Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar shoplifter caught in the act.
MurphysLaw 07:48 AM 03-19-2011
Thursday night I made a stop at a Drew Estate event at a local B&M after seeing a special offer on facebook to get my hands on an unreleased cigar.
While I was sitting in the shop enjoying the JdN Antano 1970 they offered me from the event (drooling thinking about the "Ratzilla" sitting in my pocket), and having a conversation with a new friend. I overheard the owner of the shop cussing out an older guy, then directing one of the employees to call the cops. It turns out this guy was seen shoving some cigars into his pocket before he walked up to the register to pay for a couple other cigars.

Once the cops showed up they talked to the owner and went into the back to watch the surveillance tape (his actions were caught on camera as well). I'm not sure of the final outcome. I don't think the old guy was given a new pair of silver bracelets, which isn't unusual for a misdemeanor in this county, officers can give someone a court date instead of hauling someone off to jail for minor offenses. I did see a written trespass notice, so if the old guy comes back, he can go to jail for trespassing.

The whole thing really pi$$ed us off, but it was great watching the guy get caught, have to deal with the cops, and now to be banned from the shop. It was the only down point of an otherwise cool event, with lots of nice giveaways and Marvin Samel from DE singing with the Rod Stewart tribute band playing outside.
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:56 AM 03-19-2011
Sounds like an awesome event,sans the schmuck.
Kudos to the staff for being vigilant too,it's not a easy task in the midst of a well attended event. :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 08:01 AM 03-19-2011
Yup.

I got a summons with a court date.

I am banned for 6 months.

They never found the one that I placed in that special place.

Can't use that disguise again.:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:37 AM 03-19-2011
And people wonder why shop owners hover around a new customer. Good for them that they caught him. :-)
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 08:52 AM 03-19-2011
Good that the owner was paying attention!!! Nice caught!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:16 AM 03-19-2011
How about shut the cameras off and teach him a lesson? No need to call the police.
[Reply]
maninblack 09:25 AM 03-19-2011
Wow glad they caught him. That old fart must be really addicted to cigars if he felt the need to steal them. Schmuck is right. If they really wanted to punish him, DE should gave given him one of their Acid cigars. Or a Gurkha.
[Reply]
Stinky 09:27 AM 03-19-2011
recently I saw one a video on YouTube showing an older couple. . . man distracting the employee while the old woman slipped cigars ($700 worth) into the big bag (huge purse) on her shoulder.

IDEA:

Display a nice plaque that says:
"Security Video Streaming Live"
in smaller type it would say:
"When YOU entered this Cigar Store, you granted permission to publish videos of your shopping habits."

Bwahhha ha haa ha! ! ! Now how do you like me, you thief!???
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:31 AM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by maninblack:
Wow glad they caught him. That old fart must be really addicted to cigars if he felt the need to steal them.
He's just a crook, nothing more. It's not that he does not know right from wrong.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 11:02 AM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by Blueface:
They never found the one that I placed in that special place.
So now it's a maduro?:-)
[Reply]
JJG 11:29 AM 03-19-2011
Wow glad they caught him. That old fart must be really addicted to cigars if he felt the need to steal them.
That was my thought. What a sh*tty thing to do. I can understand a hungry person stealing food because they're starving. (not saying it's right, but I understand) This guy just thought he could get away with not paying for something that he didn't even need in the first place. plain and simple. :-)
[Reply]
AUguy 11:38 AM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
And people wonder why shop owners hover around a new customer. Good for them that they caught him. :-)

I understand that shop owners have a lot invested in their stock, but if they are so paranoid then they should put in a good camera system and keep an eye on you that way. It is a huge turn off for me when someone stands right behind me the whole time I am shopping. There are 2 B&Ms I stopped going to because of that.

I know it has to be tough catching people steal something that they can fit in their pockets, but give me a little space.
[Reply]
guado 02:30 PM 03-19-2011
Tony(issues) caught a guy locally. Funny part was the guy was a very wealthy surgeon in the area. When his wife caught wind of the incident by the police showing up to her house looking for him...well....lets just say she was PISSED.
[Reply]
GolfNut 02:40 PM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by JJG:
I can understand a hungry person stealing food because they're starving. (not saying it's right, but I understand)
Too many stray cats in the world to ever need to "steal" food. :-)
[Reply]
Chris. 03:57 PM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
:-)
[Reply]
whodeeni 04:02 PM 03-19-2011
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
Originally Posted by Chris.:
[Reply]
Bill86 04:06 PM 03-19-2011
If they really wanted to punish him, DE should gave given him one of their Acid cigars. Or a Gurkha.
This, they should have made him smoke the worst f**king cigar ever...and NUB IT! Or make him do like a cremosa, than gorilla finger then a dirty cat urine infused gurkha, nubbing all of them or facing prosecution.

And of course once he is done they should ask him if he wants anymore "free" cigars. Knowing full well they have plenty more ACIDS and Gurkhas.

I'll never understand why anyone would steal B&M sticks. I mean I get the prices suck but hey order online.
[Reply]
Isom-niac2 05:54 PM 03-19-2011
I'm not sure what laws are on the books there, but in Cali the severity of the crime, misdemeanor vs felony is based on the dollar amount of the items taken. In fact Jan 2011, petty theft jumped from $401 to $950 to make it a felony. Also, any prior thefts, parole or probation status would be considered before letting the guy go.

Sounds like he got the right cops (non-botl), cuz I would have booked him and put him in the cell with LeRoy!! :-)
[Reply]
thebayratt 07:28 PM 03-19-2011
Its a shame the guy did that.
People like that is why we have to pay higher and higher prices on stuff and employees can't get decent raises anymore.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
How about shut the cameras off and teach him a lesson? No need to call the police.
THATS RIGHT!!!
Give him two options.
1. We call the cops
2. We take you out back by the dumpster and rough you up.
Your choice!

Simple assult in my town is a $250 ticket... I think it would have been worth it. I can't stand a thief, no matter how much it is.
[Reply]
nick2021 08:17 PM 03-19-2011
Glad they caught him, hate thieves...especially for something like cigars!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up