Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>"V" Cutter vs regular straight cut
cmitch 07:28 PM 03-28-2011
A local bruddah uh de leef has me hooked on the "V" cuts. Usually, if I'm smoking a torpedo, I'll cut it first then apply the V cut. It seems to me it improves the overall pleasure of the smoke. Anyone else use these?
[Reply]
SteveH 07:39 PM 03-28-2011
I just picked up a Xikar VX cutter on Friday....It sure is 'easier' to use than a guillotine cutter - meaning that its much harder to mess up your stick by taking too much off.
As far as how I like it I can't really say yet. The cigar I was smoking had some construction issues; so I'll reserve judgment for a while. My friend however said that he liked the way that he was able to rest the stick on his tongue more; and there definitely seems to be less (or none) loose tobacco after the cut.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 07:45 PM 03-28-2011
I've had the VX for a while, it makes an effortless cut, it's my go-to cutter for just about everything I smoke
[Reply]
T.G 08:51 PM 03-28-2011
At one time, I went through a phase where I used V-cutters a lot, but now, I only use them occasionally, mostly on larger RG cigars to control the draw.
[Reply]
Stephen 05:32 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I've had the VX for a while, it makes an effortless cut, it's my go-to cutter for just about everything I smoke
:-)
[Reply]
CoreyD 06:37 AM 03-29-2011
Before using a punch that I do now when I can I used a cutter that had a metal plate on backside preventing me from cutting to deep and just took a lil off cap sometimes depending on the roll you needed to make 2 or 3 cuts especially on torpedoes but I really enjoy it as a noob cutter. Never used a v cut I don't think, or cigar scissors.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:40 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by CoreyD:
Before using a punch that I do now when I can I used a cutter that had a metal plate on backside preventing me from cutting to deep and just took a lil off cap sometimes depending on the roll you needed to make 2 or 3 cuts especially on torpedoes but I really enjoy it as a noob cutter. Never used a v cut I don't think, or cigar scissors.
Punctuation is your friend. :-)

Makes reading your posts easier.
[Reply]
Sled Dog 11:04 AM 03-29-2011
Love the V-cut.... use it almost exclusively on my cigars
[Reply]
Tazziedevil 10:30 PM 03-31-2011
I'm a fan of the V-cut. I go back to it a lot after straight cuts- I find it is cleaner and leaves fewer shreds of tobacco after cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Wolfgang 11:39 PM 03-31-2011
Im all about the pocket knife. Peel the cap and enjoy your smoke.
[Reply]
jsnake 07:45 AM 04-04-2011
I like the XIKAR VX
[Reply]
SteveH 12:13 PM 04-04-2011
2x. Now that I've had it for a week or so; I have to say that its much harder to screw up your cut....
[Reply]
Gophernut 02:10 PM 04-04-2011
Love the V cut, but don't have a home version. One of the reasons I love smoking at a B&M.
[Reply]
CoreyD 07:16 PM 04-04-2011
i have been using the punch that came with my lighter for non torpedos and I'm really enjoying that v.s a cut.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:49 PM 04-04-2011
I'm looking forward to picking up one of the Xikar V cutters after reading through this thread. Hell, I was looking forward to picking one up anyway.
[Reply]
cigarlvr 09:24 PM 04-04-2011
Been using the V cut on the Torpedos and sounded strange to me at first until you try it and forget it after you do that is the only way to smoke a torpedo. I used a boston cutter as most dont cut a deep enough cut. I have used the Wolf but like you have done needs to be cut first
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:35 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by cigarlvr:
Been using the V cut on the Torpedos and sounded strange to me at first until you try it and forget it after you do that is the only way to smoke a torpedo. I used a boston cutter as most dont cut a deep enough cut. I have used the Wolf but like you have done needs to be cut first
I tried a V cut on the top of torps a few time with a box cutter. I love the results!
[Reply]
smelly4tay 11:16 PM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by cigarlvr:
Got a 5-er of LFD Chisel and straight cut the first 2 and hated the draw. I tried a V-cut on the other 3 and :-)
[Reply]
tx_tuff 01:30 PM 04-05-2011
I use the V-Cut most of the time, but it's not because I love the cut, its because I love the cutter! Now the Xikar VX but before that was using the Wolf V-Cutter which uses the same blade. Best cutters as far as I'm concerned.
[Reply]
Mugen910 01:39 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Punctuation is your friend. :-)

Makes reading your posts easier.
I think V-cutters are pretty cool I use my palio a lot because v-cutters don't do well with smaller RG I'm not a fan of carrying around a V-cutter and Palio just to cut a cigar depending on size.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up