Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Corona Vs. Robusto
smitty81 01:33 PM 02-03-2012
Ok, I'm a new guy and maby I should post this in the newb question area but I used search and didn't find anything covering this topic.

First of all, Why all the different cigar shapes and how do you know what is right for you?

Here's my actual question. While looking at cigars on famous smoke, I noticed that coronas outscored robustos 75% of the time even though its the same cigar............or am I missing something?
[Reply]
Bill86 01:40 PM 02-03-2012
Try a bunch of different shapes, you'll find your preference.

Most people know right off the bat, "I don't like anything over a ...52 RG" or something like that.

Or maybe I don't like anything under a 52 RG.

Usually you have a preference large or small RG.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 01:42 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
Why all the different cigar shapes
Why not?

I noticed that coronas outscored robustos 75% of the time even though its the same cigar
It may be the same line (and built around the same blend), but it's not quite the same mix of leaves.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:46 PM 02-03-2012
Different sizes offer different levels of flavor intensity, profile, and feel.. Generally, smaller RGs offer a more intense flavor profile compared to the other sizes of the same cigar. Other factors besides flavor and body like the size itself plays a factor. I hate larger RG cigars, anything above 56:-)
[Reply]
smitty81 01:48 PM 02-03-2012
ok. The shape thing is prefrence as I had thought. I have always been fond of the robustos myself.

Just seemed odd that the coronas consistantly had a higher score.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 01:53 PM 02-03-2012
ok. The shape thing is prefrence as I had thought. I have always been fond of the robustos myself.

You could easily correlate the smaller rg with more flavor, which in turn gives higher ratings. I would say though, I don't believe any crap CA magazine puts out.. I mean there top 25 is a complete joke.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:55 PM 02-03-2012
I wouldn't worry about scores and ratings. You'll find later on that many of them you don't agree with anyways. It's all a matter of opinion(s)

If you generally like robustos more just stick with the robustos.

:-)
[Reply]
smitty81 01:57 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I wouldn't worry about scores and ratings. You'll find later on that many of them you don't agree with anyways. It's all a matter of opinion(s)

Cool, thanks!
[Reply]
RCS44 01:59 PM 02-03-2012
I prefer the smaller sizes. In my experience with smoking I have found the coronas smoke easier. They also seem to have better flavor and are smoother than bigger sizes. The bigger rg's are tougher. And seem more uncomfortable to smoke. This is just my opinion and some bigger cigars are bettervthan their smaller RG. All of this is preference of thee smoker though.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:01 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Better yet, find a few of the robustos you like that also have coronas in their lines and try their coronas. You'll get to understand for yourself the kind of differences that will appear between the two sizes. Then, run with your preference. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 02:04 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Better yet, find a few of the robustos you like that also have coronas in their lines and try their coronas. You'll get to understand for yourself the kind of differences that will appear between the two sizes. Then, run with your preference. :-)
I will deff do that!
[Reply]
RCS44 02:22 PM 02-03-2012
One cigar I would suggest is Olivia V. They have one in the robust size and Services they have the number 4, which I think is a corona also..
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:25 PM 02-03-2012
A bunch of guys talking about size mattering!!!:-)
[Reply]
RCS44 02:26 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
A bunch of guys talking about size mattering!!!:-)
Haha good one!!:-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 02:38 PM 02-03-2012
Smoke a wide range of cigars in a wide range of sizes; your preferences will become clear to you as you go along.

One thing I cannot emphasize enough: unless you are blessed with an eidetic memory, make detailed notes as you smoke. You can't overstate the importance of keeping track. Take pictures, too.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:54 PM 02-03-2012
I don't know if there's any truth to this, but my assumption has been that the wrappers contribute to more flavor in the smaller ring cigars, while the filler contribute to more flavor in the bigger ring cigars.

I personally tend to go for Robusto more often then not, but it really depends on the cigar. Some cigars have a drastic difference in body and flavor between the different vitolas.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 03:21 PM 02-03-2012

That's cause they're mo betta!

[Reply]
maninblack 04:08 PM 02-03-2012
If you read Cigar Aficianado, ignore the scores for the most part. They are a joke IMHO. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:11 PM 02-03-2012
I've started to really dig coronas. Flavors really jump out at me in this size for some reason.

Bigger isn't always better. :-) :-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 04:12 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
If you read Cigar Aficianado, ignore the scores for the most part. They are a joke IMHO. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!
I don't put any stock whatsoever in ANY number scores, anywhere. I like to read the tasting notes and go from there to decide if I want to try something that someone has reviewed.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up