Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Liga Privada Undercrown robusto
Don Fernando 12:00 AM 10-23-2011
The Undercrown, there are many stories about the creation of this cigar but the one that I hear most is that the rollers at the Drew Estate factory tweaked the Liga Privada with a new wrapper so that they could smoke a great cigar after they weren't allowed to smoke the Liga Privada anymore because of the limited available wrapper. I like the story and I was very curious about the cigar as I am a big Liga Privada fan. I got this cigar at the Intertabac trade show from Jonathan Drew as they aren't available in Europe yet. The Undercrown robusto will make a European debut on the Dutch Big Smoke on october 30th.

This 5x54 robusto is wrapped in cellophane and will get a € 6,50 price tag for The Netherlands. The band looks like a signet ring and the wrapper is dark and mild oily with just a few small veins. The construction feels good and the predraw tastes like sweet tobacco with some peanuts. The cigar smells like a barnyard with some added sweetness.

I taste a spicy and mild peppery earth flavor with some coffee and a mild sweetness. Soon I taste spicy earth with herbs and some pepper on the background. After half an inch I taste wood with herbs, the pepper is almost completely gone, the sweetness is completely gone and there is a mild freshness in the flavors. After three quarters of an inch I taste herbs with a mild fresh aftertaste. There is some wood on the background. After an inch the flavors are herbs which are getting more spicy and I taste pepper too. There is a peppery but fresh aftertaste.

Halfway I taste some sweetness with the herbs and the pepper. The freshness in the aftertaste is getting more pronounced. Soon after I taste a beautiful and well balanced mixture of cedar, pepper, herbs and some sweetness with a fresh and peppery aftertaste. After two thirds the cigar gets a bit more spicy. The flavors are now herbs with pepper, the aftertaste is still fresh and peppery. I also taste some sweetness and a toasted flavor.

This cigar lasted me for ninety minutes. The draw is great and I got a lot of thick smoke. The burn is beautiful and straight. The light colored ash is firm. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Oh yeah!

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:21 AM 10-23-2011
Was waiting to hear what you thought of these Ferdie.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:39 AM 10-23-2011
I love it, love the belicoso too. Still have to smoke the 660
[Reply]
deadrise 02:45 AM 10-23-2011
loved the review sounds like a great stick
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 03:13 AM 10-23-2011
Thanks for the review; me and a few brothers are planning to split a box so I will be getting my hands on a few soon. Can't wait to try this one.
:-)
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 06:40 AM 10-23-2011
I just bought a 5ve of the belicoso, looking forward to smoking one while watching the Lions game today....thanks for the review.....Go Lions
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:32 AM 10-23-2011
I smoked one last night and really found a lot of coffee notes in it. I didn't find much pepper at all, I was kind of surprised while reading your review. It was 50 degrees out so maybe I wasn't able to focus clearly. Thanks for the review I will have to try another one. I really did enjoy the Robusto.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:43 AM 10-23-2011
Great review Ferdie, I loved the robusto I had this weekend, I'll be looking to score a box once the budget allows
[Reply]
Remo 08:52 AM 10-23-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Was waiting to hear what you thought of these Ferdie.
Me too :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 09:37 AM 10-23-2011
Thanks for the review Ferdie. I'm hoping my B&M are carrying these.
[Reply]
gator_79 02:41 PM 10-23-2011
Nice review. I'm looking forward to smoking one of these. I have 3 of the beli's.
[Reply]
Ogre 02:53 PM 10-23-2011
Thanks for the review. Need to give one a try!!
[Reply]
big a 02:53 PM 10-23-2011
Great review, I can't wait to pick up some of these.
[Reply]
MedicCook 02:55 PM 10-23-2011
Thanks for the review Ferdie.
[Reply]
boom 07:18 PM 10-23-2011
Thanks Ferdie. Now I gotta get me some.
[Reply]
scottdurand 10:49 PM 10-23-2011
Great review, I smoked a Robusto and a Toro. I will say that after having been a LP No 9 fan for quite some time I am sold with Undercrown. The robusto reminded me of my No 9 robusto's and hopefully will be a little easier to find and the price is a plus!
[Reply]
Coach Deg 03:54 AM 10-24-2011
Thanks for the review. Picked up a few that are resting for Epic!
[Reply]
RatherUneek 06:47 AM 10-24-2011
I had a lot of burn issues with this stick unfortunately. The flavors were really great though. I got a lot of sweetness out of it. Bought one yesterday at a local B&M and was told they were still kind of "wet", something about being rushed and shipping early. I plan on letting this one rest for a while. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
WittyUserName 06:58 AM 10-24-2011
Awesome review!! This inspired me to buy a box of Gran Toros this weekend. Cannot wait for them to get here.
[Reply]
Lonely Raven 07:16 AM 10-24-2011
I had one of these yesterday. The review seems spot on. Mine was kinda wet as well.

I have to say, this one snuck up on me, and I felt a little...OK, a LOT light headed afterwards and could barely keep down lunch.

Great cigar, just make sure you don't have it on an empty stomach!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up