Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Costco vs. Sam's Club
forgop 07:01 PM 04-21-2011
I"ve been a Sam's Club member for the past 15+ years and have been hearing great things about Costco. Only problem is that there's a Sam's Club 5 minutes from my house while Costco is more like 20-25 minutes. However, there's a Costco very near where I'm doing clinicals and going to school for the next year at least.

What would be my reason to join Costco?
[Reply]
pfm721 07:04 PM 04-21-2011
Costco is way better across the board. Selection of meat, produce, and frozen food is way better. We don't have a costco in gainesville, but when I visit my parents I always go and bring back several packages of salmon filets. The fish selection at our Sam's is terrible.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:07 PM 04-21-2011
I saved over $ 450 on tires alone for my Durango at Costco...that alone lured me in over 4 years ago. :-) :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 07:07 PM 04-21-2011
Been a member of Costco for years back when it was Price Club. Been in a Sam's Club and never been impressed. Have a Sam's Club 2 minutes from me and I drive 25 miles to the nearest Costco instead.

Go in and check it out, don't need a membershipt to look. :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:22 PM 04-21-2011
Much better food choices. They treat their employees much better. Overall, a little higher end selection. The "house" brand, Kirkland label stuff, is 95% of the time better than the name brand equivalents. Very high standards. I keep memberships to both also, as the time saved when you are next to one or the other is well worth the membership. Every day groceries? Either one, Sams with a slight edge there.
[Reply]
loki 07:23 PM 04-21-2011
i belong to both and prefer sams, but that could be the location i'm in
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:31 PM 04-21-2011
Their hot dogs and pizza that they serve. You don't need a card for those, but it's extra incentive to go there. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 07:33 PM 04-21-2011
I like Sams Club. Never been a costco fan. We did both for a few years.....never found too much at costco.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 07:39 PM 04-21-2011
Don't need a card to buy alcohol, they'll loose the alcohol liscense if denied.
[Reply]
E.J. 07:55 PM 04-21-2011
I am not sure the reasons for you, but for me....it is Costco and it isn't even close.... I have both within 4-5 miles.... In fact, multiple locations of both within the Valley.

I wish I had specific reasoning, but I really don't. Carried cards to both for a few years and then just dumped the Sam's card. I have been a few times since, never even thought about getting a card again.
[Reply]
Wanger 08:14 PM 04-21-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
Much better food choices. They treat their employees much better. Overall, a little higher end selection. The "house" brand, Kirkland label stuff, is 95% of the time better than the name brand equivalents. Very high standards. I keep memberships to both also, as the time saved when you are next to one or the other is well worth the membership. Every day groceries? Either one, Sams with a slight edge there.
What Pete said. In a lot of consumer magazines, the Kirkland (Costco) brand gets very good ratings. We used to have a Sam's membership, and won't go back. We've been very pleased with everything that we've found there. :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 08:20 PM 04-21-2011
i prefer Sams. Has more of the things I buy vs Costco. The Costco is across the street and Sams is 5 minutes away. Plus, Sams has gas and Costco doesn't
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 10:14 PM 04-21-2011
One other advantage to Costco is that they extend the warranty on TVs and computers to 2 years from date of purchase.

I have a 32" TV we bought for the bedroom in October of 2009. It took a dump last month, and the manufacturers warranty is long over. Costco took over and had me take it to a repair shop where it's currently sitting. So far they've replaced the motherboard, and now are ordering a power supply board for it. Costco is handling the repair, and calls me every couple of days with updates. They've been absolutely fantastic the way they've handled it. A big :-) to Costco.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 10:22 PM 04-21-2011
My sister is a manager at Sam's and while she'll say "shop Sam's" she readily admits that Costco has better quality produce, meats, food, and items in general. Price-wise I believe they're close, but Costco caters to an individual where Sam's caters to small businesses (i.e. bulk items and maybe not as high a quality to keep prices down).
[Reply]
bobarian 10:43 PM 04-21-2011
Great prices and assortments but neither is known for their customer service. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 06:07 AM 04-22-2011
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
i prefer Sams. Has more of the things I buy vs Costco. The Costco is across the street and Sams is 5 minutes away. Plus, Sams has gas and Costco doesn't
The Costco location right night to the school/hospital I'll be at ~ 3 times/week has a gas station. It's probably an individual location thing like Sams.
[Reply]
forgop 06:08 AM 04-22-2011
Thanks for the responses-I'm going to go check it out I guess. If I like what I see, I'll be carrying out some pork butts and a beef brisket today. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:25 AM 04-22-2011
No Costco within a 2 hour radius of my house. Sam's is about 30 min. away, so that's my preference. My preference is based entirely on location.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 06:30 AM 04-22-2011
Costco and I have a love/hate relationship, I love going there and my wallet hates me for it! I'd pick costco every time for selection and quality!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:33 AM 04-22-2011
Costco all the way!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up