Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Ever seen a wrapper repair this bad?
Chainsaw13 08:57 PM 02-28-2012
Tonight I texted my friend Dave to see if he wanted to come smoke a cigar out in the mancave. Surprisingly he said he'd be by in a bit. Dave's not a big cigar smoker and tends towards sweetened tip/flavored cigars. No biggie, just cool to hang with him.

He stopped by a local B&M to pick up a couple sticks. He's found the DE Java Mint flavored are to his liking (I tasted and actually not bad). After taking off the cello and clipping the cap, he showed me the cigar and the big ole patch job done on the wrapper. Very strange. Surprised it wouldn't been rejected.

It still smoked good for him, so no harm no foul.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:02 PM 02-28-2012
Coulda been a B&M patch job, not from DE. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:04 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Coulda been a B&M patch job, not from DE. :-)
I thought that too, but the sticker on the back of the cello was new. My buddy had just ripped it to open to get the cigar out.
[Reply]
macsauce13 09:19 PM 02-28-2012
I would say regardless of the sticker condition that was certainly done by someone outside of DE.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:24 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I thought that too, but the sticker on the back of the cello was new. My buddy had just ripped it to open to get the cigar out.
This means nothing really. you can easily remove the sticker enough to open the cello and reclose it.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:08 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
This means nothing really. you can easily remove the sticker enough to open the cello and reclose it.
True, but I doubt the B&M went to this trouble. I've not been there yet but as described to me, it's more a tobacco shop than a cigar shop.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:33 AM 02-29-2012
Ask Kevin (Savor the Stick) about his Frankenstick he smoked at the Thanksgiving herf in Cali last year! It was an amazing creation!
[Reply]
shilala 07:15 AM 02-29-2012
I have to side with the majority on this one. It smells like a B&M trick.
Despite that, who knows? I can easily see someone on the line patching it up when they put on a cap. They have everything they need right there.
I've never gotten a patched up cigar, period. I have had some Fuente stuff that was slopped with pectin all over, but it wasn't because they were patching anything.
[Reply]
Remo 07:21 AM 02-29-2012
Awesome :-) but I doubt DE did it.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 07:34 AM 02-29-2012
I had a Java Latte, that I had bought in Bay Area, CA over Thanksgiving. I smoked it, oh prolly, 3 or so weeks ago. It had some repair job like that as well.. Thought it was weird, but it smoked and tasted fine.
[Reply]
ktblunden 07:37 AM 02-29-2012
Yeah, I've never seen anything like that make it past quality control from ANY company, let alone DE.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:45 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I have had some Fuente stuff that was slopped with pectin all over, but it wasn't because they were patching anything.
Pectin you say...?:-)
[Reply]
SmokinApe 01:50 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
I had a Java Latte, that I had bought in Bay Area, CA over Thanksgiving. I smoked it, oh prolly, 3 or so weeks ago. It had some repair job like that as well.. Thought it was weird, but it smoked and tasted fine.
Must have been from the same B&M :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 02:06 PM 02-29-2012
Walnut Creek
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:11 PM 02-29-2012
I highly doubt it was a case of the B&M fixing it. Why go through all the trouble to carefully remove it from the cello, all the while not tearing the sticker holding the cello shut, patch the cigar, carefully put it back in the cello, and then seal it back up. Again, this isn't a cigar shop more than a tobacco shop. My experience with most of these places is they could care less about the condition of the product, just whether you buy it or not.

From what I can gather, these sticks are a collaboration between DE and Rocky Patel. The sticker even has the RP logo on it, but clearly states the cigar being the Java Mint and the size. The pics I"ve seen online show it coming in a DE box. Possibly RP rolls these and DE distributes because they're more known for the infused cigars?

Anyway, not to get into a big discussion about DE's production standards. I just thought it highly odd to get something like this from what appeared to be straight from the factory.

And no, it wasn't the same B&M. I"m in Michigan, no where near CA.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 04:15 PM 02-29-2012
Maybe they were that bored? But another question is, if they ARENT a B&M where would they get the stuff to patch it up with? I doubt a tobacco store carries that stuff.
[Reply]
Drez 04:19 PM 02-29-2012
shes not the prettiest of the bunch but as long as it smoked good thats all that matters. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 04:44 PM 02-29-2012
I'd send that picture to DE, email, tweet it to JD, whatever. That's pretty poor QC if it came from them and if it didn't (ie the B&M did it) I'm sure they would be interested in knowing about it.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:58 PM 02-29-2012
Of course it was done at the b&m. I've had to do it dozens of times making it look as undisturbed as possible. However, we always take a dollar or two off the price.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 06:14 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel:
Maybe they were that bored? But another question is, if they ARENT a B&M where would they get the stuff to patch it up with? I doubt a tobacco store carries that stuff.
They could have used some of that Cigar Glue, I heard there is a member here that sells it from time to time...
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up