Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Tire mileage rant
forgop 11:41 AM 01-04-2011
Just over two years ago, I purchased a set of BF Goodrich tires for $800 that had an 80,000 mile rating. They're already shot after 34,000 miles. How in the hell do they come up with these ratings anyway?

I'm now waiting for a new set to be installed. I'm upgrading to Michelins this time. At least my warranty is knocking off half the price, but then I'm still paying the full cost for the certificates which brings the cost up to $525. Ouch.

At least I'll get a much smoother/quieter ride that I missed out on the last set.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 11:47 AM 01-04-2011
This oughtta tell you a lot about the mostly useless numbers located on tire sidewalls.

"However, tire manufacturers are not under any obligation to grade a tire based on the test results, except to say that they can not overstate the grade. This is enforced by NHTSA requiring documentation to justify any assignment of a grade on a tire."

An 800 wear tire doesn't necessarily mean 80,000 miles. It is just 800% better than the control tires during the test.

Those numbers are only valid in West Texas.. San Angelo to be exact. Everywhere else they will vary wildly.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 11:49 AM 01-04-2011
I'm happy if tires last me a year.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:53 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:

Wow, I would crap if my tires only lasted a year (depending on milage). My BFG All Terrains cost me $900. I try to baby them. Proper air pressure and rotation and I can get at least 50,000 out of them. These tires have no manufacturer milage rating though.
[Reply]
kgoings 11:56 AM 01-04-2011
Tirerack.com....you'll save some money.
[Reply]
pnoon 12:00 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
I guess it's not an issue if someone else is paying for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
markem 12:02 PM 01-04-2011
My tire shop tells me to estimate the tire will last half what the manufacturer claims. So far, they've been pretty spot on with that formula.
[Reply]
T.G 12:06 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Just over two years ago, I purchased a set of BF Goodrich tires for $800 that had an 80,000 mile rating. They're already shot after 34,000 miles. How in the hell do they come up with these ratings anyway?
IIRC - It's an extrapolated number. The tires are installed on a test vehicle and run for "X" miles , then wear is measured, from that, they come up with a number. So, unless you have that same vehicle, same driving conditions, same driving style, same loading conditions, it's meh.

At least you are getting a partial replacement coverage on the tread wear guarantee. For certain types of tires, they won't offer it.
[Reply]
shvictor 12:08 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
IIRC - It's an extrapolated number. The tires are installed on a test vehicle and run for "X" miles , then wear is measured, from that, they come up with a number. So, unless you have that same vehicle, same driving conditions, same driving style, same loading conditions, it's meh.

At least you should get a partial replacement coverage on the tread wear guarantee.
Thanks Cliff :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:10 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by shvictor:
Anytime Norm. :-)
[Reply]
aich75013 12:38 PM 01-04-2011
When I had my GT Mustang, my tires lasted less than 15K miles. They always wore out on the edges. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 12:52 PM 01-04-2011
This is the tire I went with that's evidently exclusive to discount tire. Smooth as can be and I'll never buy another BFG again.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele.../destiny-tires
[Reply]
Zeuceone 01:15 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Mr B:
Wow, I would crap if my tires only lasted a year (depending on milage). My BFG All Terrains cost me $900. I try to baby them. Proper air pressure and rotation and I can get at least 50,000 out of them. These tires have no manufacturer milage rating though.
Well I don't think it helps going to the dragway and on canyon runs on a regular basis. With this new set I have it will only be street and highway miles.

Originally Posted by pnoon:
I guess it's not an issue if someone else is paying for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would love to know how that feels.
[Reply]
kydsid 02:17 PM 01-04-2011
so many variables that everyone has good and bad about every brand. myself i shredded a set of 1000 buck michellins in less thn 10k miles. also shredded a set of goodyears in less than 5k miles, to be fair that was mostly the alcan though :-)

those michellins almost made me swear off the brand until my truck came with them oem. 25k miles in last 10 months and they are at 80 percent tread left.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BloodSpite 02:22 PM 01-04-2011
I buy the Goodyear Silent Armor (Tracker 2). I usually get 2 to 3 years out of them. I rotate them regularly and I drive about 23k per year. Not bad all said and told
[Reply]
icehog3 02:41 PM 01-04-2011
Got 50,000 miles out of my last set, I am 15,000 miles in on my Yokohamas.

:-) on tirerack.com, even if is just to use them as a negotiating point with your local dealer.
[Reply]
shilala 02:50 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by shvictor:
That made me lol. Clavin. :-)
All I know is that I have tires on my car, and I had to spend money I had saved for cigars. That's so painful that I just try not to think about it.
I put tires in the same file as gas. When it's time for more, I pay for more.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:17 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-) on tirerack.com, even if is just to use them as
a negotiating point with your local dealer.
That's what I do and I usually get the same or similar price at a little haggling as ordering from tirerack and installing at the tire place.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:22 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
That's what I do and I usually get the same or similar price at a little haggling as ordering from tirerack and installing at the tire place.
Last time I actually got Discount Tire to match the tirerack.com price without adding the delivery and installation charges...worth a try. :-)
[Reply]
J0eybb 03:30 PM 01-04-2011
At discount tire the price is negotioable. :-)

I replaced all four tires @ $200 a tire instead of $250, without a price match.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up