Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor humidification question
CRIMPS 09:57 AM 12-15-2010
I have a 250 count humidor in which I control rh using Heartfelt beads. My problem is that I am having a hard time keeping the humidity at 65%, it seems steady right now at 58 - 60%. I suspect the seal just isn't great, which I can fix easily enough.

This humidor is absolutely packed. I, literally, cannot fit any more cigars in the humidor and have to be careful closing the humidor so I don't damage any cigars. I will be remedying this soon enough. Until I have more space, though, would this also affect the rh?
[Reply]
Ogre 10:00 AM 12-15-2010
Is the humidor a glass top or solid?? I ran into a seal problem with the glass on one I had. It was recommended to me to use a flashlight. Empty your box, put a flashlight inside and see if any light shows trough the lid seal.
[Reply]
shilala 10:01 AM 12-15-2010
You're right on top of it, Zach. It appears you just have a marginally leaky seal. Fix her up and you'll be good to go.
[Reply]
neoflex 10:09 AM 12-15-2010
Just throwing this out there for food for thought but being we are in the cold season and if your running forced heat that can also be attributing to your lower Rh. I find in my cabinet that I use an Oasis I need to set the preset to a higher setting to keep the Rh at the same level that I would normally have it in the warmer months. Even than it is sometimes a challenge and the best description of my cabinet is 100lbs or crap in a 10lb bag. All my other humis are run lower Rh's this time of year also and I find I am refilling my beads more often to boot. I would maybe try using some higher Rh beads if you want it higher first before driving yourself nuts about the seal just given the time of year.
[Reply]
Ogre 10:27 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Just throwing this out there for food for thought but being we are in the cold season and if your running forced heat that can also be attributing to your lower Rh. I find in my cabinet that I use an Oasis I need to set the preset to a higher setting to keep the Rh at the same level that I would normally have it in the warmer months. Even than it is sometimes a challenge and the best description of my cabinet is 100lbs or crap in a 10lb bag. All my other humis are run lower Rh's this time of year also and I find I am refilling my beads more often to boot. I would maybe try using some higher Rh beads if you want it higher first before driving yourself nuts about the seal just given the time of year.
True, I didnt even think about that. My Rh has been down a couple of points, but not enough to be worried about. Will have to remember that.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:27 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. YES, we made it to December before we turned on the heat. So, for the next few months, it is pretty dry in my house.

I will think about the higher rh beads in the future. Until then, I think I will find some weather stripping.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:28 AM 12-15-2010
Oh, and this is a closed top, not a glass top. So, I still think this is more of an issue with a leaky closure.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:09 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
Is the humidor a glass top or solid?? I ran into a seal problem with the glass on one I had. It was recommended to me to use a flashlight. Empty your box, put a flashlight inside and see if any light shows trough the lid seal.
WOW that's an awesome idea, time to break out my flashlight and see if my desktop being leaky is the problem.
[Reply]
pektel 05:12 PM 12-15-2010
I had about the same issue. I reintroduced a credo into the humi. Now I'm at a constant 65-67%.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ajacobs 05:17 PM 12-15-2010
Also have you calibrated your hydro lately?
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:48 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by ajacobs:
Also have you calibrated your hydro lately?
Yep. It seems to be accurate.
[Reply]
hscmit 08:56 AM 12-16-2010
winter is always harder on the rh. Gotta refill humidity devices twice as often
[Reply]
pektel 09:08 AM 12-16-2010
I'm tellin ya, just throw a credo in there. Slowly releases the extra humidity you need in the winter.

Although, I'm using HCM beads. Maybe heartfelt ones react different. Since you don't add water to the hcm beads direct, I just add more humidity to the entire humi with the beads still in it.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 12:27 PM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
I'm tellin ya, just throw a credo in there. Slowly releases the extra humidity you need in the winter.

Although, I'm using HCM beads. Maybe heartfelt ones react different. Since you don't add water to the hcm beads direct, I just add more humidity to the entire humi with the beads still in it.
Im sorry. A credo? :-)
[Reply]
pektel 12:32 PM 12-16-2010
You know, the cheap humidification device that comes with a humi... either round or rectangle, green foam on the inside of it. Normally attaches magnetically to the inside of the top of the humi. Add distilled water to it.

Like this:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...&cat=10&page=5
[Reply]
CRIMPS 12:38 PM 12-16-2010
ahh, ok. I guess I didn't realize that is what they were called. Yeah, I may add a brick for the extra humidity

Thanks
[Reply]
pektel 12:41 PM 12-16-2010
Just figured I'd let you know what worked for me :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:11 PM 12-16-2010
How are they smoking at this humidity?
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 01:18 PM 12-16-2010
This isn't a method that many use. The humidity in my humidors takes a dive in the winter because my house is dry from the heat. I buy 12 of the 69% Boveda humidity packs every winter to "supplement" my beads. This tends to work great for the 3 months that the packs last. My Vinodor doesn't need any help at all. Stays at 65% all the time.

MCS
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:55 PM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
How are they smoking at this humidity?
Honestly, they are smoking well. However, they haven't been at this humidity for very long and most are in either cellophane or in finger bags. I have very few nude sticks. So, this could change in time.

Would I really notice much of a difference if the humidity stayed down for an extended period of time? Probably not.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up