Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Propane Patio Heaters- Affect Cigars?
parafumar 08:49 PM 11-16-2008
I am looking at a patio heater to make my smoking experience 'more stable' (shivering dislodges the ash too early).

Something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...H15&lpage=none

Question is - does the propane heat have any 'propane fumes' or other odors that would interfere with the cigar aroma / taste?
[Reply]
loki 08:50 PM 11-16-2008
we had one inside at tri-shields herf and there were no ill affects
[Reply]
pnoon 08:52 PM 11-16-2008
I use the smaller table top model with absolutely no issues.
[Reply]
smokin5 08:53 PM 11-16-2008
I've been using outdoor propane patio heaters for the past two years,
& I don't notice any bad effects
& I don't notice any bad effects.
notice any bad effects.
any bad effects.
effects.
:-)

Seriously, though, haven't noticed a thing.
[Reply]
jaycarla 08:59 PM 11-16-2008
Nothing bad, pull the trigger!
[Reply]
parafumar 09:03 PM 11-16-2008
I think I may, found another one locally for $129 - though it is a stainless finish and I prefer the darker color... but for the price it may force my hand.

As for the heat - I have zero experienve here- is it 'dry your eyeballs out' heat the whole radius? How close do you need to sit to get the heat?

Also, I have 3 kids, all small - does the base of these get hot to the touch?

Thanks all.

Smokin5 - you sure you are ok up there? :-)
[Reply]
Vitis 09:13 PM 11-16-2008
I use a little short one and it works great without odor etc. if I didn't have a wooden roof above, Id get one like you are looking at.

~Vitis
[Reply]
parafumar 09:16 PM 11-16-2008
that is another concern - I am going to cover the patio in the (hopefully) near future - though I plan to use the metal roofing panels here so I think I will be ok...
[Reply]
alley00p 10:25 PM 11-16-2008
I have an outside screened porch with plastic storms on the inside for the winter and I use 2 heaters - 1500 watt electric radiant heater that works great until the temps drop below 30f. Then I use a Mr Heater (Models MH12T & MH12TS - Single Tank-top Propane Heater w/Piezo Ignitor ) that puts out around 8000 to 14,000 btu using a single propane tank. This propane heater goes for $50 to $70 at Gander Mountain and other sporting goods stores. This tank-top heater does get hot in front, so you have to be careful if you have little ones around (I don't have that problem anymore here).

Using any propane heater requires some ventilation so you don't get carbon monoxide poisoning. My porch has an exhaust fan so there are no venting issues here.

Good luck with which ever one you choose.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:42 AM 11-17-2008
Guys, Please be careful when using propane heaters in an enclosed area. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real possibility when you do not have sufficient ventilation. Propane heaters are great when used outside, but electric is a better alternative in a garage or other enclosed room. :-)
[Reply]
papichulo 04:45 PM 11-17-2008
Good point on indoor use.
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:00 PM 11-17-2008
I use the Mr. Heater 3 burner on an open porch, but it doesn't have any smell. Since it sits on top of the propane tank, I wouldn't use it around young children or dogs. :-)
[Reply]
Tikihut27 07:32 PM 11-17-2008
I experimented with propane and electric heaters in my Florida room (screened-in porch- aka "Tiki Hut: The Home Version") and the Upstate NY winters were too much for them. I switched to an indoor kerosene heater and now sit out there in shorts and a t-shirt. The heaters are more expensive, but I have the heater to use not just there, but also in the main house in case of an emergency. Power outages are common in our area.

Kerosene can be hard to find, and if you are not burning properly, they can spit soot out, but I get more heat for the money this way.
[Reply]
SD Beerman 07:33 PM 11-17-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
likewise.:-)
[Reply]
livwire68 03:38 AM 11-18-2008
Go with this one from lowe's. Its what I got and love it.

In action

[Reply]
c2000 08:02 AM 11-18-2008
The local bar in town had one outside on their patio in a tent..Didn't do a thing as far as warming that tent area..I don't think they are good for our climate. It was about 5 degrees and windy..

Jerry in Minnesota.
[Reply]
rizzle 08:09 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Yep, I have one of those for the RARE occasion that it is too cold to sit outside without some heat. Works llike a champ. The lid reflects the heat down just where it needs to be and its very easy to move around and store.
[Reply]
MTB996 01:44 AM 11-19-2008
Unfortunately, unless it is calm (I mean zero wind) these tend to be useless IMO. I have one, and found the only way to use it to actually warm me up is in the garage (with the door open to vent).
[Reply]
Sr Mike 06:02 AM 11-19-2008
These actually do affect cigars a bit, it makes it a whole lot easier to smoke when it is cold out, thus making it a better experience. The S.H.I.T. crew sets these up when it is cold out and they work nicely, worth the money and do not causing any physical affects to the cigars.
[Reply]
GrtndpwrflOZ 06:17 AM 11-19-2008
I use a 33,000 BTU propane heater in the garage with the door open about 2.5" and it is great. It was really cold out last night and my garage was about 73 degrees. It's great. It makes all your cigars taste better in the winter. You will definately be able to appreciate them more.
I love my propane heater.

B
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up