Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Lighting With Cedar
kickerb 08:00 PM 02-22-2011
So tonight I tried lighting my cigar with a few strips of cedar. I have heard many people say this was a great way to light up. I have tried this before with no luck. I found it very hard to keep the cedar lit. Tonight it was great! I learned to burn the cedar on a pretty extreme angle. While doing this I was easily able to toast and light my cigar.

All in all, it was very relaxing to light me cigar this way. Anyhow, I was just curious...how many people light their cigars with cedar??? :-)
[Reply]
Goldie 08:19 PM 02-22-2011
I use my cheapo lighters to light my cigar, and that is, when my cheapo lighters work. Otherwise I don't make that big of a deal about how I light up (match, Bic, Xikar, cedar, etc).

If you are cool with lighting up your smoke with cedar, then more power to ya brother. Don't let clowns like me sway you.
[Reply]
md4958 08:22 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by kickerb:
So tonight I tried lighting my cigar with a few strips of cedar. I have heard many people say this was a great way to light up. I have tried this before with no luck. I found it very hard to keep the cedar lit. Tonight it was great! I learned to burn the cedar on a pretty extreme angle. While doing this I was easily able to toast and light my cigar.

All in all, it was very relaxing to light me cigar this way. Anyhow, I was just curious...how many people light their cigars with cedar??? :-)
I used to think of it as a "romantic" way to light a cigar when I first started smoking. However since I mostly smoke outdoors I tend to use a torch 99% of the time. I have ruined a couple wrappers, lighting with cedar, when the flame got to large.
[Reply]
kickerb 08:22 PM 02-22-2011
well, i dont see myself doing this everytime I smoke, but when I have time -i surely will :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:24 PM 02-22-2011
I tried it once and I was unable to master the "trick" to doing it right.
[Reply]
kickerb 08:32 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I tried it once and I was unable to master the "trick" to doing it right.
not sure it was a trick, but i just used strips that were about 1/4 inch wide, and about 5 inches long. once i lit the cedar, i tilted the strip downward at an angle so that the flame burned from bottom to top. this way it had more cedar to burn and I was able to maintain a consistent flame. took me 2 cedar strips to light. just my :-)
[Reply]
BTcigars 08:43 PM 02-22-2011
I certainly enjoy this lighting method but be careful!
[Reply]
Bill86 08:44 PM 02-22-2011
What cedar strips do you use? Like from the inside of tubos? Or the inserts in some CC cabs have those thicker cedar sheets. I always wondered.
[Reply]
kickerb 09:22 PM 02-22-2011
not sure where they came from, i assume they are just inserts in certain cigar boxes. every time i go to my local cigar shop that give me a few pieces. they are real thin. here is a pic....

[Reply]
kickerb 09:23 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
I certainly enjoy this lighting method but be careful!
? you mean not to burn myself? haha yeah I learned a long time ago with matches, im a pro now :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:35 PM 02-22-2011
They had cedar strips at the B&M I smoked at tonight. I went ahead with the torch as usual.
[Reply]
kickerb 09:45 PM 02-22-2011
i realize lighting with cedar isnt a new concept, just new to me. if you havent tired it, I would certainly give it a shot. it will certainly make you appreciate the simplicity of a nice torch lighter!
[Reply]
jsd 09:57 PM 02-22-2011
I've done it a few times when the cigar happens to be wrapped in cedar. I do prefer the torch to get a nice, even light though.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:03 PM 02-22-2011
I once tried to light a cigar stlll wrapped in cedar.

Yes, it was outside and dark.

Yes, I was drunk.

Really, really drunk.
[Reply]
markem 10:07 PM 02-22-2011
I can never taste a difference using cedar vs. using a torch. It may be because I only use Vector fuel or maybe because I have the palette of a Philistine, but there you have it.
[Reply]
kickerb 10:23 PM 02-22-2011
yeah i dont think that i noticed any extra taste from lighting with cedar, but im sure some do.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:31 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
I can never taste a difference using cedar vs. using a torch. It may be because I only use Vector fuel or maybe because I have the palette of a Philistine, but there you have it.
I'm sure that's it Mark :-)

:-)

:-)
[Reply]
thecatch83 11:30 PM 02-22-2011
Interesting approach.....I use the torch 99% of the time as well, or if I'm in a cigar lounge or indoors, I will use cigar matches.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:08 AM 02-23-2011
I use the Force.
[Reply]
Flynnster 12:12 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I use the Force.
Good to know I'm not the only one.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up