Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>The Era of The Sweater Vest is over.
Eleven 07:37 AM 05-30-2011
So long Jim Tressel

Pretty much saw this coming, but it still kinda sucks.
[Reply]
forgop 07:46 AM 05-30-2011
Good riddance.

O$U president should resign as well for being a coward. While I don't like Indiana University (rivals), at least they had the cajones to fire Bob Knight with the understanding that he is not bigger than the university. The circumstances are completely different, but the O$U president made it clear Tressel was not going to be fired, despite lying to the NCAA.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:02 AM 05-30-2011
Sad all around.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:44 AM 05-30-2011
Peace and chicken grease!! :-)
[Reply]
OLS 09:07 AM 05-30-2011
Now maybe they can win the big one and we can see if it's just the weather down south or the coaching behind the sweater.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 10:11 AM 05-30-2011
I can't believe it took that long, but it was pretty evident that the AD and president weren't going to do the right thing. It will be interesting to see what the sanctions will be when the NCAA investigation is done. Sadly the big name players and the coach involved will be out of town and face no further problems. :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:47 AM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Now maybe they can win the big one and we can see if it's just the weather down south or the coaching behind the sweater.
We already have won the big one
[Reply]
chippewastud79 11:27 AM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
We already have won the big one
And Reggie Bush won a Heisman and a National Championship. But you won't find them at USC. :-)
[Reply]
muhren 11:47 AM 05-30-2011
As a Michigan fan (who has watched them lose too many years in a row) I'm not so sorry to see him go.

This does possibly help explain why I saw my neighbor (an OSU player a few years back...now in the pros) driving a new Buick while his mom and dad were still driving a beater truck and worn out SUV. :-)

Also, let the debate begin...if they have to vacate victories...do the teams they beat (while apparently cheating) get the Win, or does neither team get a win in the record books?? I just don't know how that works.

M
[Reply]
OLS 11:59 AM 05-30-2011
Which big one was that, Dan? I am not trying to be a smart-a$$, but my memory is foggy. All of the times I was
watching they got their butts handed to em by some SEC juggernaut. But I have to admit, I have a short memory.
And while they count in the record books, I do not mentally count anything that happened in the 80's and much of
the 90's. :-) I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention then.
[Reply]
elderboy02 01:01 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Which big one was that, Dan? I am not trying to be a smart-a$$, but my memory is foggy. All of the times I was
watching they got their butts handed to em by some SEC juggernaut. But I have to admit, I have a short memory.
And while they count in the record books, I do not mentally count anything that happened in the 80's and much of
the 90's. :-) I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention then.
You can't remember back to 2002?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a78W6n_vx8U

:-)
[Reply]
E.J. 01:45 PM 05-30-2011
Hate to see anyone lose their job, but as soon as he decided to let the Dirty Six play in the Sugar Bowl, I lost all respect for the guy. Just because the NCAA didn't suspend them for the bowl game, doesn't mean it wasn't the right thing to do.

He put winning above doing the right thing and it hurt him in my eyes then and cost him his job now. Karma
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:57 PM 05-30-2011
Since he was a cheat before coming to OSU, I don't understand this being a surprise to anyone. Like other scumbags, he will leave the school with many major violations and most likely ending up on years of probation while he goes and gets another job without any consequences except the stain of being a cheater and liar. But that won't deter anyone. Example: It always worked out well for that scumbag Lou Holtz.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 03:16 PM 05-30-2011
You can't remember back to 2002?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a78W6n_vx8U

:-)
Ah yes, Maurice Clarett, the pilar of the community who used to reside in prison and was found ineligible shortly and convienently after the season. But then again, OSU let him come back to school :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:12 AM 05-31-2011
Apparantly, at least 28 players sold memorabilia for tats in 2002. This will just get more messy as the days pass.
[Reply]
E.J. 08:26 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
This will just get more messy as the days pass.
Agree 100%..... Assume it will be USC like sanctions when the dust clears...
[Reply]
muhren 09:19 AM 05-31-2011
So, does anyone know how the records work if victories are vacated? i.e. does Michigan (or any team OSU beat) receive them as wins? i.e. the last 8 wins since 2002 will all be Michigan wins now??

We're talking about a LONG history of record keeping and I was just curious.

M
[Reply]
chippewastud79 01:54 PM 05-31-2011
The wins are vacated, basically the records would indicate as if the game was never played. Michigan, or any other team would not get the win. OSU's record would all become 0-0 and the titles (Big Ten and National) would be stricken from the record and all banners and advertising would need to be taken down. I wonder if this will end up costing Smith his Heisman Trophy, he was found to have recieved cash while he was a player, I wonder if they will find even more violations stemming from this investigation. :-)

This is definitely going to get worse before it gets better. This sounds like the tip of the iceberg as more reports come out. My new favorite is the report that shows Pryor getting 3 traffic tickets while in school, all in a different newer vehicle and all of them being registered to car dealerships or their employees. Also the shot of him leaving the OSU Football offices yesterday in a Nissan 370Z (that isn't registered to him) and speeding away whilst running a red light. Good move Pryor, try to have some tact as this seems to stem, atleast recently, straight from him. :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 02:41 PM 05-31-2011
:-) S--t is getting crazy :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 02:49 PM 05-31-2011
:-) S--t is getting crazy :-)
For a Homer, you sure are taking the news that your golden coach was a cheater and liar, and that all the wins, trophies and championships may be vacated and that they may be losing multiple scholarships and a 3+ year post-season ban, pretty well. Now thats funny :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up