05:25 PM 06-03-2012
3 bucks per regularly on the Monster. Tremendous value. Only RP I still buy regularly. Great example of a deep, sweet, maduro. All sizes good, but I think the little torps taste best. I've never met anyone who tried one and didn't like 'em.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 07:52 AM 11-17-2012
I realize this is old, but I was gravedigging and seen this.. I have always been a bit weary of trying them, but I think I may pull the trigger just to see what happens. If nothing else, at least I'll have something to fill out my humi :-)
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 07:32 PM 11-17-2012
Sounds interesting, but after an Edge maduro turned my fingers black, I hardly smoke any RPs anymore. I just smoked a Pinar Del Rio Oscuro, which has been my favorite cheapie dark wrapper smoke for quite a while. Can usually be had for $2-$3 per stick on the devil site.
[Reply]
cmitch 09:24 PM 11-17-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
In a washing machine, at that.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 09:34 PM 11-17-2012
Lot of RP haters on this site. They aren't my favorite cigar by any means but I've never had any problems with them. :-)
[Reply]
Cville Cigar 10:39 AM 11-18-2012
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:
Sounds interesting, but after an Edge maduro turned my fingers black, I hardly smoke any RPs anymore. I just smoked a Pinar Del Rio Oscuro, which has been my favorite cheapie dark wrapper smoke for quite a while. Can usually be had for $2-$3 per stick on the devil site.
Ditto,I love the PDR's too:-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:06 AM 11-18-2012
Smoked quite a few RPs. I did have a dye incident many years ago with an Edge maduro. It was an extremely dark stick, so much so it made me wonder how it could get that way other than being dyed. Well, fingers and lips brown. Last one of those. I think it's a BS practice. I do enjoy a Vintage 90 or 92 or Decades when the price is right. Never had the Cuban Blend maduro, though. Might want to try it in the future.
[Reply]
Big Maduro 04:17 PM 11-18-2012
I have been curious about these also.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 09:44 PM 11-18-2012
Originally Posted by mahtofire14:
Lot of RP haters on this site. They aren't my favorite cigar by any means but I've never had any problems with them. :-)
+1 -- Never had any RP issues. Although, personally I've never smoked any darker RPs. So.. Yeah... Still, RPs are good for what they are... And that's about it.
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:19 PM 11-18-2012
I really think that Rocky Patel's differ greatly in their different blends...

There is a big difference in the flavors of his many blends from ROTT to the month to the 6 month/year mark... I find almost none of them are good ROTT and they get too bland around a year... 4 to 6 months I have found to be the best but I still have some aging up to see what happens

Also, as I have noticed, depending where you get them can matter as well (for instance Thompsons v. Famous, Famous v. CI)

I have tried many of the RP lines for the simple fact his initials are the same as mine...LoL

Some of my favorites,
RP Honduran Blend- Famous Exclusive
RP Old World Reserve MADURO- from what I hear the Crojo Sucks...
RP Edge Maduro- Yes it is dyed, still strong and tasty... IMHO...
RP Royal Vintage- Pretty good for a bargain smoke... Creamy voluminous smoke...
RP Patel Bros- Not the Next Gen. This used to be a Thompson exclusive.. Can only find boxes there... 5 Packs on famous are better...

The Thompson RP's are nasty!!! I get my RP's from CI or Famous

ALSO, what is it with everyone hating on a dyed wrapper? I have never had my mouth turn black, perhaps a little on my fingers if I play with my saliva?- Who does that anyway?

A few of the Diesels are dyed also, the un-holy cocktail comes to mind... I never hear anyone giving them flack about that... :-)
[Reply]
dave 07:18 AM 11-19-2012
Thanks for the rundown, Robulous. I'm not an RP hater, either -- though I smoke FAR fewer than I did years ago. However, aside from the OR Patel Bros, my list differs considerably.....

Only RP's I'd recommend anymore:
1. Edge Corojo (or OR Edge Sumatra, if you can get your hands on one - NOT same as current release.) --- Note: the devil site has Edge seconds advertised as RP X-Out Liga 'A'. The corojo are good, but IMHO, they are shipped before they're ready. After 6 months, I can't tell them from firsts.
2. Cuban Blend Maduro (Famous)
3. RP Bros OR, if you can find any -- got a box on closeout from Atlantic last year and down to last 2 or 3.
[Reply]
Robulous78 07:35 AM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by dave:
Thanks for the rundown, Robulous. I'm not an RP hater, either -- though I smoke FAR fewer than I did years ago. However, aside from the OR Patel Bros, my list differs considerably.....

Only RP's I'd recommend anymore:
1. Edge Corojo (or OR Edge Sumatra, if you can get your hands on one - NOT same as current release.) --- Note: the devil site has Edge seconds advertised as RP X-Out Liga 'A'. The corojo are good, but IMHO, they are shipped before they're ready. After 6 months, I can't tell them from firsts.
2. Cuban Blend Maduro (Famous)
3. RP Bros OR, if you can find any -- got a box on closeout from Atlantic last year and down to last 2 or 3.
Yea... Those Patel bros are great... :-)

Know anymore about them? Do I need to stock up before they dissapear?
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 02:47 PM 11-28-2012
I personally like both the Natural and Maduro Cuban Blend, but would give the edge to the Maduro version.
[Reply]
Sumatra Samurai 03:13 PM 11-28-2012
A buddy of mine recently reviewed this stick, a pretty good read if you're interested http://cigardojo.com/2012/10/rocky-patel-cuban-blend/
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up