Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
General Discussion>Our deck just showed up.
shilala 01:55 PM 06-17-2011
We've been doing a bunch of work on the house since Spring. I put in beds for bushes, stone around them, started building cabinets for all the walls in the garage (every square inch of walls), added a piece of concrete to widen our driveway, and we just finished a sidewalk that goes from front to back, and got our garden in.
The big project is our deck.
It's enormous. I have no idea what I was thinking. I do all this stuff myself, aside from hiring a buddy to help with the concrete, and it takes me forever. He helped pour the 21 concrete piers, they were 48" deep and we used 8" form tubes. We mixed all that by hand, it was a job.
So the deck is ready to go up, finally.
I designed it and drew the plans a few weeks ago, got all the permits from zoning, the building commission and the homeowner's association, and just bought all the screws and fasteners and stuff yesterday.
I ordered the lumber yesterday and it showed up just a little while ago. When it came off the truck and I got a good look at it, I just about puked. This thing is gonna be the end of me.
Fortunately my father-in-law is going to help, so we should have it done in about a week, weather permitting.
I figured I'd post up pics as it goes so I can see the start-to-finish.
Here she is in imagination stage...

That's our house, the pile, my sweet baby, and the boy.

This is just a shot from the other end of the pile.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 01:57 PM 06-17-2011
Scott just remember one board at a time. The next thing you know it will be done and youll be proud and on to the next project........ Staining. LOL enjoy man!
[Reply]
The Poet 02:00 PM 06-17-2011
A deck? Hell, Scott, you could build the whole damn ship with all that lumber! :-)

Best of luck with it, brother.
[Reply]
Remo 02:00 PM 06-17-2011
Good luck, it will look/be great when done :-) but I don't envy the building part :-)
[Reply]
Remo 02:02 PM 06-17-2011
p.s after the deck you need a fence, "good fences makes for good neighbors" or something like that, lol
[Reply]
Commander Quan 02:02 PM 06-17-2011
So when will you be having the first herf on it? :-)
[Reply]
shilala 02:02 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
Scott just remember one board at a time. The next thing you know it will be done and youll be proud and on to the next project........ Staining. LOL enjoy man!
I can stain this stuff immediately, so it'll be stained before the screws even cool down. :-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 02:04 PM 06-17-2011
It's going to look great, or build and Arc like Bruce Allmighty:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:30 PM 06-17-2011
Looks like you got some work to do brother. :-)
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 02:33 PM 06-17-2011
It looks like its going to be a nice deck Scott.
[Reply]
hotreds 02:39 PM 06-17-2011
Wow!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:39 PM 06-17-2011
What a great project! yeah, one board at a time.

There is something about working with wood that is so rewarding... for me, at least.
[Reply]
pektel 02:41 PM 06-17-2011
REminds me of that scene in Evan ALmighty when he gets the shipment to start building the ark lol.

Looks like a fun project! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 02:44 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
So when will you be having the first herf on it? :-)
Probably before it's even done. :-)
[Reply]
nofeardiver 02:46 PM 06-17-2011
very nice bro good luck...
[Reply]
Old Sailor 04:18 PM 06-17-2011
Wow, almost enough wood to build an Ark....just ask Al!!:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 04:23 PM 06-17-2011
Good luck Scott, Just think of smoking on it when you're done :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 04:33 PM 06-17-2011
I feel your pain brother. I am building a 12 x 16 shed. My pile was just a little smaller than yours!!!
[Reply]
forgop 04:49 PM 06-17-2011
I'm about 60% complete with a deck project myself. I went with TimberTech composite decking at $2/ft as I didn't want the hassle of maintaining the real stuff. I'm probably going to just wait until next year when I make some money again to put up the railings.
At least with my deck, I'm using the existing joists though.

But it was very wise of you to do this while you still had an empty lot to drive through next to you.
[Reply]
shilala 05:03 PM 06-17-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
I feel your pain brother. I am building a 12 x 16 shed. My pile was just a little smaller than yours!!!
I have to build a shed before Fall, Larry. That's easy. No 20' 2x12's in them. :-)
Originally Posted by forgop:
But it was very wise of you to do this while you still had an empty lot to drive through next to you.
That has been a HUGE help all along the way. I want to get everything done before they sell that lot. It'll save tons of pain, for sure.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up