Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: What is your preference, box press or regular round?
Box Press Cigar 27 24.55%
Regular Round Cigar 69 62.73%
Other 14 12.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Box Press vs. Regular
Blak Smyth 11:55 AM 08-02-2011
I seem to enjoy a box press cigar over a regular round cigar.
I just like the way it feels in my hand. My first impression as a newbie was that box pressed cigars would be less desireable, but after smoking a few my opinion has changed.
What is your opinion?

(And I mean two identical smokes, one box pressed and the other one is regular round.)
[Reply]
kickerb 11:58 AM 08-02-2011
LOVE the Padron 3000 box-press!!!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:04 PM 08-02-2011
I voted other. While I do like some box-pressed sticks I would not go so far as to make a generalization that box-press is a preference. Like everything else I have had box-press sticks that I did not care for...

What can I say, I like what I like... :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:16 PM 08-02-2011
The BOX has a feel of it's own... :-) I lean towards the box if given the choice.
[Reply]
wayner123 12:24 PM 08-02-2011
I can honestly say that I cannot recall ever having a box pressed cigar to burn correctly. The worst were the old Onyx's. No matter what they would burn down one side.

Btw, how many cigars are offered in both a box press and non box press? I mean there are certainly marca's who offer both, but are they of the same blend or vitola?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:25 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I can honestly say that I cannot recall ever having a box pressed cigar to burn correctly. The worst were the old Onyx's. No matter what they would burn down one side.

Btw, how many cigars are offered in both a box press and non box press? I mean there are certainly marca's who offer both, but are they of the same blend or vitola?
My experience with both styles was with a Man O' War, I was certain they were the same but now you have me second guessing.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:25 PM 08-02-2011
601 Blue Maduros are a great example of a perfect burn, awesome tasting box press stick!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:31 PM 08-02-2011
I prefer my cigars from a cab or SLB, and thus round.
[Reply]
Angus 12:42 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
601 Blue Maduros are a great example of a perfect burn, awesome tasting box press stick!! :-) :-)
Completely agree....Love the 601 Blues :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Killian 12:49 PM 08-02-2011
Have to say I am not a fan of box pressed sticks. Not really sure why either. I guess its just a weird preference.

On another note, have you 601 blue box pressed fans ever had a batch that were gritty? I have a fiver now that almost seem like there is a fine sand in them? Not bad sticks, but that is just a turn off. Sorry for the hijack.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:49 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I voted other.
Me, too. As a general rule, I don't really like a box-press (especially a strong one), but with some vitolas in particular (lonsdales, for example), I have a sentimental appreciation for it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:52 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I prefer my cigars from a cab or SLB, and thus round.
Do they even make box-pressed CC's?
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:53 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Do they even make box-pressed CC's?
There are a lot of CCs with a mild box-press, but none I'm aware of with a strong one.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:59 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
There are a lot of CCs with a mild box-press, but none I'm aware of with a strong one.
Just wondering if Tom every had one :-)
[Reply]
kickerb 12:59 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
:-)
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 12:59 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:

I know the La Riqueza PCs came in both box and non-box press.... I actually ordered a sampler of them that were called "Circles and Squares" or something like that. Half of the sampler from a dress box, the rest from a cab.

Not so shockingly, I liked the cab version more because of burn issues.
[Reply]
Steve 01:15 PM 08-02-2011
Both...
[Reply]
G G 01:17 PM 08-02-2011
I don't have a preference.
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:22 PM 08-02-2011
Both. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 01:29 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Every dress box CC that I've smoked has a slight box press, and it's just a byproduct of the way they are packaged. Cab CC's do not. Of course, the only exceptions I can think of for dress box cigars not being box pressed are tubos and en cedros (cedar wrapped).

NC box pressed are done intentionally, I think. I'm not sure though.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up