Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Whats for Christmas dinner?
jonumberone 08:44 AM 12-18-2010
I'm done with the kids table! :-)

After years of uncomfortable seating arrangements, I decided to break from tradition and host Christmas dinner. It didn't go over well, but I used what leverage I had and ultimately won out.

So It's head of the table for me!
Unfortunately now I have to feed the savages in my family and the In-law's too.

Thinking about Beef Wellington and a fried turkey.

What is everybody else cooking?
Looking for suggestions!
[Reply]
Gophernut 08:52 AM 12-18-2010
Christmas day everyone brings a couple of appetizers to share, and we graze all day! Usually about 3-4 things wrapped in bacon. Good times!
[Reply]
Ogre 08:52 AM 12-18-2010
Dom, just order Chinese take out.:-)
[Reply]
acruce 09:02 AM 12-18-2010
Prime Rib is the main course
[Reply]
McSmokey 09:06 AM 12-18-2010
Prime rib and fried turkey
[Reply]
Ogre 09:08 AM 12-18-2010
ok, being serious now. IF I dont have to work, we will be going to Leighs mothers house for dinner. I believe it will be a traditional. I am looking forward to it.
[Reply]
marge796 09:10 AM 12-18-2010
Turkey with all the trimmings.

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:13 AM 12-18-2010
Gotta have ham for X-Mas dinner.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:19 AM 12-18-2010
To keep everybody happy, I suggest - Beanie/Weenie (that pork and beans with cut up hot dogs - or you can splurge and put in polish sausage) and Macaroni & Cheeseburger (brown some ground beef and put it into some mac & cheese).

Of course, if that doesn't suit, the Beef Wellington sounds like an acceptable downgrade.
[Reply]
68TriShield 09:21 AM 12-18-2010
Usually we do a whole beef tenderloin.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 09:23 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
+1

ours will be free this year as the owner of my company is getting everyone a ham. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 09:37 AM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
To keep everybody happy, I suggest - Beanie/Weenie (that pork and beans with cut up hot dogs - or you can splurge and put in polish sausage) and Macaroni & Cheeseburger (brown some ground beef and put it into some mac & cheese).

Of course, if that doesn't suit, the Beef Wellington sounds like an acceptable downgrade.
OK, I apologize for the humor.

Remember that Christmas is about who's there. Everybody tries to put on the dog to impress when they host a dinner, don't do that, just have fun. If there are children there, dont forget them in the menu.

I like the fried turkey idea. How about throwing a prime rib on the grill (rub it with a mixture made of fresh crushed garlic, pepper, and onion powder instead of the beef wellington, it is less hassle and will be appreciated just as much. For a side dish, there is one that is always a crowd pleaser - throw some french cut green beans, a can of mushroom soup, and a pouch of onion soup mix together and in a casserole dish - sprinkle to top liberally with French's fried onions and bake. If you make up a gravy from the drippings, you can put that over some riced potatoes, a novel alternative to mashed potatoes and truly less work, and the soak up more gravy.

Just some ideas - as you requested.

Have a great Christmas.
[Reply]
Lumpold 09:51 AM 12-18-2010
This year Christmas lunch is:

Prawn/Shrimp Cocktail

Roast Goose
Beef Sirloin Roast
Roast Potatoes
Other Assorted Roast Veg
Runner Beans
Pigs in Blankets
More Pigs in Blankets
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:54 AM 12-18-2010
The Prime rib sounds like a viable option.
Ham isn't doable as none of my Family besides me and the wife will eat it.
I'm still locked into our traditional Italian Chistmas eve which is all fish, so that limits my options.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:14 AM 12-18-2010
2 nice size Tri-Tips with different rubs on each, that will be marinating in the frig a couple of days before Xmas..

drippings for gravy

and a Ceasar salad

No you don't:-)
[Reply]
maninblack 07:55 PM 12-18-2010
Turkey, ham and all the trimmings at my house. But beanie weinies and Mac and cheese would work also.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:22 PM 12-18-2010
Standing rib roast, maple glazed ham, green beans, smashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding, carrots and peas, mixed appetizers and desserts and of course some nice liquid in the glasses.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:24 PM 12-18-2010
Indeed, definitely will have ham. Not sure what else ...yet. I mean the usual mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing etc etc.
[Reply]
96Brigadier 12:30 PM 12-19-2010
My in-laws are Danish, so Christmas Eve is traditional Danish fair. Christmas day we is what I'm used to - Turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, corn, etc.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:45 PM 12-19-2010
For us, Christmas Eve is the big family dinner.

Traditional for most Cubans is pork.
May not do a whole pig this year if group is small. May go with a leg instead.

To that, rice and black beans.

To that, add ripe fried plantains and yuca con mojo.

Wine, bread and butter and we have a feast.

On Christmas Day, plenty of leftover pig to enjoy.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up