Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Before I get overwhelmed...
RevSmoke 10:35 AM 12-20-2011
Before I get overwhelmed with the preparations for the multitude of services this next two weeks, I thought I'd write this note.

I am a Lutheran-Christian pastor, so this is not intended to slight anybody. If you would be offended by something with blatantly religious content, read no further. However, I would like to think that you will be glad if you do.

I'd wish you season's greetings, but that would mean that I wish you the things that come with the season for winter (back-breaking snow to shovel, ice, sleet, bitter cold, and the cold and flu "season"), and I don't really desire you to be "blessed" with those things. I could say happy holidays, but I would really be saying, "I'm going to say something generic in the hopes of not offending you - I don't mean anything when I say it, it just sounds nice and I hope it makes you feel good."

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous). MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.

So, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas, but before I do, I think it best to explain what that Christmas blessing/wish means to me?

At Christmas, I pause to consider the first present given on Christmas, God's gift of His Son to take on human flesh and die for my sins so that I might have forgiveness and eternal life in His kingdom. And, as I ponder the love it would take to for a loving Father to make such a sacrifice of His only Son, I am humbled. It is a Christmas gift of God's love for me, even though I have not deserved or earned it.

As I have been loved, so I am moved by that love... From that love, so I desire to love others. There are too many times and days where I have failed at this miserably. I have been rude and short-tempered at times. I may have said things or done things that hurt others. If you have been on the receiving end of my sinfulness, please forgive me.

I would like to love you all with that same self-sacrificial love given me as a Christmas gift, and pray that you will know that peace that keeps my heart and mind.

So, that is what I mean when I say...

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!!!
[Reply]
Remo 10:36 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas Todd andall at CA :-)
[Reply]
G G 10:44 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas to all. I do agree that it doesn't in any way offend me when someone tells me Happy Hannukah or similar, because as you have pointed out Rev it is their absolute best that they have to offer as it is my very best I have offer when I say Merry Christmas.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:51 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I'd wish you season's greetings, but that would mean that I wish you the things that come with the season for winter (back-breaking snow to shovel, ice, sleet, bitter cold, and the cold and flu "season"), and I don't really desire you to be "blessed" with those things.
Do you only imagine unpleasantness comes with winter? Sometimes I look out the window at a drifting snowfall and find it very pretty. Occasionally, carolers will come to my door and it brings a smile to my face. I'm sorry to hear that "season's greetings" means nothing to you but slush and black ice.

I could say happy holidays, but I would really be saying, "I'm going to say something generic in the hopes of not offending you - I don't mean anything when I say it, it just sounds nice and I hope it makes you feel good."
When I say 'happy holidays' to a stranger, I mean "I don't know which holidays you celebrate, but I'm glad to see you and I wish you the best, regardless".

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous).
Is it required that one share 100% of another's beliefs and hopes in order to wish them success in their desires? I'm not big into fishing, but I'm happy and sincere to wish you a fine catch in yours.

MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.
There you go- it's not that difficult!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
And a very merry Christmas to you, as well!
[Reply]
larryinlc 10:58 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas from another Lutheran. Luther High Class of 1974.:-)

Larry
[Reply]
Ogre 11:08 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas Brother!!!!!
[Reply]
Eleven 11:23 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas!
[Reply]
icehog3 11:34 AM 12-20-2011
Happy Holidays! :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 11:40 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas!
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:40 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas!
[Reply]
Jasonw560 11:46 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas from yet another Lutheran!!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:50 AM 12-20-2011
Great post, Rev! And, it can only offend those that chose to be offended.

Merry Christmas.
[Reply]
jledou 11:57 AM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas Rev and good luck with all of the services!
[Reply]
Mr B 12:09 PM 12-20-2011
Thanks Todd!! Well said.

Merry Christmas.
[Reply]
irratebass 12:11 PM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas to you and yours Todd.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 12:31 PM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas back at ya Todd! This is the perfect time of the year for all to stop, reflect, and be thankful. Too many people don't and get lost in the true meaning of Christmas. Thanks for taking the time to write this...
[Reply]
Mattso3000 01:14 PM 12-20-2011
Merry Christmas Todd!
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 01:44 PM 12-20-2011

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous). MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.
First of all, Merry Christmas to you too. :-)

I know above is just your opinion so there is no right or wrong, but do you really think it's disingenuous if your friends of other faith wish you a Merry Christmas? Wow that's kind of sad. Even if I don't have the same beliefs of someone, I regularly wish my friends something and mean it. I know quite a few people that believe in something other than I do, but if I am talking to them, I will gladly wish them accordingly and mean it. I wouldn't wish them Merry Christmas if they don't believe it, I will wish them what they believe. That is not a reflection of my beliefs, but a reflection of my friendship towards them.
[Reply]
Volusianator 02:37 PM 12-20-2011
Todd, merry Christmas to you as well my friend.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:48 PM 12-20-2011
Happy Hanukkah! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up