Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>I'm at the Crossroads-Help me Decide
Katmancross 10:40 AM 01-06-2011
I write crazy reviews for Famous under the pen name Katmancross.
They hired me because of my creativity and irreverent attitude. They've published 9 reviews since mid Oct.
Apparently, they've had complaints
Too sick
Offensive to women
One review had gore
One review mentioned hookers
No muslims (my next published review is about capturing bin Laden-he tires of being a terrorist on the run and becomes a stand up comic doing open mike nights-I haven't said a word about Muslims once in prior reviews)

Mind you, the guys have been cool and saw nothing wrong with my reviews prior to publishing. But now the new rules must change because of a few complaints.

Now, as I see it, cigar sites attract men. Adult men. Children don't read what I write. And I'm sure very few women read it.

They don't pay me a dime for these reviews. They send me a 5 pack for review purposes.
I do this for the freedom and creativity it allows. Anyone can write the 1-2-3 review. And Famous wanted to get away from that.

I'm at the crossroads. Do I buckle under and do what they ask...write for the masses? Or do I take my ball and go home?
Help me.
[Reply]
Mugen910 10:42 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Katmancross:
They hired me because of my creativity and irreverent attitude. They've published 9 reviews since mid Oct.
Too sick
Offensive to women
One review had gore
No muslims (my next published review is about capturing bin Laden-he tires of being a terrorist on the run and becomes a stand up comic doing open mike nights-I haven't said a word about Muslims once in prior reviews)

Mind you, the guys have been cool and saw nothing wrong with my reviews prior to publishing. But now the new rules must change because of a few complaints.

Now, as I see it, cigar sites attract men. Adult men. Children don't read what I write. And I'm sure very few women read it.

They don't pay me a dime for these reviews. They send me a 5 pack for review purposes.
I do this for the freedom and creativity it allows. Anyone can write the 1-2-3 review. And Famous wanted to get away from that.

I'm at the crossroads. Do I buckle under and do what they ask...write for the masses? Or do I take my ball and go home?
Help me.
:-)
[Reply]
BSB 10:42 AM 01-06-2011
F*ck'm!
[Reply]
massphatness 10:43 AM 01-06-2011
What do you want to do, Phillip? As you said, it's not a paid gig. More of a creative outlet and/or hobby. If I'm on my own dime, I tend to do what I like. If I'm getting paid, that's another story.
[Reply]
jledou 10:44 AM 01-06-2011
Money talks and BS walks. It's a business and they have to do what they have to do. You have to do what you have to do.
[Reply]
Ogre 10:44 AM 01-06-2011
I say, dont sell out. If you are not losing anything (like your livelihood) I would worry about it. What will be next?? Having to give good reviews to cigars they say??? Just go with your gut and be happy.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:48 AM 01-06-2011
Be true to thine self. :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 10:51 AM 01-06-2011
To Hell with knucklin' under. Start your own cigar blog and write reviews the way you want. I'm sure companies will send you plenty cigars to review.
[Reply]
Parshooter 10:53 AM 01-06-2011
First Amendment :-)
[Reply]
Katmancross 10:53 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
I say, dont sell out. If you are not losing anything (like your livelihood) I would worry about it. What will be next?? Having to give good reviews to cigars they say??? Just go with your gut and be happy.

Actually, that's coming up next
[Reply]
Katmancross 10:56 AM 01-06-2011
Where could I set up my own blog and how would I get people to notice it?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:57 AM 01-06-2011
Cool gig. I suppose you could keep doing what you do, and it's up to them to publish or not. Doesn't sound like you're under an obligation so I'm not sure I see why Famous would get too worked up about it.

Maybe you can capture all their corny suggestions & "offensive free" comments in one big tongue-in-cheek review as your next piece of work. :-)
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 10:59 AM 01-06-2011
I second it: Start your own blog. Reference the reviews they have already published.

The Constitution says nothing about protection from being offended, that's what the ON-OFF switch and channel changers are for!

Go for it, do your own thing! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:10 AM 01-06-2011
If you're still gonna enjoy doing it all watered down, keep doing it. If not, get on down the road.
I can see their standpoint, it's business and they gotta be PC if that's what they want to be. You can always blog and/or post your reviews here and other places if you so desire, so there's your outlet. You're going to reach a lot more people, too.
The way I see it, you can keep on doing what you enjoy, the way you want to enjoy it, and reach lots more people. You're not losing anything. :-)
[Reply]
Katmancross 11:12 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
If you're still gonna enjoy doing it all watered down, keep doing it. If not, get on down the road.
I can see their standpoint, it's business and they gotta be PC if that's what they want to be. You can always blog and/or post your reviews here and other places if you so desire, so there's your outlet. You're going to reach a lot more people, too.
The way I see it, you can keep on doing what you enjoy, the way you want to enjoy it, and reach lots more people. You're not losing anything. :-)
That's good advice and I'm seeing a pattern already.
Thanks
[Reply]
hscmit 11:27 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by BSB:
F*ck'm!
what he said
[Reply]
markem 11:37 AM 01-06-2011
Help me.
Their sandbox, your ball. You have to make the choice about that and whether or not you take direction from a bunch of anonymous strangers on a different cigar board.
[Reply]
Cattani 11:47 AM 01-06-2011
Too sick
Offensive to women
One review had gore

Help me.
As an aspiring writer myself, **** those guys. Don't turn into a sell out like so many other writers do! Man up my friend! (Esp. sine they don't pay you)
[Reply]
Katmancross 11:55 AM 01-06-2011
Thank you gentlemen for all of your excellent advice.
I've taken it all to heart so now all I have to do is think it through and make a decision.
They want me to review Ugly Coyotes next. A cheroot, like Backwoods, in an aluminum bag and correlate it to the cartoon character on the back.
I've got a gun, just no bullets.
[Reply]
Lear31MX 11:58 AM 01-06-2011
Do what makes you happy.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up