Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>A trader's cigar (Financial markets)
Diths0er 02:26 PM 01-23-2012
I'm a trader. I day trade equities, futures, currencies and derivatives, and it's a lonely world. It's basically 90% boredom and 10% terror. My friend, my companion through all of this is a nice cigar. I'm trying to reach perfection, so based on my criteria, what would you recommend? I'm looking for
A. Something that isn't too expensive. I smoke these everyday. On a bad (sometimes good) day, I might need two.
B. It can't be too strong, but when I need it, it better be there, in concentration, relaxation and enjoyment.
C. I'm not going to even be aware of it's flavour/quality most of the time, but sometimes in the midst of the battle, I need a flavourful cigar that allows me to just forget about the day and let me concentrate on how good it is, to take me away and let me forget about my troubles and stress, to relax in this simple pleasure, a good smoke.
D. I might puff heavily for 10-15 minutes, then let her go out for 30-40 minutes or so. Then, when I'm knee deep in sh*t and I need a friend, she's got to be there, so I'm looking for something that doesn't burn up in two seconds, yet doesn't knock me on my butt at every puff, yet she has to concentrate me AND de-stress me, one way or the other.
E. I guess to sum it up, my cigar last for at least an hour or more (with continuous puffing), yet can sit being out for lengths of time ('till I need her), isn't too strong, but when I need some strength she's there, won't break the bank, and has the tobacco/characteristics that HELP me concentrate and de-stress instead of end-of-day-relaxation foh-get-about-it (for me, Rocky Patels need not apply), with flavour/complexity that it's o.k. if I don't notice, but it's nice to be absorbed by her complexity when I need to just get away for a moment.
Yes, yes, yes, every cigar is subject to the man smoking it, but there has to be something that fit's my criteria, based on how other guys experience it. A good cigar is a wonderful thing, however the individual man interprets it. I'm looking for replies form experienced BOTLs, who know what they like, and have been there.
As I write this, I'm knee-deep in battle with S&P futures, a woman that will rip out your soul. What do you recommend? Newbie’s need not apply.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:40 PM 01-23-2012
To begin with, you may need to be a little more specific than "isn't too expensive". That is, unless you want me to recommend about 200 cigars to you...
[Reply]
colinb913 02:43 PM 01-23-2012
LFD DL-700
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Diths0er 02:43 PM 01-23-2012
(One more thing: don't think that just because I trade stocks that I'm a millionaire: I'm just like like anyone else, a man with a passion who's trying to learn his trade. No Opus X's, please.)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 02:49 PM 01-23-2012
I am a fan of Romeo y Julieta cigars. Not trendy, but "reliable."
RyJ Reserva Real
RyJ Habana Reserves

Don Pepin Blue
(...for a more value minded Don Pepin, the Tabacos Baez line is pretty inexpensive)

For a medium-full value cigar, I like "Blue label." It is Honduran, with a corojo/criollo wrapper. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...m=CS-K6D&cat=3 It's $50 for a box of 20.

Enjoy!
[Reply]
Dave128 02:51 PM 01-23-2012
Keep in mind that what one BOTL recommends may not be enjoyable for you.
[Reply]
Diths0er 03:02 PM 01-23-2012
"To begin with, you may need to be a little more specific than "isn't too expensive". That is, unless you want me to recommend about 200 cigars to you..."

You're absolutely right, price is subjective. . .
With the (occasional two a day), I'm not looking to spend more than five bucks per stick, and that's when I can't find it any cheaper.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 03:11 PM 01-23-2012
Great flavor and quality of Padron for much less than their high end cigars:

Padron 2000 Natural or Maduro - 5"x50 at $4/stick

Something a little more expensive, but IMO, these cigars have great flavor/complexity in a medium strength cigar:

Box of 25 = $160 ish (can find cheaper probably)
Tatuaje El Triunfador #3 - 5 5/8" x 46
Tatuaje El Triunfador #4 - 5" x 48
[Reply]
lenguamor 03:22 PM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle:
Great flavor and quality of Padron for much less than their high end cigars:

Padron 2000 Natural or Maduro - 5"x50 at $4/stick

Something a little more expensive, but IMO, these cigars has great flavor/complexity in a medium strength cigar:

Box of 25 = $160 ish (can find cheaper probably)
Tatuaje El Triunfador #3 - 5 5/8" x 46
Tatuaje El Triunfador #4 - 5" x 48
This. Explore the offerings of Padron, La Aurora and Fuente; each has super-premiums, but also moderately-priced options as well.
[Reply]
colinb913 03:34 PM 01-23-2012
Damn, should have recommended a Padron 2/3000. Inexpensive, and one of my go to's when I don't want the DL-700
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 07:15 PM 01-23-2012
Mark another one down for the Padron 2000 Maduro.
[Reply]
DaBear 08:48 PM 01-23-2012
Padron 2000 Maddies
Tat Petit Cazadores(these always give me close to an hour of smoke time)
Nick's Sticks Connie or Maddie, both are great cheap smokes.
Oliva G Maduros(extra kudos to the Special Gs)
Perdomo Fresco
Brickhouse
Cain Daytona

All the above are right at or below your $5 range at B&M pricing, should be able to find each for a good bit cheaper online.

An addition to the list would be Punch Champions, great smokes, $5.95 at work, but you should be able to find them for $4.50 or less online.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 07:51 AM 01-24-2012
I agree with the Padron 2000 recommendation, but I prefer the "natural" to the maduro by quite a wide margin.

Meanwhile, a maduro I would definitely recommend for you over its "natural" compatriot is the Fuente 8-5-8.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:54 AM 01-24-2012
Diesel Unholy Cocktail!!! No Brainer!!!

or Omar Ortez Original Maduros!!!

I don't think these can be beat for the prices!
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 07:56 AM 01-24-2012
That's a good list of cigars Bear! I definitely agree with the brickhouse recommendation; it is one of my favorites under $5!
[Reply]
Retiredguy 08:42 AM 01-24-2012
I agree with the Padrons, but I prefer the churchills at $4.80 a stick
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:42 AM 01-24-2012
Brickhouse !!!!!!
[Reply]
Diths0er 12:03 PM 01-25-2012
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I am checking into several ideas right now.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 02:57 PM 01-25-2012
Did someone say Padron? :-):-):-)
[Reply]
ktblunden 03:05 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
I agree with the Padron 2000 recommendation, but I prefer the "natural" to the maduro by quite a wide margin.
This.

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Diesel Unholy Cocktail!!! No Brainer!!!
And this.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up