Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Wounded Warriors Refuses Donation
miamicigarco 09:57 AM 02-27-2012
Just got an email from Finck Cigar Company in San Antonio Texas, who runs a yearly event. The event raises money for charity, and they were informed this year that Wounded Warriors would not accept the donation due to them being a tobacco company.

I tweeted about it, and some other cigar shops chimed in that they too had their donations refused due to the tobacco company.

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have supported the military for years and many servicemen and women enjoy a fine cigar. For a donation to be refused because of the ties to Tobacco is sickening.
[Reply]
Remo 09:59 AM 02-27-2012
That is crazy :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 10:01 AM 02-27-2012
What a crock of B.S.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:01 AM 02-27-2012
To assume that someone, or an orginization must accept a donation is telling of your own position. It is their right to operate as they see fit just as it is our right to donate to those we choose to do so. The virtue of our donations does not abide us a position or greatness that entitles us to assume we are more virtous.

If you believe in the mission of the charity, why not simply donate it anonymously? For your donation is not because of an interest to your own agenda, or is it?
[Reply]
Remo 10:05 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by kydsid:
To assume that someone, or an orginization must accept a donation is telling of your own position. It is their right to operate as they see fit just as it is our right to donate to those we choose to do so. The virtue of our donations does not abide us a position or greatness that entitles us to assume we are more virtous.
No, but it seems that donations that go to benefit the troops should be accepted regardless if from a Tobacco Co. I understand that they may not want to be portrayed as supporting tobacco usage but c'mon, not like they are accepting donations from the "People in support of clubbing baby seals!!"
[Reply]
fencefixer 10:06 AM 02-27-2012
It's politics, guys. That's all it is, politics. Nothing you can do. :-)
[Reply]
miamicigarco 10:07 AM 02-27-2012

If you believe in the mission of the charity, why not simply donate it anonymously? For your donation is not because of an interest to your own agenda, or is it?
Kysid,

The purpose of the event has been to raise money for the charity. The event has been going on for a few years now. When they called up up Wounded Warriors to co-ordinate as they have done in the past, they were told that wounded warriors would not accept the donation.

To me that doesn't seem like an agenda on the part of the shop.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:07 AM 02-27-2012
Another example of "Evil Tobacco" corrupting something good.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:09 AM 02-27-2012
It angers me because they are turning down money needed to help injured troops. Not like it's a donation from Al Queda
[Reply]
Remo 10:10 AM 02-27-2012

I also understand that this could be donated anonymously, but it is a company(s) that support a great charity and if they are able to say that they support said charity they would be more apt to get my business, just my .02
[Reply]
Remo 10:11 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by fencefixer:
It's politics, guys. That's all it is, politics. Nothing you can do. :-)
Way to go DC :-) :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 10:12 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by miamicigarco:
Kysid,

The purpose of the event has been to raise money for the charity. The event has been going on for a few years now. When they called up up Wounded Warriors to co-ordinate as they have done in the past, they were told that wounded warriors would not accept the donation.

To me that doesn't seem like an agenda on the part of the shop.

I was being more metaphorical. What I'm saying is donate the money anyway. Just do it outside an official sponsorship, official recognition etc. Either it's about charity or it isn't.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:13 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
...usage but c'mon, not like they are accepting donations from the "People in support of clubbing baby seals!!"
Where do I sign up for that club? :-) :-)
[Reply]
mkarnold1 10:14 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Where do I sign up for that club? :-) :-)
If you go out and club a bunch of baby seals, they will notice and recruit you. It takes some effort, but it's worth it. :-)
[Reply]
sevans105 10:22 AM 02-27-2012
I wonder if they will have Room 101 take down the "we support the Wounded Warrior project" on their web page? Evil tobacco.....tasty, but evil.
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:28 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105:
I wonder if they will have Room 101 take down the "we support the Wounded Warrior project" on their web page? Evil tobacco.....tasty, but evil.
They should replace it with a banner that reads that Wounded Warrior refuses their donations and places politics above wounded service members' welfare. :-)
[Reply]
jsnake 10:39 AM 02-27-2012
Ridiculous. 'Nough said.
[Reply]
sevans105 10:40 AM 02-27-2012
Took me a bit. I'm a little slow. I understand kydsid's point now. if it's truly about charity, then an anonymous donation would be fine. if it is about marketing, then I understand why the company's would be bothered. "Behold, they have their reward."
[Reply]
Remo 10:49 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Took me a bit. I'm a little slow. I understand kydsid's point now. if it's truly about charity, then an anonymous donation would be fine. if it is about marketing, then I understand why the company's would be bothered. "Behold, they have their reward."
But that's the point Scott, money gets to the troops, the company can say they donate to so and so organization, I buy from that company because I like the fact they donate....win/win.
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:49 AM 02-27-2012
I wrote them a damned (and damning) email telling them that I would take this up with the veterans' and fraternal organizations to which I belong. We'll see what happens; I don't expect much.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up