Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Can we?
RevSmoke 08:46 AM 08-09-2011
Yesterday was my birthday and it got me thinking about something.

I know that many consider cigars as one of the most important activities in any celebration. And indeed, a good cigar is a fine way to enjoy special events and accomplishments. But...

Can we really say that we are celebrating if no cigar is involved?

Let me be the first to chime in.

On Sunday evening, a group of pastors and their families got together for our summer picnic. While there, the guys had cigars. Yesterday was my birthday and I didn't have one. Some of you may be thinking, "How could you celebrate your birthday and not have a cigar? It's inconceivable!"

I like to "enjoy" a cigar, and I couldn't really do that while doing the work I was doing in the morning with the smell of varnish and mineral spirits dominating. Running in and out of different places in Green Bay would have meant letting it go out and numerous relights, sometimes a cigar doesn't do well after sitting for an hour, or more. At supper, in a resaurant cigars are not allowed indoor at "public places" (sic) in Wisconsin.

Now, those were the externals involved with my day. The other factors were family. My sons enjoy the smell of a fine cigar, but my wife doesn't appreciate the smell of cigars. She doesn't tell me not to smoke, but she'd prefer I not taste of them.

How many of you find yourselves in similar situations in regard to your spouse (significant other)?

To be honest, I did think about what cigar I'd enjoy for my birthday Monday on Sunday evening. But, Monday came about I really didn't desire a cigar. Nobody around me that day was smoking, so there wasn't that temptation. And, I was enjoying the company of my family so much that I never really missed the cigar I didn't smoke to celebrate that day.

We have talked here about what makes cigars special, what makes them so enjoyable, and very often it is said that the company we were keeping during the smoking of those cigars was the most important factor to their enjoyment.

Can we... say that the company we keep is indeed more important than the cigars?

Can we... say that even without the cigars, the occasion can be grand?

Of course, I'd also conclude that in the right situation, with the right companions, a good cigar can also be a great addition to make an occasion special.

Can we... say that when we get upset about not being able to have a cigar, we may be looking past what is most important?

Just some thoughts.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
chand 08:49 AM 08-09-2011
Yes, yes, and yes! Great thoughts, thanks Rev.
[Reply]
pektel 08:51 AM 08-09-2011
Totally agree. Your birthday sounded similar to mine. The timing was not there, and the company who also enjoy cigars was not there. Didn't bother me in the least. In fact, it made my day BETTER once I let go of the thought of "I HAVE to smoke something good today!"

Happy belated birthday, brother. Totally missed it yesterday.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:52 AM 08-09-2011
Well Happy Birthday first.

I had a cigar at my wedding and didn't really get to enjoy it, however the act of all my boys smoking a cigar together was great. I don't actually like to smoke for special occasions as I would rather smoke when I have some free time to appreciate it.
Also on birthdays you might be spending alot of close time around loved ones and they may not like the smell, I know my wife hates getting close after I have been smoking.
[Reply]
awsmith4 08:52 AM 08-09-2011
I have enjoyed many a celebration with a good cigar
I have enjoyed many a celebration with a bad cigar
I have enjoyed many a celebration with no cigar

I have also have been smoking a cigar and because it was so good it turned into a celebration.
[Reply]
Bill86 08:52 AM 08-09-2011
Yeah, the answers are definitely all yes!

The cigar only makes it better if that's how you got there.....otherwise for me, good friends, good times. The cigars merely compliment the occasion they certainly don't make it.
[Reply]
WittyUserName 08:52 AM 08-09-2011
Very well written and I completely agree. There are some time when a cigar just does not fit in.
[Reply]
jledou 09:51 AM 08-09-2011
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar .....

Interestingly there are times at the end of the day I find I didn't have time to sit down and have a cigar and that's OK there's always tomorrow. There is always tomorrow and as you said Rev sometimes other things, people or events are more important.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:52 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by awsmith4:

I have also have been smoking a cigar and because it was so good it turned into a celebration.
This is exactly how I feel about it. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 09:56 AM 08-09-2011

Have you ever not enjoyed a celebration?
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:58 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Have you ever not enjoyed a celebration?
Would it really be celebrating if you were not enjoying it?
[Reply]
gbum 10:00 AM 08-09-2011
yes we can
and totally agreed with all the statement above...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:03 AM 08-09-2011
Would it really be celebrating if you were not enjoying it?
I was at a baby shower with some of my wifes friends a couple weeks ago and all I could think about was smoking a nice cigar. They were all sniffing diapers with melted chocolate inside and drinking beer out of baby bottles and I was on the devil site with my phone. My wife is a nurse and all her friends ever talk about is work, drives me crazy. Anyways, yes I would say I was at a celebration and not enjoying it.
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:10 AM 08-09-2011
I was at a baby shower with some of my wifes friends a couple weeks ago and all I could think about was smoking a nice cigar. They were all sniffing diapers with melted chocolate inside and drinking beer out of baby bottles and I was on the devil site with my phone. My wife is a nurse and all her friends ever talk about is work, drives me crazy. Anyways, yes I would say I was at a celebration and not enjoying it.

Do what I do...drink and eat.

Also remember to bring lots of cigars next time and start a herf outside. I have done this more than once. I also make it a point not to show up to baby showers.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:15 AM 08-09-2011
Do what I do...drink and eat.

Also remember to bring lots of cigars next time and start a herf outside. I have done this more than once. I also make it a point not to show up to baby showers.
Couldn't herf around the pregnant lady, everybody was outside in a small yard. I did enjoy the food but I promised to be a designated driver so...

"I also make it a point not to show up to baby showers".:-)
That is my true lesson learned!
[Reply]
Ogre 11:02 AM 08-09-2011
A celebration is what you make of, cigar or no cigar. My suggestion is to sit down the next free moment and give yourself a B-Day present. Take your time, enjoy it, and reflect on what the celebration is all about. As for spouses, Leigh will be sitting right next to me with her own cigar!!!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:18 AM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
A celebration is what you make of, cigar or no cigar. My suggestion is to sit down the next free moment and give yourself a B-Day present. Take your time, enjoy it, and reflect on what the celebration is all about. As for spouses, Leigh will be sitting right next to me with her own cigar!!!
A couple different directions to go with "give yourself a B-Day present".
I'll go with smoke a cigar?!?:-)

Sorry, RevSmoke I took this thread a different direction, back on topic:
I think one of the deepest self reflections I have had, came from smoking a cigar all by myself on my last birthday.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:22 AM 08-09-2011
Some celebrations are fun and can be done without cigars or alcohol! These are with people you enjoy being with.

Some can only be tolerated with cigars and alcohol! At one of these, if there is no alcohol... there better be a cigar!
:-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:26 AM 08-09-2011
I think it had nothing to do with a question of cigar-vs-nocigar. I think it was all about how you could escape from a situation in which you felt trapped and were having no fun. It was not your 'type' of celebration. Guys don't belong at baby showers, they are arranged and planned for the girls, it is uncomfortable for us guys. Same thing with wedding showers. The games they play aren't designed or organized with men in mind.

And when it comes to them encouraging us to come along by saying things like, "but it is for guys and girls, you'll have a great time. You just need to get in touch with your feminine side." Smile, kiss her on the cheek, and say, "I just did honey. I'd love to get more in touch with my feminine side later :-). Why don't you just go and have a good time, you could use some ladies alone time. Love you!" And then kiss her again.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Ogre 11:30 AM 08-09-2011
Amen Brother Todd. Drop me off at the B&M on the way out. Pick me up on the way back!!!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up