Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Packs or Boxes?
PindarsLight 10:00 PM 09-22-2011
I smoke but not often enough I don't think to make a huge coolidor or get multiple humidors. I was wondering what your thoughts are on a guy on a budget (wife and kids) This isn't my hobby nor something I think most of my money will go to. Should I just get like a travel humidor and by 5 packs? or should I get a quality humidor that holds 40 cigars and call it gravy?

I love smoking cigars and I enjoyed everyone of them I had on my deployments and stuff and I want to continue to smoke, just not sure how I should go about it:-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:41 PM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by PindarsLight:
I smoke but not often enough I don't think to make a huge coolidor or get multiple humidors. I was wondering what your thoughts are on a guy on a budget (wife and kids) This isn't my hobby nor something I think most of my money will go to. Should I just get like a travel humidor and by 5 packs? or should I get a quality humidor that holds 40 cigars and call it gravy?

I love smoking cigars and I enjoyed everyone of them I had on my deployments and stuff and I want to continue to smoke, just not sure how I should go about it:-)

I think you should get a 150 count and call it George.
[Reply]
neoflex 10:49 PM 09-22-2011
Get a cooler and call it Tim because we all sounded like you at one point or another and than we all eventually go slip sliding away down the slope and out grow our realistic and practical smaller humidors into larger and multiple humidors. If you would like to keep your inventory down to a practical 5 to 10 sticks at a clip my only advice is to delete this place from your memory and your internet history and forget you ever stumbled upon this place as we are all very bad influences on each other.:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:59 PM 09-22-2011
Yup...think about the biggest humidor you might need....and multiply that times 3. :-)
[Reply]
Remo 12:47 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Yup...think about the biggest humidor you might need....and multiply that times 3. :-)
This
[Reply]
Bill86 12:52 AM 09-23-2011
Coolidors are cheaper than wooden desktops may as well get a nice 70 Quart and toss a pound of beads in it.
[Reply]
jdakine 02:35 AM 09-23-2011
Agree, however this math word problem has not worked for me. Started off on track, however it has grown and i'm not slipping down the slop, i'm flying down it :-) Just added a 100 qt cooler to the collection.

BTW: My father was stationed at Ft Riley in the early 60's, was born there.

Good luck, God Bless :-)
[Reply]
thechrisdotcom 05:21 AM 09-23-2011
If you don't find yourself smoking a lot, why not get a nice little humidor? 40ct would be good enough.

Or you could just get a jar and put a humidifier in it. Though I prefer to lay my cigars down rather than having them stand on end.
[Reply]
longknocker 05:43 AM 09-23-2011
Buy A Large Tupperware Container & Put One 65% Boveda Pack In It Every 3 Months. My Co-Workers Have Been Using These For Years. Cheap As Dirt & Works Well!:-)
Here's A Link: http://www.bovedadirect.com/
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:10 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Buy A Large Tupperware Container & Put One 65% Boveda Pack In It Every 3 Months. My Co-Workers Have Been Using These For Years. Cheap As Dirt & Works Well!:-)
Here's A Link: http://www.bovedadirect.com/
Yup!
[Reply]
Country313 06:18 AM 09-23-2011
I was in your situation a few years ago. I'd buy a few cigars here and there and store them in an 8 count traveler I'd bought. Then I went to an out of town smoke shop and saw a 75-100ct ACID humidor (at that point all I smoked were ACID cigars) I bought it and kept 10-15 in it at a time. Recently I have contracted the cigar virus and have added about 70 ACID cigars to that humi. and thanks to the inernet I have about 75 non acid's on their way. I picked up a few ziploc storage containers and a few drymistat tubes. They aren't as pretty but they'll get the job done and I can slide them under the bed and out of the way...
[Reply]
pnoon 06:33 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by Country313:
I was in your situation a few years ago. I'd buy a few cigars here and there and store them in an 8 count traveler I'd bought. Then I went to an out of town smoke shop and saw a 75-100ct ACID humidor (at that point all I smoked were ACID cigars) I bought it and kept 10-15 in it at a time. Recently I have contracted the cigar virus and have added about 70 ACID cigars to that humi. and thanks to the inernet I have about 75 non acid's on their way. I picked up a few ziploc storage containers and a few drymistat tubes. They aren't as pretty but they'll get the job done and I can slide them under the bed and out of the way...
Just don't put the non-ACIDs in the same humi as your ACIDs.
[Reply]
OLS 06:34 AM 09-23-2011
You should be fine. Don't let these reprobates affect your buying decisions. THERE ARE people in the world who can
buy a few cigars, keep them in proper conditions and enjoy this endeavor without having to own everything. I think
based on the way you describe your situation, it would be best if you did exactly what you seem intent on doing.
Enjoy it as a dalliance and leave it at that. A 50-100 ct. humidor would be good for you. However, I would suggest
trying to find a good one or having one made by Waxing Moon that would hold really good humidity. A 50 dollar
humidor is going to keep smokes like a 50 dollar humidor. If all you want is a box, no trays or frills, you should be
able to get something small AND custom for a reasonable rate.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 06:43 AM 09-23-2011
Listen to what they all said. I bought a 50 ct desktop.. Plenty! SIKE! Then I got a small travel one, Bad move... I just got done setting the cooler up.. See how long that last.

Go bigger then you think and multiply it by 3-5.. and always look for teh deals.. You will want/need more.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:47 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
Listen to what they all said. I bought a 50 ct desktop.. Plenty! SIKE! Then I got a small travel one, Bad move... I just got done setting the cooler up.. See how long that last.

Go bigger then you think and multiply it by 3-5.. and always look for teh deals.. You will want/need more.
I disagree. There is no way to know that.

That is assuming that every person new to this hobby will go overboard. That simply is not true. Why should someone go all in only to find out 6 months from now that cigars aren't what he thought they'd be.

While it is true that many of us have grown into larger storage media, there are just as many who have been a flash in the pan.

I do agree that once you realize that you have truly been bitten by the bug, then go big. But not until then.

:-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 06:50 AM 09-23-2011
Yes, True. I haven't been here long enough to see someone just do a little bit.

With that said, I would do a 30-50 ct desktop. If you plan on traveling with them, Do at least a 15 ct.

That was my route.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:34 AM 09-23-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Just don't put the non-ACIDs in the same humi as your ACIDs.
WHY ARE YOU YELLING ABOUT ACIDS! Don't you know that you can type ACID with just the "A" capitalized? I don't go on and on about PARTAGAS and RAMON ALLONES by yelling, Peter. You really need to stop shouting about ACIDS.
[Reply]
14holestogie 08:37 AM 09-23-2011
WHY ARE YOU YELLING ABOUT ACIDS! Don't you know that you can type ACID with just the "A" capitalized? I don't go on and on about PARTAGAS and RAMON ALLONES by yelling, Peter. You really need to stop shouting about ACIDS.
Someone needs to get in here and calm these mods down. :-)

Call in the Mod Mods......:-)
[Reply]
PindarsLight 09:04 AM 09-23-2011
Thanks guy I'm pretty glad I got referred to such a professional and honest forum not to many of these anymore. I like cigars but as I said I wanna keep it at a minium I'm a very simplistic individual so the 50 count is right up my alley. Thanks again gents
[Reply]
pektel 09:16 AM 09-23-2011
I will add that a 100 count is probably the best way to go for a beginner, or wants to keep a small collection. Why, you ask? Because you may find a single cigar you like, and want to buy a box of them (per stick price gets lower when purchasing by the box). A 100 count will allow you to store the entire box inside the humi.

I got my 100 count for $45 shipped on cbid, and it works fine for me. Though in the winter, I do transfer everything from it into one of my coolers (I don't smoke many cigars in the winter, and a cooler holds RH VERY well.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up