Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Newbie in need of some help
drew 09:02 PM 10-06-2011
Hello all.

I have browsed these forums for a while now, and earlier this week I decided I wanted to get into cigars for a hobby. After doing a bit of research I decided on my first cigar being a Oliva serie G. I really enjoyed the cigar but have a few questions. Does it take time to be able to notice flavors in cigars? I notice how in cigar reviews people can taste different flavors depending on how far into the cigar they are. I could not really pick up on anything and it tasted the same the whole way through. Is that normal?

My second cigar will be tomorrow after I run by the local cigar store after work. After looking around I think my next cigar will be one of the following. A Patel '03, Fuente Short Story, or a Padron x000. Do these sound like good choices for a beginner? I believe these are all not maduro wrappers, although short storys do have a maduro wrapper in some cases. From my research I just think it is too soon for a stronger flavor.

Any other suggestions for my next cigar?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
[Reply]
Ogre 09:07 PM 10-06-2011
It does take a while to be able to pick some of the flavors out. I have been smoking cigars for almost 2 years and am still learning. Your choices for a second cigar is good. I would recommend finding a B&M that has a knowledgeable employee or a friend that can help. Also take notes on what you smoke, after a year go back and resmoke the same cigar and your notes will change.

Where do you live?? Maybe someone here can suggest a good B&M.
[Reply]
Crownedone 09:10 PM 10-06-2011
The G is a great smoke. It was one of my early smokes. It was my first Oliva. Smoke many and smoke often and it will all fall into place. Enjoy
[Reply]
Bill86 09:13 PM 10-06-2011
Try the Oliva V's, specifically the Lancero. Short Stories are definitely a good choice.

You'll get the flavor thing later on down the road, I would just focus on what you enjoy right now.

I think you're on the right path. Work your way up to those stronger maduros down the road for now just go with a medium body cigar.

Illusiones and Cain Dayona's are some other good mediums. The Cruzados are great too.
[Reply]
liltim 09:17 PM 10-06-2011
For me it took a little while to learn how to taste a cigar. Its much like enjoying a fine wine or a scotch. You have to roll the smoke around and taste the different flavors with the different areas of your tongue. Also exhaling through the nose gently will also open up the cigar. I am sure this is different for everyone but its a learning process. It will take time to fully appreciate a cigar. As for your next cigar I really like the Fuente Short Story. Your best bet is to get into the newbie trades. That way you can have a pro show you many different cigars that you may not have had the chance to try. Also check out cigarbid.com it is one of my favorite sites for sampling new cigars and you can win cigars for much less than their retail value. Good luck brother!
[Reply]
drew 09:19 PM 10-06-2011
Thanks for the replies so far. I live in Columbia S.C. if that helps.

Bill...I will look into the Illusiones, I have heard some good things. Any one in particular for a medium body?
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 09:22 PM 10-06-2011
Originally Posted by drew:
...I will look into the Illusiones, I have heard some good things. Any one in particular for a medium body?
I fell in love witrh the cg:4 Great cigar!
[Reply]
Bill86 09:24 PM 10-06-2011

Bill...I will look into the Illusiones, I have heard some good things. Any one in particular for a medium body?
I've found MOST of the Illusiones to be medium body, however the Holy Lance was definitely medium - full towards the end. I had the Candelas though if that makes a difference.

I would bet with most B&M's having the boxes sitting on the shelf for a good bit, sothey should be a bit older (certainly not fresh like my Candelas were) and would be right around medium. You could always lift the box and check the date on the bottom. 2011 - probably closer to medium full, 2009/2010 probably closer to medium. If I had to guess......

I would try the 88, CG:4 and Epernay (they have goofy names so I forget, whichever is the Coronas Gorda size 46 x 5 3/5)
[Reply]
cmitch 09:27 PM 10-06-2011
Try some Perdomo products such as the Lot 23 or Champagnes. Rocky Patel sumatra or sungrown may also be something you'll enjoy.
[Reply]
irratebass 03:54 AM 10-07-2011

Here is what I found in SC:

http://cigarfriendly.us/listings.asp...=SC&Category=5

http://cigarfriendly.us/listings.asp...ry=5&curPage=2

Like Larry (Ogre) said go to your local B&M and talk to them, tell them that you are new to cigars and you are willing to learn, if they value their customers they will take the time to show you the different cigars they have and ask them to recommend 2-3 for you to sample and if they have smoking area light up there.

Good luck and :-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:33 AM 10-07-2011
I'm one of those people who rarely does reviews because I just can't seem to find the taste of burnt coconut and honey in cigars. Sometimes I get a little chocolate, cocoa or coffee, but the harder I try to find and describe these flavors, the less I enjoy the cigar. I have a basic rating scale of yes I liked it or no I didn't. I do enjoy cigars and can taste the different flavors, but when it comes to describing those flavors I have given that up and just enjoy what I'm smoking. :-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 06:57 AM 10-07-2011
I started with Fuente's and was hooked ever since. The Arturo Fuente Short Story is a great smoke for a beginner. I have been smoking steady now for about a year and it still takes concentration to try and taste the different flavors. I would recommend to you not to worry much about it as it will come in time. Try to search out some sampler packs on cigarsinternational.com or cigarbid.com. As a newer smoker I just wanted to get my hands on as much as I could try to decide which way I leaned.

Either way just light up and relax!

Happy Smoking!:-)
[Reply]
G G 07:22 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
I'm one of those people who rarely does reviews because I just can't seem to find the taste of burnt coconut and honey in cigars. Sometimes I get a little chocolate, cocoa or coffee, but the harder I try to find and describe these flavors, the less I enjoy the cigar. I have a basic rating scale of yes I liked it or no I didn't. I do enjoy cigars and can taste the different flavors, but when it comes to describing those flavors I have given that up and just enjoy what I'm smoking. :-)
Exactly what I was thinking, thanks for posting it so i didn't have to type it.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:10 AM 10-07-2011
Welcome to the Asylum Drew!

Some people never fully develop the palette to taste the various flavors in their cigars -- particularly if they are subtle flavors. That does not mean that they don't enjoy their cigars -- because they do. Forcing yourself to identify different flavors may backfire and just ruin the whole experience.

My point is, don't worry about tasting different flavors; it will happen or it won't. Focus on enjoying yourself; make the experience count. Also, try a variety of different cigars (shapes, brands, tobacco's, etc.) as this will help you find what you do and do not like.

BTW, you should stop by the New Inmate form and introduce yourself.
[Reply]
Lonely Raven 08:14 AM 10-07-2011
That about sums me up as well. But then, I've only been trying out cigars for about 4 weeks now.

I can definitely taste the difference as I go through the stick, but for the life of me I can't describe the flavors.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:14 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Exactly what I was thinking, thanks for posting it so i didn't have to type it.:-)
:-)s
[Reply]
ktblunden 08:24 AM 10-07-2011
I've been smoking for just over a year and I can't pick out most of the complex flavors people talk about in reviews. I can tell the difference between a good cigar and a bad one, and the difference between a complex cigar and one that's basically one note all the way through. The biggest difference you will come to recognize early on is the difference between good construction and average or poor construction. That often has more impact on the experience than the specific flavors.

Something that can be helpful is to find a review of the cigar you are planning to smoke, particularly a very detailed review. Then read that as you smoke the cigar. That way you can try to pick out some of the flavors the reviewer describes and possibly identify some of them. The Oliva G you smoked is a great one. I can speak for two of the ones you were looking at trying, the Short Story and Padron x000 are both fantastic cigars, I haven't had the RP.
[Reply]
drew 12:24 PM 10-07-2011
Afternoon all!

Got off work and headed to the local cigar shop. Unfortunatly they did not carry fuente's so I could not get a short story. I picked up a patel '03 but didn't get it cause it was a 9 dollar stick and I thought that was too much for this early in the hobby. Below is a pic of what I ended up buying.

Just smoked the lot 23...wow thanks for that suggestion, GREAT SMOKE!

Will light the 63 up tomorrow while tailgating at the SC - kentucky fball game and post back. Really looking forward to that one, love its size.

Oh and they didn't carry fuentes because the owner is a veteran and when the fuente rep was there the clerk told me he said something negative about vets so the owner will not carry them. Other than that the clerk was really nice.
[Reply]
drew 12:49 PM 10-07-2011
Messed up the first image, here it is.

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:55 PM 10-07-2011
You're picking nice cigars, but only buy 3 max of any cigar. There are too many to try if you don't like one, you won't be out that much on the purchase.

As for flavors, start off with the most general ones. Is it sweet, spicy, vegetal, herbaceous, floral...

Taste is personal; some sense certain flavors more than others. You assessment is valid, whatever it is. I wouldn't get too caught up in flavors and stick to just enjoying the cigar and taking your time smoking. Smoking at the right pace is more important that whether it tastes leathery or not. Most novices smoke cigars too fast and they got hot and nasty tasting, not to mention have more nicotine when smoked hot.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up