Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>DROID Cigar Apps? Any suggestions
Christiel49 08:45 AM 02-09-2011
I have looks several times on my Droid and don't see a cigar app that really interest me. Do any of y'all have any suggestions?

Kinda want to track what I have, what I smoke, my reviews, and general database of cigars out there.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:49 AM 02-09-2011
nothing like that, but check the "cigar cutter" from the Android market, it's free and funny
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:33 AM 02-09-2011
"Droid" is simply one of MANY devices that are running Android OS. You are looking for an Android App.

I am using RateMyCigar. You can import your cigar list if you have this in .CSV or .XLS format. They have been posting a number of updates as of late, adding more cigars, etc. This would be my recommendation.

Edit: RateMyCigar link
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:40 AM 02-09-2011
Just and honest question. Don't you find that entering all that information in your phone kinda takes away from the experience of your cigar? I'd think if you're newer into cigars and want to keep some record of what you've smoked, get a nice dossier and hand write information in it, it's relaxing, and you won't be one of those guys at the lounge smoking a cigar with your head buried in your phone. .02
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:59 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
Just and honest question. Don't you find that entering all that information in your phone kinda takes away from the experience of your cigar? I'd think if you're newer into cigars and want to keep some record of what you've smoked, get a nice dossier and hand write information in it, it's relaxing, and you won't be one of those guys at the lounge smoking a cigar with your head buried in your phone. .02
The only time I really enter anything into my phone is when I have purchased/received something. Other than this, I will scroll through my database to see what sounds good. When I select a stick, I hit the [-] button to reduce my stock.

Maybe I completely forget about this altogether down the road and just grab the next stick out of the humi...

Regarding your comment about relaxation and enjoying my cigar, I also like to track where I got the stick. I have received a lot of cigars from BOTL's here. I like to know when I am smoking something that was gifted to me. This is part of the reason why I am active on this site and also why I enjoy this hobby so much.

I can accomplish this with an app much easier.
:-)
[Reply]
Christiel49 10:08 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
The only time I really enter anything into my phone is when I have purchased/received something. Other than this, I will scroll through my database to see what sounds good. When I select a stick, I hit the [-] button to reduce my stock.

Maybe I completely forget about this altogether down the road and just grab the next stick out of the humi...

Regarding your comment about relaxation and enjoying my cigar, I also like to track where I got the stick. I have received a lot of cigars from BOTL's here. I like to know when I am smoking something that was gifted to me. This is part of the reason why I am active on this site and also why I enjoy this hobby so much.

I can accomplish this with an app much easier.
:-)
Both very good points guys. Not that I would have my nose in the phone while smoking. I would like to track which ones I have smoked. Since I am an accountant I tend to forget names and such!!!!

Zach, you have a great point in keeping the gifts tracked. I would like to remember who gifted what and thank them when it is enjoyed. The southerner in me I guess
[Reply]
nayslayer 10:09 AM 02-09-2011
Ratemycigar. Last few updates really improved things. You can take pic and send it directly to the app and enter info from dropdowns
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:12 AM 02-09-2011
Makes sense Zach. Years ago I too did an Excel file to keep track of my cigars too, I may have went overboard as I kept track of:

Item #
Brand
Vitola
Length
Ring
Wrapper
Binder
Filler
Qty
Cost per
Where Purchased/gifted

So yeah, I went through the same thing, maybe having it on my PC and not on my phone made it more difficult to keep track of. I just found it to much of a pain for what I got out of it.
[Reply]
Trent0341 10:29 AM 02-09-2011
I understand what your saying as far as tracking. I actually have a spread sheet that tracks inventory as well as numerous other things. I currently have it on excel but will probably put it on google docs soon so I can adjust things on the go. Google docs is stored "in the cloud" so no matter were you last adjusted it from or opened it it will be the same on all devices. If you haven't given google docs a try you might want to look into it as this may fill your need.

That being said the dossier/journal idea has always been something I've enjoyed doing. I have a small leather book and a nice pen that I enjoy jotting down my initial limited thoughts. It's just a small part of this hobby I enjoy:-)

[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:43 AM 02-09-2011
Makes sense Zach. Years ago I too did an Excel file to keep track of my cigars too, I may have went overboard as I kept track of:

Item #
Brand
Vitola
Length
Ring
Wrapper
Binder
Filler
Qty
Cost per
Where Purchased/gifted

So yeah, I went through the same thing, maybe having it on my PC and not on my phone made it more difficult to keep track of. I just found it to much of a pain for what I got out of it.
Before I found this app, I tried making a database and a simple form in google docs to enter in new cigars. It didn't work out so well. I started to give up on the project altogether. Then, I looked through the apps again and tried one out.

By the way, I sent an email to the creator of RateMyCigar this morning about adding the full Illusione line. I received an email back in about 20 or 30 minutes stating he would add them in the next release. Very cool. I think I will continue to send him some more suggestions as I come across them.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:47 AM 02-09-2011
Boy, we hijacked this thread, didn't we? :-) sorry about that.

I installed an app to back up my Android phone regularly (Lookout and Titanium Backup). This backs up my Cigar Database as well, so in the case my phone decides to go for a swim, I should be able to simply restore.

By the way, Dan, do you usually smoke in the babies room? :-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 10:53 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:

By the way, Dan, do you usually smoke in the babies room? :-)
Only when the baby is sleeping! :-)
[Reply]
Christiel49 10:56 AM 02-09-2011
I was gonna ask the same! nice pen

Thanks for the advice! I will try the app ratemycigar.
[Reply]
Trent0341 11:11 AM 02-09-2011
You guys don't smoke in the babies room?:-)

Just kidding. Actually thats in our living were I'm sitting right now. We just have a pac-n-play in our living room right now. I don't smoke at all in the house!
[Reply]
nayslayer 12:05 PM 11-15-2011
Perlman's Cigar Encyclopedia is a nice app to have for refrence. I rarely use ratemystogie. But i like using the reference material in the Encyclopedia.
[Reply]
irratebass 12:27 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Trent0341:
Either you have Humungous hands or those are some monster bands.

Have either of you tried Cigar Unlimited? I don't have the link, but it's on the Droid Marketplace, I really like it....I haven't tried the one you guys have though either, and I also use a notebook, mine says:

Date, username, (real name), bomb/trade/contest
then the sticks and if I have smoked them will rate them by star rating 5 being the best or little comments like (too drunk need to try again, too tight of a draw, relight problems)

I like the idea of putting the bands in your notebook, but would have to restart that if I went that route.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 11:27 PM 11-15-2011
A friend uses ratemycigar and likes it. I haven't been able to find a decent app for iPhone so I started using Evernote. It's a great app. I have to enter a bit more data than I would have liked, but the other features kind of make up for that. Particularly the sync to their servers which can be accessed from any device. It's really great. I have had some issues getting the photos to show up correctly though.
[Reply]
craiggory 03:22 PM 11-16-2011
I started a spreadsheet in Google Docs so I can access it from pretty much anywhere. Honestly, it does get a little tedious and I will sometimes go for awhile without entering anything. Mostly I just use it to input new arrivals. More recently I have printed out some paper forms to scribble and paste labels on.
[Reply]
Shawn hines 09:54 PM 11-25-2011
Originally Posted by Trent0341:
I understand what your saying as far as tracking. I actually have a spread sheet that tracks inventory as well as numerous other things. I currently have it on excel but will probably put it on google docs soon so I can adjust things on the go. Google docs is stored "in the cloud" so no matter were you last adjusted it from or opened it it will be the same on all devices. If you haven't given google docs a try you might want to look into it as this may fill your need.

That being said the dossier/journal idea has always been something I've enjoyed doing. I have a small leather book and a nice pen that I enjoy jotting down my initial limited thoughts. It's just a small part of this hobby I enjoy:-)

I like this idea, cause jotting down is something I like doing as well. Do you right about every cigar each time? Or if it is the same brand do you add to the same page?

Hope you don't mind but I maybe using this idea in the future.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 12:47 AM 11-26-2011
Rate my cigar, love it!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up