Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Engagement Rings??
kenstogie 09:34 AM 12-22-2010
I believe that I may be purchasing an engagement ring in the future ( 6 months or soo) but where to get it?

I have been to a couple of Jewelers and maybe I need to earn more or maybe they are overpriced too.

Are there reputable online options maybe? Not that I want to be "cheap" of all times now is not the time to be frugal, but I do want to get the best possible ring I could afford. :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 09:37 AM 12-22-2010
I'll tell you where NOT get it: Zales.
[Reply]
OnlyDryReds 09:39 AM 12-22-2010
One thing to keep in mind, as I know from exp this last year, make sure you can get a wedding band to match, or match close, we were eng. a cpl of years, and when we went to get bands, we had a tough time getting one to match her eng. ring..... ( BTW I bought mine from Gordon's Jewlers, and they sometimes have decent sales on clearance items on line, as I have purchased there before. )
[Reply]
MiamiE 09:39 AM 12-22-2010
Zales is not good! Check Blue Nile to piece the ring together.
[Reply]
Blueface 09:39 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
I believe that I may be purchasing an engagement ring in the future ( 6 months or soo) but where to get it?

I have been to a couple of Jewelers and maybe I need to earn more or maybe they are overpriced too.

Are there reputable online options maybe? Not that I want to be "cheap" of all times now is not the time to be frugal, but I do want to get the best possible ring I could afford. :-)
Buying diamonds is a tough experience as you can be so easily taken.

Only thing I will offer is make sure you compare apples to apples.
Price based on four C's.
Carat
Clarity
Cut
Color

Make sure all are comparable for price comparison.

The more the carat, the more the cost.
The better the clarity, as you get less imperfections, which all diamonds will have, the more the cost.
The closer you get to the beginning of the alphabet in color, the more it will cost. The closer you head to the end, the cheaper.
Lastly, some cuts are clearly more money due to difficulty in achieving it.

One last tip that most don't know about diamonds v. cubic zirconia fakes.
If you draw a line on a piece of paper and place the diamond on the line, a true diamond will not let you make out the line due to the refractions within.
A diamond zirconia will let you see the line clearly.

Good luck and remember, after the engagement ring, comes the wedding ring, then the suffering.:-)
[Reply]
forgop 09:39 AM 12-22-2010
Do not buy from any chain store at a mall.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:42 AM 12-22-2010
Is she stuck on a diamond? Many women are not. Sapphires are a great alternate and not a “compromise” stone either; just different. You can get a lot more bling and still have an heirloom piece for an affordable price. Sapphire also has history in being an engagement ring.

There are some respected web dealers like Blue Nile and I am sure several others worldwide. Belgium and Israel is full diamond venders at competitive prices.
[Reply]
landhoney 09:44 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
Do not buy from any chain store at a mall.
What about Tiffany's? :-)

Seriously though, wife wanted Tiffany's (they have a style/setting she liked that was pretty unique) so that is what she got, and it was in a mall. :-)

Short of that, I would have gone with Blue Nile, no personal experience as I have only had to make this giant purchase once, but others I know have used them and were happy.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:45 AM 12-22-2010
The second time around :-) I went local. Great small jeweler, came highly recommended by a few friends in the area. Probably paid "retail" for it, but I've been happy with it for the past 8 years. They clean and inspect the ring every year for free, too.

I suppose you could pick out a stone on-line and have it set, but for the money you'll be spending (I assume) I'd think you'd want to actually see what you were getting before you put down the cash.

Good luck!
[Reply]
MiamiE 09:45 AM 12-22-2010
I am happy Seth. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 09:47 AM 12-22-2010
I will agree with the above, you will pay a little more for a ring from a local Jeweler but the piece of mind will be worth it.

We had my wife's engagement ring made from a ring that belonged to her grandmother, the Jeweler used that stone and also melted down a ring that belonged to my grandmother and combined it all together in a new setting. It's really special for us, a combining of our families...I'm rambling...really my point is don't discount the value of having something made by a true artisan that is special for you over saving a couple hundred bucks and getting some mass-produced off the shelf ring from the mall.

I also wanted to add that the ring immediately appraised for more than we paid to have it done so it was well worth it.
[Reply]
Eleven 09:48 AM 12-22-2010
I make jewelry for a living. The only retail chain I would recommend is Helzberg.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I will help as much as I can, up to and including making custom rings for you and your bride.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:48 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
I'll tell you where NOT get it: Zales.
:-)

If you have a Barmakian's near you, go for it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:51 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
What about Tiffany's? :-)

Seriously though, wife wanted Tiffany's (they have a style/setting she liked that was pretty unique) so that is what she got, and it was in a mall. :-)
Tiffany's does have products at different price points and is a noted jeweler. The most heirloom bang for the buck in jewelry is with note Jewelers like Tiffany, Cartier, Van Cleef, Chopard...

We are looking at a Wellendorf wedding band set instead of engagement ring and wedding bands... Just get a wedding band set and leave at that.

We also like the Chrome Hearts wedding band set, but there's something about Wellendorf is so cool.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:56 AM 12-22-2010
Find the Rapaport online, it will give you the best idea of what a diamond should cost. It is the industry standard for pricing and updates quarterly I believe. It isn't meant to be public, but there are certain sites out there who will have a copy, even if it is an old one.

Personally, I buy diamonds from a distributor, above a 'wholesaler', 'dealer' or individual store. Diamonds, like any item go up in price the further they travel. The best bet is finding a distributor who gets the diamonds straight from New York (point of entry for all diamonds). You will likely have to pay in cash or in full before you can take the finished product.

Avoid online jewelers like Blue Nile. They loosely group their diamonds into far more broad ranges than a jeweler would. They buy diamonds in bulk that are all 'similar' to the type that they are selling, they could be anywhere from 2-4 steps off of what you think you are buying. You could end up paying $1000 for a diamond that was supposed to be a certain weight, color and clarity but they send you a diamond that was close enough to the untrainned eye but ends up being worth $800 when appraised.

Know what you are looking at, learn the 4 C's before you go, this will also help with the Rapaport. Personally, buying a loose diamond and having it set is far more personal than buying a completed ring that anyone can buy. Always ask to use the jewelers magnifier to examine the diamond yourself. A good jeweler will point out the flaws in the diamond under the glass for you, this is so you can realize why the diamond was rated the way it was.

For metals, if you are going with a white/silver colored metal, I would recomend paladium over platinum and white gold. Paladium is a precious metal that is slightly more expensive than white gold but far less than platinum. White gold is essentially bleached gold and will yellow over time and need to be redone to return to its 'white' color. Platinum is far more expensive but also far more labor intensive, it scratches far too easy and muct be buffed out periodically. Paladium is brighter, more scratch reistant and whiter than both the other two. For the price, I don't think you can beat the look.

Have an idea what type of ring she would like: solitare vs. three stone, plain band vs. design, square cut vs. round cut, etc. If you have a basic idea, you should be able to customize a ring that she will love.

Best of luck with the search. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:59 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
For metals, if you are going with a white/silver colored metal, I would recomend paladium over platinum and white gold. Paladium is a precious metal that is slightly more expensive than white gold but far less than platinum.
Paladium is really cool. Good tip!
[Reply]
awsmith4 09:59 AM 12-22-2010
While there are many "better" jewelers, I went to Jared and when I got the ring I also got there extended service plan which has proved really useful as they routinely clean her ring and check the setting to make sure it is sturdy. The one I bought is white gold so they also add more rhodium any time it starts to yellow. The purchase was 8 years ago and the service is still as good as it was when we first purchased.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:02 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
While there are many "better" jewelers, I went to Jared and when I got the ring I also got there extended service plan which has proved really useful as they routinely clean her ring and check the setting to make sure it is sturdy. The one I bought is white gold so they also add more rhodium any time it starts to yellow. The purchase was 8 years ago and the service is still as good as it was when we first purchased.
He went to Jared!
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:03 AM 12-22-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
He went to Jared!
I laugh at that commercial, it wasn't their slogan when I went, but yes "I went to Jared"
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:20 AM 12-22-2010
Ken, I thought you learned your lesson. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up