Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Looking for suggestions for a Christmas cigar
MurphysLaw 09:22 AM 12-24-2010
I have a buddy who offered to buy me a cigar for Christmas, and I'm looking for a suggestion or two of something new to try. I typically like full body smokes, but always am willing to go a little medium if the flavors are good enough to keep me interested. Some of my recent favorites have been Tatuaje's, Illusione, 13th Floor, DPG, Jamie Garcia, DE Liga Privada and the like.

I'm thinking about going for an Opus X, or Anejo Shark if I can fine one, but would like any suggestions for something new.
[Reply]
shilala 09:29 AM 12-24-2010
If you've not tried Anejo, any size is the right size.
A skinny Padron Anni is awesome, too. Or a fat one. They're just more expensive.
[Reply]
guado 09:32 AM 12-24-2010
Punch Platino
[Reply]
T.G 09:43 AM 12-24-2010
I don't know anything about the 13th Floor cigars, but every other cigar you listed is either a Nicaraguan puro or predominately Nicaraguan tobacco and all of their profiles share many common traits. Such being, I think you might find the Opus X to be a letdown at this stage, the Anejo Shark or 55 might be a better choice if you're going to go Fuente / Dominican, but, I think you would find a Padron 1926 Maduro to be much more to your liking.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:44 AM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
A skinny Padron Anni is awesome, too. Or a fat one. They're just more expensive.
Came here to recommend the same thing. This year's release of Anejo's should be on your B&M shelves now. I picked up two 60s yesterday (for my wife to give me :-)) Good luck!
[Reply]
pektel 10:13 AM 12-24-2010
Do they carry viaje holiday blend? I'd get that one... Petit Robusto maybe.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:26 AM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
Do they carry viaje holiday blend? I'd get that one... Petit Robusto maybe.
:-) Hell...even the torpedo. GREAT STICK!! :-) :-) Definetly full bodied.
[Reply]
big a 10:38 AM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
:-)
I just had an anejo (shark) and it was very good. Hoping to have a padron anni over the weekend. These are 2 of my go to sticks when I want something nice. Cant go wrong with either of these. The padrons are much easier to find IMO.
[Reply]
Brad 10:38 AM 12-24-2010
I am going with a Padron Family Reserve 46th Maduro.

It's Christmas, go with something high end. Opus, if you can find them locally, or a high end Padron IMO.
[Reply]
MarioF 11:12 AM 12-24-2010
Any of the Padron 1926's, in a maduro, Awesome smoke!!
[Reply]
STEVE S 11:20 AM 12-24-2010
Any Padron family reserve is good.
[Reply]
longknocker 11:26 AM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by STEVE S:
Any Padron family reserve is good.
:-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 11:37 AM 12-24-2010
I haven't had the Padron maduro, that sounds like a good choice if I can find one. No Viaje retailers in south Florida, so I doubt I'll be able to find one of those.
[Reply]
T.G 11:44 AM 12-24-2010
Don't confuse the regular Padron Maduros (2000, 3000, 4000, etc) with the various Padron Anniversary Maduros that everyone in this thread is talking about. Worlds of difference.
[Reply]
STEVE S 11:50 AM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I haven't had the Padron maduro, that sounds like a good choice if I can find one. No Viaje retailers in south Florida, so I doubt I'll be able to find one of those.
Smoke Inn West Palm will have them, but you will have to hurry to get there before they close today.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 12:12 PM 12-24-2010
I'll be down visiting this friend in Miami on Sunday, not sure what shop we'll end up going to down there, I'll keep my eyes open for the Padron anni maduro and the Anejo, still tempted by the Opus X as well.
[Reply]
MiamiE 12:19 PM 12-24-2010
What shop Brian? Maybe I can swing by.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:26 PM 12-24-2010
I agree with the above, Opus X bought from a local and nearly fresh :-). Padron's a great choice :-)
[Reply]
quantim0 12:31 PM 12-24-2010
I'm lighting up a Padron 80th, among others.
[Reply]
shilala 12:35 PM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I'll be down visiting this friend in Miami on Sunday, not sure what shop we'll end up going to down there, I'll keep my eyes open for the Padron anni maduro and the Anejo, still tempted by the Opus X as well.
Brian, what Adam said up there is a biggie. While everything in this thread that's been suggested goes to your taste, Opus does not. I'm not at all saying "don't try Opus", because you should. It just doesnt fall in your taste profile (from what you mentioned), and you may not like it. I personally don't care for Opus, although I enjoy lots of Dominican Puros.
The guys suggested lots of Nicaraguan Puro maduros, which is what I like. I think most guys do, they're really a "can't miss" smoke.
If you can't find the Anejo or the Padron Anniversary sticks, the Padron maduro thousand (x000) series is especially good and very affordable, meaning you're very likely to enjoy any of that series, and they're widely available.
The only reason I blathered on is because I don't want you to choose an Opus as your special stick and be let down. I think it'd be best to try it another time, you may well love it, as most guys do. The odds are stacked in the favor of the other sticks the guys mentioned, though.
I hope your quest goes well, and I sure hope you score something you like!!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up