Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Wrapper cracking
ApexAZ 12:19 PM 02-12-2012
Ive noticed that my wrappers have been fragile and prone to cracking, especially around the head when I cut them. This seems to be worse mainly on cigars with thinner wrappers. I lit a Gurkha to smoke while I BBQ and clean up the yard and it rolled off the BBQ onto the ground and the entire wrapper has fissures all over it now. I realize it's a Gurkha, which typically have very fragile wrappers, but I am wondering if the 65% RH beads arent enough for AZ dry climate.

Maybe it's time to get a second cooler with 70% beads for thin wrapper cigars. Damn this slope!
[Reply]
mkarnold1 12:23 PM 02-12-2012
It might have something to do with the difference between the RH the cigars are stored and the humidity (or lack thereof) when they are smoked. I would try dryboxing or leaving a cigar out of the humidor for a day or two before smoking it to let it acclimate to the climate.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 12:38 PM 02-12-2012
It would be comparable to winter smoking up north
[Reply]
mkarnold1 12:43 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by BlkDrew:
It would be comparable to winter smoking up north
That's the only thing that I have as a frame of reference. The low humidity in MN winter causes wrappers to crack, I think that the low temperature also plays a hand in it here. You obviously don't have to deal with the cold issue in AZ, just low humidity.
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:46 PM 02-12-2012
What cutter are you using?
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:47 PM 02-12-2012
Large changes in RH will cause thinner wrappers to crack -- taking a cigar from a humidor at 65% RH to outside at 20% RH for example will do this.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:47 PM 02-12-2012
Have you salt tested your hygrometer?
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:52 PM 02-12-2012
I use a palio. I calibrated my hygrometer with a boveda kit about 3 months ago and it reads 65% consistently, but I could try it again with salt. So dry boxing here won't dry the cigar out too much? Maybe I will try that.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:58 PM 02-12-2012
You can use a Boveda to calibrate your hygrometer -- that is fine, but I would test it again. The accuracy of the digital hygrometers deteriorates as the batteries age. So it is a good idea to test them again every couple of months.

To be safe I replace my batteries every six months. I got a bunch of the batteries at a very good price on Amazon (around $10 for 100).
[Reply]
lenguamor 01:34 PM 02-12-2012
Plain and simple, if it's more than an isolated incident every once in a while, it's a humidity problem.

In Seattle I kept my boxes at 60% in a wine fridge and my smaller ready-to-smoke fridge at 70% because I found that cigars weren't smoking well out of the 60% environment. The average humidity in Seattle is around 50%, I think. Maybe you need to experiment by storing some sticks in a desktop humi with 70% beads and see how they smoke.

I wouldn't go drier, as in dry-boxing. At 20% ambient humidity they might crumble like ancient papyrus when you cut them!
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:58 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Ive noticed that my wrappers have been fragile and prone to cracking, especially around the head when I cut them.
Try wetting the head a little before you cut them. It helps.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:32 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
Always works for me. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 02:50 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Always works for me. :-)
Works for me too... Plus I just like to taste the wrapper leaf before I begin. :-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 03:22 PM 02-12-2012
I've seen that head licking advice before and never remember until I'm cursing the cracked cap. I will try to remember this. I might try some 70% and see how they are. But first I will try a hygrometer salt test. Thanks all.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 07:04 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
haha whenever I do this, which is every time, my Fiancee says it looks like I'm starting to give someone a Blow job... At first I was :-), now it makes me :-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 07:33 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
whenever I do this, which is every time, my Fiancee says it looks like I'm starting to give someone a Blow job
Methinks maybe you're doing it wrong....
[Reply]
maninblack 07:36 PM 02-12-2012
Wet the tip, don't deepthroat the sumb!tch.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:39 PM 02-12-2012
haha whenever I do this, which is every time, my Fiancee says it looks like I'm starting to give someone a Blow job... At first I was :-), now it makes me :-)
Wow...that's rude and unattractive.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:38 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Methinks maybe you're doing it wrong....
I just barely lick the tip, apparently that's enough to relate the two for her lol
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Wow...that's rude and unattractive.
:-)
Move on bud.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:39 PM 02-12-2012
Move on bud.
Sorry, can't.....I work here, bud.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >