Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Most complex and dynamic regular production smoke
weak_link 01:23 PM 12-04-2010
What's the most dynamic or complex regular production smoke you've had recently? I really enjoy cigars with distinct changes throughout the cigar and curious what's good right now. Been smoking pretty much the same stuff for the past year or so and be curious to try some new things.

No one note wonders in this thread, I'm really interested in smokes that taste one way at the beginning and end up tasting like a different smoke by the end.
[Reply]
bishjd123 01:31 PM 12-04-2010
I had a Davidoff Special R. The flavors changed about five times. It was almost hard to keep up with the changes. There was a point in the middle that I distinctly remember; the taste of black licorice. For me, that’s been the most complex cigar in my short time in the hobby.
[Reply]
akumushi 01:41 PM 12-04-2010
It's hard to find that kind of complexity outside of Habanos, IMO. The few NCs I've had that are good, complex and change remarkably from start to finish have pretty much all been limited editions of some sort. The LP Flying Pig, Tat SW Reserva Maduro, and Tat Boris all come to mind. However, if you want to make the most of an NC line you like, the shape and size of the vitola you choose has a lot to do with the way a cigar develops and changes its "tonal color" as you smoke. If you're looking for the most difference from start to finish in any particular line of cigars, the perfecto and figurado are a good place to start. The shape and changing ring gauge guarantee a changing ratio of filler, binder and wrapper, which leads to a change in even the most basic blend. Also, I find that most churchills and DCs change a bit simply because of the physics of the cigar, from light and faint in the beginning to richer and darker at the end. Lanceros also do this to a lesser extent. Stay away from petit robustos, robustos and toros, if you're looking for dynamics. I find that their short length and wide girth actually makes them much more consistant in flavor from start to finish. They can still be complex, in the sense that you get many layers of flavor at once, but this profile tends to remain consistant throughout the cigar.
If you have access to Habanos, the list is pretty much endless, as anything but the cheapest tripa cortas will develop somewhat from start to finish, with some of the Churchills and DCs being real rollercoaster rides. Partagas, H Upman, Ramon Allones and Bolivar all have very strong basic blends that provide a lot of variety, wheras the lighter marcas like Quai D'Orsay and Hoyo De Monterey can be a little less dynamic.:-)
[Reply]
weak_link 01:56 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by akumushi:
If you have access to Habanos,
That's almost all I smoke but wanted to see if there is anything interesting on the NC side. :-)
[Reply]
pinotguy 01:58 PM 12-04-2010
To piggy-back on akumushi's thoughts, I'd say the two smokes that fit what you're looking for would be both of the Tatuaje RC's. These are both (giant) perfectos and, to me, have to be considered some of the most complex NC's out there. They are big, to be sure, and require a definite time commitment but are most rewarding.
[Reply]
thegoldenmackid 02:22 PM 12-04-2010
Opus with five years...? ISOMs are always going to win this one IMO.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 02:28 PM 12-04-2010
Is this what you do when you flake on herfing? Bish, Eric!
[Reply]
jimmyk26 02:29 PM 12-04-2010
There are two that come to mind for me:
1. Davidoff Maduros
2. LP #9

If you are in the mood for an NC maduro, you'll never go wrong with those two. Not that you are specifically asking for a maduro cigar, I just think that if you are considering the most complex NC's these are the two that immediately come to mind.
[Reply]
akumushi 02:46 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by jimmyk26:
There are two that come to mind for me:
1. Davidoff Maduros
2. LP #9

If you are in the mood for an NC maduro, you'll never go wrong with those two. Not that you are specifically asking for a maduro cigar, I just think that if you are considering the most complex NC's these are the two that immediately come to mind.
I'm generally not a huge maduro fan, but I have also noticed that the maduro wrapped NCs are generally more complex than their natural counterparts.
[Reply]
tsolomon 03:13 PM 12-04-2010
Have you tried the Illusione HL or the Tatauaje Especiales? I find these two lanceros to be complex cigars that I always enjoy from start to finish. I still try a lot of different NCs looking for complex and dynamic and I would suggest trying some of the Viajes cigars. I like the 50/50 and the Platino lancero. :-)
[Reply]
weak_link 03:56 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
Have you tried the Illusione HL or the Tatauaje Especiales? I find these two lanceros to be complex cigars that I always enjoy from start to finish. I still try a lot of different NCs looking for complex and dynamic and I would suggest trying some of the Viajes cigars. I like the 50/50 and the Platino lancero. :-)
Those are some of my favorite NC's, nice taste you've got there!
[Reply]
weak_link 03:57 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Is this what you do when you flake on herfing? Bish, Eric!
It's not flaking if I never said I was going bish!! Got the kiddo today and couldn't get a sitter so I could come play.
[Reply]
MiamiE 04:05 PM 12-04-2010
Great post Clayton! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:24 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by MiamiE:
Great post Clayton! :-)
Absolutely. :-)
[Reply]
Ismith75 08:08 PM 12-04-2010
V Figurado
[Reply]
ninjavanish 08:32 PM 12-04-2010
I honestly feel like you guys are overlooking some of the standard cigars...

Obviously Cremosa is the most complex cigar of all.
[Reply]
weak_link 08:35 PM 12-04-2010
All the suggestions have been fantastic but unfortunately for me, I'm familiar with, and enjoy most of them. Was hoping for something new to catch my eye but guess that even with all the new blends coming out all the time my old favorites are still at the top of the pile, the exception being the Liga Privada which I've for some reason avoided. I'll be sure to scoop up a couple since they do seem to get a lot of 'press' around here. Thanks to those who have posted and I encourage more to do so if you have something you love but don't see it listed here.
[Reply]
weak_link 08:37 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
I honestly feel like you guys are overlooking some of the standard cigars...

Obviously Cremosa is the most complex cigar of all.
While notes of spoiled trout rolling into dogie doo-doo are wonderful I was hoping for something a bit...different.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:41 PM 12-04-2010
Coronados seem to fit this bill.
[Reply]
Ismith75 08:43 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Coronados seem to fit this bill.
One of my favorites! :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up