Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Let it rest?
Flounder 09:20 AM 07-07-2011
So, I just got a shipment of about 25 sticks yesterday, RP and Fuente samplers, I don't like to smoke my new cigars right away, and I know a lot of you guys talk about letting them rest for a while after they arrive.

My question is, why? I do it just because I don't like smoking straight out of shipping, but what other pros come with resting your newly delivered babies?
[Reply]
Whee 09:22 AM 07-07-2011
Most places ship cigars "wet" and letting them rest allows them to acclimate to your humidor and your conditions.

But if they taste and smoke good....smoke 'em.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:23 AM 07-07-2011
Because most shippers do not ship humidified, or ship them from their storage at a higher RH. You want to give them time to reach the proper humidity. I just got some VOR DTs from Fullers Pullers that were ship humidity controlled, gonna smoke one tomorrow..
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 09:24 AM 07-07-2011
Most times cigars aren't shipped under optimal conditions. Giving them a few weeks to adjust to your storage conditions will make them smoke better.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:25 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Most places ship cigars "wet" and letting them rest allows them to acclimate to your humidor and your conditions.

But if they taste and smoke good....smoke 'em.
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Because most shippers do not ship humidified. You want to give them time to reach the proper humidity.
:-)
[Reply]
Whee 09:26 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:

Amazing, two opposing opinions here?

The main point is, cigars do not arrive in optimal smoking condition most of the time. Vendor, shipping and conditions can all affect the cigar. Allowing them to rest gets them acclimated to your specific conditions that you like to smoke.

As always YMMV.
[Reply]
bobarian 09:28 AM 07-07-2011
Cigars often have to fly a long way to get to your home. They are tired and need a few days or weeks of sleep. :-)
[Reply]
Flounder 09:30 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Cigars often have to fly a long way to get to your home. They are tired and need a few days or weeks of sleep. :-)
That's what I thought. I don't know what these other guys are talking about...
[Reply]
poker 09:31 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
3 years should be about right. :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:33 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by poker:
These are NCs not CCs Kelly :-)
[Reply]
poker 09:34 AM 07-07-2011
I know. If they were CC's I would have said 5 years :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:35 AM 07-07-2011
I know. If they were CC's I would have said 5 years :-)
Smoking an Anejo no48 this weekend with 3 yrs on it :-)
Still afraid of that Davidoff u sent me :-)
[Reply]
jesseboston81 09:35 AM 07-07-2011
I thought that three years was the aging cap? Try starting with three weeks to let your sticks stabilize. If you really want aged cigars, you'll start noticing age after three months.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 09:38 AM 07-07-2011
3 years for NC and CCs are like what? 3-4 years min? ( from box code )
[Reply]
pnoon 09:40 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Still afraid of that Davidoff u sent me :-)
I ain't afraid. Send it to me. I'll smoke it. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:43 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Posted via Mobile Device
pm me your address :-)
Nah i'm not AFRAID i guess. I just dont think my palate is advanced enough to appreciate it.
[Reply]
kickerb 09:43 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:10 AM 07-07-2011
The comment was made that some sticks are delivered humidity controlled.
Is there a way to know if an order is good to smoke right away or not? Or should you just rest them all?
Currently I am just putting them away as long as I can keep patient, hasn't worked out so well yet. I will be out of rested cigars after this weekend.
[Reply]
Whee 10:11 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
The comment was made that some sticks are delivered humidity controlled.
Is there a way to know if an order is good to smoke or not?
Currently I am just putting them away as long as I can keep patient, hasn't worked out so well yet. I will be out of rested cigars after this weekend.
Smoke one.:-)
[Reply]
jesseboston81 10:11 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Is there a way to know if an order is good to smoke or not?
Smoke one and find out. You can try and tell by the feel or sponginess of the cigar or the amount of sheen on the wrapper, but smoking one is the best way to really know if they're good to go.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up