Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Partially Smoked Cigar
JJKJR 07:07 AM 08-15-2011
Hey Folks, is there a "right way" to handle a cigar that has been partially smoked that you would re-light a day or 2 later. Do you leave it in an ash tray, put it back into the humidor? Thanks for the responses.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 07:16 AM 08-15-2011
Proper way is to toss it in the trash. If a cigar has sat for more than an hour, it ends up in the trash. Never, ever, ever, EVER put a previously lit cigar into a humidor. :-)
[Reply]
JWC 07:21 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Proper way is to toss it in the trash. If a cigar has sat for more than an hour, it ends up in the trash. Never, ever, ever, EVER put a previously lit cigar into a humidor. :-)
I agree on not putting it in the humidor. The burned tobacco smell will overpower the rest of the cigars and smell awful.

I don't agree on throwing them in the trash. I have re-lit a number of cigars after an hour or even a day and they were fine. A bit harsh upon relighting, but that goes away quickly.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:39 AM 08-15-2011
Don't put back in the humidor, it will contaminate your stock. For me if it's more then 20 minutes I don't relight. From my readings, if you know you are putting it down, blow back through the cigar. When you go to relight cut about 1/2 inch off the burnt end, then smoke it!!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:43 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Don't put back in the humidor, it will contaminate your stock. For me if it's more then 20 minutes I don't relight. From my readings, if you know you are putting it down, blow back through the cigar. When you go to relight cut about 1/2 inch off the burnt end, then smoke it!!!
As others have stated: if you know you are not going to come right back then you should purge (blow through it) the cigar before you set it down. Remove the ash and purge it again before you relight it.

Don't put it in your humidor or near any other unsmoked cigars. If you have to put it in something, put it in a ziplock -- all by itself.

Having said that, any cigar that has sat for more than an hour is just not going to taste as good as when you first smoked it. It may not be totally bad, but it will not be as good.

For me, I would toss it, but feel free to try it out...
[Reply]
dave 08:41 AM 08-15-2011
It depends. Yesterday I had two very strikingly different situations.
Lit a EPC New Wave Stella for breakfast that was outstanding with black coffee. Just perfect morning cigar for 15 min or so. Got called away for no more than about 30 minutes and came back to a harsh, dry and hot cigar that didn't come close to resembling the cigar I had set down.
Later in the afternoon, I started an RP Edge maduro toro that was a little tight and a bit sour. Not bad, but not great. Left it sit in car for nearly four hours (in parking garage - not in the sun.) Upon coming back to it, found draw opened up and a much more pronounced maduro sweetness, with sourness all but disappeared. Turned into very nice cigar that had nearly been tossed after first 15 min.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:44 AM 08-15-2011
I have never relit a cigar a day later that was anything but nasty upon relighting. :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 08:49 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I have never relit a cigar a day later that was anything but nasty upon relighting. :-)
It's like making out with a stripper the morning after the two of you did shots of Patron back at the hotel. It might have tasted good going down, but it is just plain foul the next day.

That's what I heard anyway ...
[Reply]
WittyUserName 08:49 AM 08-15-2011
I try not to let them sit un-lit for more than 30 minutes.
[Reply]
markem 08:52 AM 08-15-2011
If that's what you want to do, more power to you. I would advise against storing them with other cigars. I like the zip-lock bag suggestion. If you have an old cigar tube of the correct size, you can also put it in to there before putting it in the zip-lock. Even if you put it in a zip-lock, I would strongly advise against putting it into your humidor.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:55 AM 08-15-2011
I try to never relight if possible, if it's more than half way smoked and it goes out I toss it (most times).
[Reply]
Conch Republican 09:02 AM 08-15-2011
I re-light all the time. Set it down, let it go out.
When you want to re-light, pick up cigar, knock ash off, Purge (Blow through the cigar - opposite way you puff), then roast the end of the cigar until there is a glow all the war around the outside. Purge again for a full 3-5 seconds, then re-light.

Caveat Emptor - my taste buds are shot and I smoke Cain F for breakfast. Biggest takeaway - do what works for you. (I never use the plastic bag trick (or the snuffer) because I found the smell permeates the cigar - that one got to my taste buds!! ) :-)
[Reply]
poker 09:05 AM 08-15-2011
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:20 AM 08-15-2011
I make habit to purge my cigar whenever I sit it down, mostly because there's a real good chance it'll go out and I'll have to relight. There's a BIG difference between relighting a cigar that's gone cold full of smoke and one that wasn't full of smoke. I've smoked cigars the next day, or even after a number of days, that sat in the ashtray. It's not ideal, but it's not bad.
If it's a cheapo, I'm just going to chuck it if it's gone out and sat for awhile, or if it sucked to begin with.
A cigar I've been smoking isn't going in the house, let alone my humidor. I can't begin to imagine how bad that'd foul up my cigars.

I guess it boils down to "which cigar", as to whether I'm going to recycle it or throw it out.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:39 AM 08-15-2011
:-)
Life's too short to mess around with it anyway, fire up a fresh one.
[Reply]
bowhnter 09:50 AM 08-15-2011
I have used this a couple times... Repuff

From what I remember it was little hard to get relit, but there wasn't much negative affect on the cigar after it got going. They were still pretty good. One an hour later, and one a day later.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 09:56 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by bowhnter:

From what I remember it was little hard to get relit, but there wasn't much negative affect on the cigar after it got going. They were still pretty good. One an hour later, and one a day later.
very interesting.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:55 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by bowhnter:

I just can't imagine that throwing chemicals into the mix and then burning said chemicals will do me any good, but that's just me. If it works for you and you like it, go for it.
[Reply]
cmitch 11:22 AM 08-15-2011
I've never tasted a relit cigar that I wouldn't throw down. I trash them.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 11:45 AM 08-15-2011
Like many have said give it a try and let us know. At the minimum I would purge the smoke before it goes out. I have had mixed results. I had a la casita criolla on friday and fell asleep before I finished it. I purged it and set it in the ash tray. Come the next morning thats what I had with my coffee. It was not the same cigar but it was not unsmokeable. I always try to finish a cigar but sometimes you get called away and instead of tossing it right away it is worth the try. Worst case is you wind up trashing it best case is you get to finish.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up