Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Aged DPG's or Tat's
wayner123 09:15 AM 12-20-2010
After reading a review of an aged DPG Invictos I wondered how many of us still have some of the old band DPG's laying around, and how they are smoking now. Many times aged Habanos are discussed, but not so much aged NC's.

When these were first getting talked about, people wondered how they would be with some age on them. I think at 3 years we can start the discussion anew if some of you out there have these.

I personally still have a few old band DPG Blue Generoso's (Toro sized) and some of the Original release JJ Maduro's. I find that the initial Pepin spice blast is still there, but the flavors have melded very nicely together and are more refined.

I'd love to hear your takes and experiences with these cigars now that some time has gone by.
[Reply]
Whee 09:18 AM 12-20-2010
I have some of the Black Labels that have a little over three years on them. They definitely have mellowed, in a good way.

It was one of the first cigars I smoked, and that "blast" was overpowering.

Now, you can enjoy the other flavors in the stick, and still get a little of the pepper associated with this line.

:-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:30 AM 12-20-2010
I have half a box of very yellow cello original band DPG Blues, they are wonderful.
[Reply]
E.J. 09:45 AM 12-20-2010
Not sure if they would qualify, but I have had a few DPG El Centurion's recently that were fanfreakingtastic....

I never had one back when they were released, so have no comparison to how they aged....
[Reply]
wayner123 09:53 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
I have half a box of very yellow cello original band DPG Blues, they are wonderful.
This is something that I have noticed as well. The cello on these older DPG's are more yellow than my other aged NC's.
[Reply]
Ismith75 10:39 AM 12-20-2010
Had some Tat RC184's from 07 that have smoked wonderfully in the last two month. I've also got 2 or 3 Noella Reserves from 06 that are also very good.
[Reply]
McSmokey 10:40 AM 12-20-2010
I have half a box of the Blue bands from either '04 or '05 box actually has a date stamp on it, and they are smoking fantastically right now.
[Reply]
e-man67 10:42 AM 12-20-2010
I guess I am in the minority here b/c I prefer fresh DPG's and Tats to those with age. To me they lose their spicy character which is why I buy them in the first place.
[Reply]
Mr B 10:45 AM 12-20-2010
La Riqueza with 2+ years on it was fantastic.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:10 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by e-man67:
I guess I am in the minority here b/c I prefer fresh DPG's and Tats to those with age. To me they lose their spicy character which is why I buy them in the first place.
I am not saying they are better, just different. I prefer fresh cigars in almost every instance. I posted the thread in order to see what others are experiencing now that these DPG and Tat's have had time to age a bit. One of the big questions that kept coming up a few years back is if these power house type cigars would age well.
[Reply]
stearns 11:12 AM 12-20-2010
05 blue invictos... too good, im afraid ill be out of them soon

stearns
[Reply]
wayner123 11:14 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by McSmokey:
I have half a box of the Blue bands from either '04 or '05 box actually has a date stamp on it, and they are smoking fantastically right now.
Do yours have cello?
[Reply]
rizzle 09:35 AM 12-21-2010
Kidding me, bro? I've still got some of the old blues, blacks, JJ's, and JJ maddies in the humi. Over the last couple of weeks had one of the blues and one of the blacks and they are so much better than when I first acquired them. Smooth, sweet, flavorful, and balanced. Age does wonders for them in my opinion.

:-):-)
[Reply]
scoot 10:48 AM 12-21-2010
I just picked up a box of Padilla Miami's from 2007. I never had one fresh but they are damn good right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
tx_tuff 01:20 PM 12-21-2010
I think most stronger body NCs age and smoke well, but I have had some VSG that totally lose their flavor after 3 plus years. I still have some of the original release 601 Greens left (3 plus years) which are made by Pepin and they are great!
[Reply]
joetownhound 07:10 AM 01-01-2011
bump
[Reply]
Bunker 09:46 AM 01-01-2011
My favorites out of the aged sampler I got from Gator were the the JJ and the Legend. The Legend was better than some of the Tats I have smoked.
[Reply]
Noodles 09:51 AM 01-01-2011
Originally Posted by McSmokey:
I think DPG blue came much a little bit later than 05.
[Reply]
boom 11:02 AM 01-01-2011
just wait till the cello turns yellow...and DPG's are amazing...
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 12:20 PM 01-01-2011
I still have two or three sizes of the old band Blue Labels laying around. Unfortunately they're all mixed in with at least 150 others in my "NC bulk storage" humidor. I don't honestly know what's in there. It's where box remnants have been tossed for years now, and they aren't in trays. Just a big ol' mess of cigars.

I smoked an Imperiales about a month ago that I spotted near the top of the pile when I was recharging the Oasis. A few years did it some good, as the sharpness they initially had is more muted now. I picked up a distinct menthol taste. That was a characteristic they sometimes displayed fresh, but it seemed more pronounced now. Based on that one example, I'd say time is being kind to these.

Personally I've found cigars change with time regardless of whether they happen to be CC or NC. Some for the better, some not. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up