Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>In praise of smoking alone
D. Generate 11:49 AM 07-08-2011
I don't post here too often and don't know most of the folks here. I came here from CS when that all went pear shaped, but to be honest the last couple years I wasn't even posting there that often.

I moved to London from Reno in January 2007 and that was a fair bit of a lifestyle change. I fell out of touch with a lot of friends and people I care about as that kind of geographical shift will require. I don't regret the move as I married my true love, 17 years after we first dated, broke up, married other people, divorced, and eventually, reconnected. Still, the expat life takes some getting used to and accepting certain, inevitable changes.

2011 has been a very hard year so far. My mother passed away last month and I had to go home to help take care of my father and find a place where he could live and have the medical care he needs. I've had a couple accidents breaking bones, etc, that have limited me in doing things I am passionate about. The most recent last Friday leaving me in the hospital for six days and requiring an operation that will likely have significant ramifications that further limit me.

I hope the worst is past and am now trying to focus on a positive future. My wife is pregnant and we are expecting our first son on Halloween, which I am very excited about. I am currently off work recovering today, and a bit doped-up on opiates, which probably influences to a degree why I'm even writing this.

I have finally been feeling physically well enough to smoke and get back to things. I have had a Cohiba Lancero and am currently smoking a Bolivar Gold Medal. While a cigar doesn't make all things better, there is something about smoking alone when there is a lot on the mind that helps lend a needed perspective. I have spent today sending emails that I am far too behind on, and getting back in touch with friends and family that I have neglected. Enjoying a nice cigar and watching the smoke curl away lends a pleasant, meditative quality to the solitary herf.

As much as I enjoy smoking with friends, this bit of time alone with a cigar has been the best this year.
[Reply]
357 11:57 AM 07-08-2011
Hope things look up for your health. Sorry to hear about your mom.

I know this is a thread about solidarity, but have you tried to find any local inmates to herf with?

Personally I don't smoke alone too often. I prefer the company of other cigar smokers. I do however appreciate the calm quiet and time to reflect when I do smoke alone.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:39 PM 07-08-2011
I miss you when you're not around, Dale, you were the first gorilla to extend a paw to me at Club Stogie. My condolences on your loss, and my hopes that things continue to look up for you...always.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 12:48 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I miss you when you're not around, Dale, you were the first gorilla to extend a paw to me at Club Stogie. My condolences on your loss, and my hopes that things continue to look up for you...always.
:-) It's nice to be able to use that smily with conviction. :-)

Dale it's nice to see you resurface. Sorry about your loss and recent injuries. Solitary is good forthe soul at times. Too much makes the soul a bit odd. Find some "chums" to mix it up a bit over a pint. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:52 PM 07-08-2011
You might be surprised at how many of us remember you. And an even greater number wish the best for you. Dale, I occasionally smoke alone and enjoy the time to reflect. But I think a speak for some when I say to reach out to us when you can. The support from the Asylum is huge.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Coach Deg 12:56 PM 07-08-2011
Best wishes on a turnaround for the rest of the year! Best of wishes on the new addition also.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:57 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You might be surprised at how many of us remember you. And an even greater number wish the best for you. Dale, I occasionally smoke alone and enjoy the time to reflect. But I think a speak for some when I say to reach out to us when you can. The support from the Asylum is huge.
Agreed! Besides, who could ever forget the Lemmy avatar(s). :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 02:42 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by D. Generate:
... Enjoying a nice cigar and watching the smoke curl away lends a pleasant, meditative quality to the solitary herf.

As much as I enjoy smoking with friends, this bit of time alone with a cigar has been the best this year.
Well said... and I agree. Sometimes a solitary, contemplative smoke can have restorative effects rarely experienced elsewhere.

Prayers for a speedy recovery and for peace in your life.
Congratulations on the coming child!

:-)
[Reply]
galaga 04:13 PM 07-08-2011
Sometimes a person needs to laugh it up and have a good time in the company of good friends and a smoke. Sometimes a person needs to sit, reflect and talk to their favorite tree, the cigar smoke, or whatever will have a serious conversation with them. Balance in life. Good to "see" you again Dale. Congrats on your son, condolences for your parents, and get well soon. ENJOY.
[Reply]
mash 05:14 PM 07-08-2011
Thank you for your well thought out post. Sorry about your loss and misfortune, I hope your health and function bounce back.
I agree with your sentiment, sometimes the peace and quiet of solitude and a cigar can be great.
Congrats on the pregnancy.
[Reply]
hotreds 05:24 PM 07-08-2011
All the best to you and your wife- and congrats on the next generation!

Indeed, I smoke alone almost everyday, it does give one time to ponder! But, I must say that a herf is the most enjoyable thing- maybe because I don't attend more than about one a month. I think all the bros here will agree that the Shack Herf is about the bestest thing in the cigar universe.

Prayers sent for a full and rapid recovery!
[Reply]
Remo 05:25 PM 07-08-2011
Great post Dale and hope all looks up for you, but the birth of your child is exciting and best wishes to you and your family. And with your avatar, you had me from hello :-)
[Reply]
OLS 05:57 PM 07-08-2011
Imagine smoking like that ALL THE TIME my brother...Still, having a woman around at times would be better, I think, lol.
Always good to see you post and would hope that you increase and never stop. There was a time that I remember when
you were really active, and of course, that was when we started talking a little way back when. Made me go out and
dig up more on Lemmy, haha. I hope that your family grows effortlessly and without drama and upheaval.
Sorry about your family affairs, that is always tough, I know. Haven't had to deal with it in 20 years, but not having
my father since then is not so hot. I was a dumb kid who could have cared less about hanging around him and learning
at his side when he was alive. And now I am living my penance.

Hope they do not accuse you of being one of them new-fangled human bombs when you cross borders.
[Reply]
hscmit 06:03 PM 07-08-2011
I smoke alone almost every day, and enjoy the time and quiet

Hope things turn around and improve for you personally
[Reply]
maninblack 08:47 PM 07-08-2011
Sorry for your loss and your injuries but a big congrats on the baby!!! That is a life changing event that I'm thankful for everyday. I too smoke alone, mainly cause no one around here appreciates a good cigar.
[Reply]
Old Sailor 08:59 PM 07-08-2011
Prayers sent for a full and rapid recovery!
Good ta see ya back posting!
[Reply]
Kneo 09:15 PM 07-08-2011
I agree on the smoking alone. I love sitting out on my deck with a cigar and drink in hand. Nothing relaxes me more and it gives me a chance to sit and collect my thoughts

Hope you are feeling better soon. Stay strong brother. Also stay thirsty my friend:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 09:54 PM 07-08-2011
I remember you from C.S and it's good to see you around again. Time heals all wounds.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:53 PM 07-08-2011
good to see you posting again Dale, sorry about all the troubles you had to go to, but there's light at the end of the tunnel, a new life in the near future. Do you still live in London?
[Reply]
D. Generate 02:55 AM 07-09-2011
Thanks for all the replies and kind words, they are appreciated. What I loved about CS was the community and genuine camaraderie I felt with people that I had never actually met. It's amazing, and a real testament to the people here, that this has only been improved at CA.

Everyone has rough spots in life and while I was being a bit pensive and melancholy yesterday, I know I am a very fortunate man in many ways. Not the least of which is having found the community here. It's nice to be around more often again. :-)

Today the sun is shining and I'm going to meet a mate for a cigar in a beer garden.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up