Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Distilled Water
WaxingMoon 09:23 AM 12-06-2010
Just thought I'd put this out there....

A good, easy & readily available source for distilled water would be a Dehumidifier - right out of the collection bucket.

I would recommend boiling it to kill off any residual contamination from the machine itself - but, otherwise - the water is pure distilled water.
[Reply]
bvilchez 09:27 AM 12-06-2010
I wish I would have known this my last time in the Sandbox. I had the cooks collect the steam from the food they cooked.
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:29 AM 12-06-2010
My good, easy & readily available source for distilled water is Walmart.
[Reply]
T.G 09:36 AM 12-06-2010
Pure distilled water that's full of pollen, dust, and whatever else is floating around in the air with the water vapor...
[Reply]
357 09:55 AM 12-06-2010
I've seen Les Stroud make distilled water by putting a plastic bag over a container with urine in it. It had a small collection cup in the center, and a small rock in the middle of the plastic so the water that collected on the bag would run down to the center and drip into the collection cup.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, but if you're about to die of dehydration in the desert, it could save your life.

:-)

Really, this method can be used on anything with water in it, branches, cactus, rainwater, stagnant water, even sea water. It works even faster if you have a heat source like the ability to put this contraption in the sun.

here's a pic:
[Reply]
Giants85 09:57 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
:-)

Interesting info though.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:01 AM 12-06-2010
Very cool info....but for 69 cents a gallon at Walgreens, I am a slave to The Man. :-)
[Reply]
Conch Republican 10:36 AM 12-06-2010
Really Tom - 69 cents? :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:54 AM 12-06-2010
I always thought it'd be a good idea, but aside from all the dust and spores and pollen, it's loaded with copper oxides.
I put a reverse osmosis system under the sink. That way I have distilled water on tap for my salt water fish tank and my humidors. Mine was a high volume one and cost about $250, but they can be had lots cheaper.
We refill our water bottles from it, too. So we really get our money's worth.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:04 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by Conch Republican:
Really Tom - 69 cents? :-)
Your response made me laugh too...but I am not sure why. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 11:20 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I always thought it'd be a good idea, but aside from all the dust and spores and pollen, it's loaded with copper oxides.
I put a reverse osmosis system under the sink. That way I have distilled water on tap for my salt water fish tank and my humidors. Mine was a high volume one and cost about $250, but they can be had lots cheaper.
I have one too. I love mine. It has something like a 3 gallon tank mounted in the floor joists under the sink. I use it for everything. Really makes a difference in cooking as well. I don't know if I'd call it distilled. but it's pretty damn pure.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the price. Installed, I believe it was around 800.
[Reply]
shilala 11:50 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
I have one too. I love mine. It has something like a 3 gallon tank mounted in the floor joists under the sink. I use it for everything. Really makes a difference in cooking as well. I don't know if I'd call it distilled. but it's pretty damn pure.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the price. Installed, I believe it was around 800.
Mine is a zero ppm, and it has the 3 gallon tank, too. It's specifically for making zero ppm (distilled) water. I put mine in myself, it wasn't a big deal.
Mine is like this. I couldn't find the exact one I got, this Air, Water, Ice place changes their models pretty often.
I got a tester with it, too. You stick it in a glass of water and it tells you how much junk is in the water by parts per million. That's how you tell if you have to change the membrane or filters.
I've never had to change any of that stuff yet and I've had it for at least two years, I'm thinking.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:55 AM 12-06-2010
Purified water via filtration(reverse osmosis) is not the same as distilled water.
[Reply]
shilala 11:58 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Purified water via filtration(reverse osmosis) is not the same as distilled water.
I know the process is different, Bob, but is there a difference in the finished product? I'd think zero stuff in either one is equal, what's the diff between the two?
[Reply]
357 03:35 PM 12-06-2010
I know the process is different, Bob, but is there a difference in the finished product? I'd think zero stuff in either one is equal, what's the diff between the two?
RO forces water through openings so small that many minerals cannot make it through and are thus filtered out. The distillation process (boiling and condensing) is widely considered 100% pure, but is not 100%. In fact RO isn't 100% either. For drinking water quality purposes they are pretty much a wash. RO is widely considered more cost effective, probably because you don't need the energy to boil/evap the water and condense it again. That is why a lot of people have RO systems and not distilleries (not for water any way). :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 04:27 PM 12-06-2010
There is... I did these tests with a water tester a month or so ago for a similar thread.

TDS: Total Dissolved Solid

Tap Water:
From Faucet: 240

Spring Water:
Ice Mountain: 160

Reverse Osmisis
HyVee: 20

Distilled Water:
Great Value: 1

The names of the brands under each category is just a popular source here where I live.
[Reply]
Eleven 05:05 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by 357:
I've seen Les Stroud make distilled water by putting a plastic bag over a container with urine in it. It had a small collection cup in the center, and a small rock in the middle of the plastic so the water that collected on the bag would run down to the center and drip into the collection cup.

I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, but if you're about to die of dehydration in the desert, it could save your life.
I learned this one during the Y2K scare :-)
[Reply]
looking for know 08:52 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Same here.
[Reply]
nick2021 07:52 AM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by looking for know:
Same here.
x2 unless you're in the sandbox, hard to find distilled water...humidification jars help out tremendously in that situation imo
[Reply]
OLS 02:50 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Very cool info....but for 69 cents a gallon at Walgreens, I am a slave to The Man. :-)
hahaa, ain't this the truth. I am thinking, how in the world would collecting de-humidifcation runoff
and boiling it be easier than throwing a 75 cent gallon of water in a buggy? I like the sheet of plastic
dealie-o...Saw that many years ago and was half waiting for a chance to get stranded.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up